Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Excited to watch him pitch in the bigs but the timing is curious. Not the move I would have made, but is what it is I suppose. 

He ultimately forced the issue with this recent stretch of dominance.  The more I think about it, the harder it would have been to justify sending him back down there to start 2019.  Spending parts of three seasons in AAA would have been ridiculous for a prospect of his caliber.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He ultimately forced the issue with this recent stretch of dominance.  The more I think about it, the harder it would have been to justify sending him back down there to start 2019.  Spending parts of three seasons in AAA would have been ridiculous for a prospect of his caliber.

Except it’s total AAA innings...that’s very deceptive, because he came up very late at the end of last year.  And his ERA was well into the 4’s about six weeks ago.   If he gets lit up, there will be many who argue he was rushed to placate the fanbase.

In fact, some of the AAA/AA competition might be better than what the Twins, Royals and Tigers are sending out there right now.

46 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

White Sox are always gonna white sox it up.

This is dumb. Either right after the trade deadline, or next April was the right move. Its stuff like this that makes fans think KW & Hahn are stoooopud.

Here's hoping that  somehow, THIS prospect breaks the losing streak of Fulmer, Giolito, and Lopez, despite having pretty much all of the same coaches as they did.

He was absolutely not pitching well enough to deserve a callup at the trade deadline. He is now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Who cares man? The kid looks ready for the Show and that is all that should matter. You can't hide these kids down in the minors forever. 

What does that even mean? Have we been keeping him down for so long? Tell me how long we’ve been keeping him down? That is a ridiculous statement. They weren’t going to keep him down more than this year so your saying 2 years is keeping them down forever. Wow! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would be nice if he did not have the worst qualified ERA in the league in 2019.

Positive spin, if you look really hard and squint...or just throw out April and May altogether, Giolito would be an okay 5th starter.  Or we can blame the defense, umpiring, etc.

Covey and Lopez falling back hasn’t helped much either.  Of course, if we can screen for positive, the reverse should be equally true...Moncada would be the worst player in baseball if we threw out his first two months.

Edited by caulfield12

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except it’s total AAA innings...that’s very deceptive, because he came up very late at the end of last year.  And his ERA was well into the 4’s about six weeks ago.   If he gets lit up, there will be many who argue he was rushed to placate the fanbase.

They can argue that all they want, but it would be an awful argument. Kopech has been "ready" to at least pitch in the Majors for months. At this point, he's as "ready" as a pitching prospect can be.

I'm not gonna hold those two June starts (which heavily inflate his rate stats) against him, especially when he was dealing with an unexpected death in the family that he admitted has really been tough on him. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

If he struggles, how long before he is proclaimed a bust? 

First start. The service time group will be out in force. While there is merit to that philosophy, I still think he needs September to learn and extend his innings to 180 or so.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is far too late to be worth a call up. 

I hope Eloy gets called up this week...going to the game in Detroit on Saturday, and will juuust miss the Kopech start. Would love to see Eloy at least. Not sure it makes sense to call him up before the september callups though.

Edited by Scoots

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Isn't there also a days on the roster number?  Like maybe 40?

There is but I don't think it is going to affect him. Per wikipedia: "...and also fewer than 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1)."