Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

28 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but a quote from Rick Hahn:

“Outside noise or emotion or even passion or excitement for seeing the rebuild progress has nothing to do with our decisions in terms of the timing of promotions,” Hahn said. “Each of these decisions are motivated by what’s best in terms of putting both the organization and the individual player in the best long-term position to reach their potential..."

I personally think this should be the benchmark for the next guys that will get called up.

It says both the organization and player, so extra years of control is still in play. It's total Hahn speak. You think he told you something, when in essence, it's a bunch of nothing. 

31 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but a quote from Rick Hahn:

“Outside noise or emotion or even passion or excitement for seeing the rebuild progress has nothing to do with our decisions in terms of the timing of promotions,” Hahn said. “Each of these decisions are motivated by what’s best in terms of putting both the organization and the individual player in the best long-term position to reach their potential..."

I personally think this should be the benchmark for the next guys that will get called up.

Even if this was a complete lie, this is what Rick Hahn should and would say to the press and fans.

5 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

If Kopech is as good as many people think he will be, I think we will end up wishing they hadn't done this in a few years.

What if doing this is one of the reasons he’s good?  Experience is not nothing.  Most guys need a lot of time to acclimate to the majors.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

What if doing this is one of the reasons he’s good?  Experience is not nothing.  Most guys need a lot of time to acclimate to the majors.

I think it's a reach to think some games against the 2018 Twins and Royals and Orioles are the difference between him being successful and not. And if he needs all this time to acclimate, isn't it a sign he is not ready? I wouldn't go that far to say he hasn't earned a call up, but if he is going to struggle for quite a while, it would show he needs a  bit more seasoning.  2019 right now isn't a contending season. It may be, but a lot would have to go right. Probably a lot more than the recent seasons when the Sox tried to contend. If Kopech can't get his feet under him after 25-30 starts next season, IMO, he wasn't ready.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't either. However, I'm still concerned that the Sox aren't here once JR isn't here. For some horrible reason, I think he's the only one keeping them in Chicago. It wouldn't shock me if they moved to Charlotte after he passes. 

On topic, I'm no longer on the Kopech=Closer train. His last 7 starts or so have answered all of the concerns I've had about him. I think he could be the ace that we're looking for. If he's an ace, the Sale trade is already a win and whatever they get from Moncada/Basabe is gravy. 

Always remember,  Forbes Magazine says the White Sox are 14th in revenue in MLB. They wouldn't be bringing in that type of revenue if they moved to Charlotte or anywhere else.  Also there are at least 3 Chicago potential groups who want to buy the White Sox. I'm sure that if and when the White Sox are sold it will be to somebody from Chicago. That  being said I wish he would sell the team ASAP.

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it's a reach to think some games against the 2018 Twins and Royals and Orioles are the difference between him being successful and not. And if he needs all this time to acclimate, isn't it a sign he is not ready? I wouldn't go that far to say he hasn't earned a call up, but if he is going to struggle for quite a while, it would show he needs a  bit more seasoning.  2019 right now isn't a contending season. It may be, but a lot would have to go right. Probably a lot more than the recent seasons when the Sox tried to contend. If Kopech can't get his feet under him after 25-30 starts next season, IMO, he wasn't ready.

We also have series against the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs and the Indians twice. So he's likely to face at least a couple legit major league lineups that sill have something to play for. And even the crappy royals/tigers/orioles lineups have guys that will pose more of a challenge than his potential triple a opponents. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As I've said Kopech is Sale 2.0 in mind and body.  I like TA's confidence as well but he's just not a superstar talent like Kopech.  Hopefully Kopech's arm can match his confidence because I agree that this team needs an influx of talent and attitude.  

I think Kopech 6'3-205 has a much better body than Sale 6'6-180.  I hope Kopech's build translates into more durability. Both have showed poor judgement in the past but both have seemed to settle down the last few years. 

1 hour ago, joejoedairy said:

We also have series against the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs and the Indians twice. So he's likely to face at least a couple legit major league lineups that sill have something to play for. And even the crappy royals/tigers/orioles lineups have guys that will pose more of a challenge than his potential triple a opponents. 

Red Sox are already juggling guys in and out of lineup and 10 day DL to rest players. 

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think Kopech 6'3-205 has a much better body than Sale 6'6-180.  I hope Kopech's build translates into more durability. Both have showed poor judgement in the past but both have seemed to settle down the last few years. 

Kopech has a power pitchers body.  Chris Sale is a freak of nature.

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This should also be for Eloy.  They both need to be up here and get a taste to learn what they need to improve on in the offseason.  Destroying minor league pitching will not help him learn his where his weaknesses are. Both Kopech and Eloy need this time to learn what they need to improve on in the offseason.  They can only get that from the major leagues

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

That's why he is coming up imo.  He needs to start learning how to attack stars vs prospects and scrubs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

No. It's your same arguement and I don't expect you to understand but I'm going to say it again anyway. MLB hitters are better than minor league hitters. He needs to learn to pitch to them. Even the hitters of the lowly twins and Baltimore are better than most minor league hitters, plus with the advanced scouting in the MLB hitters are more prepared to face him.

He also needs to build up his innings this year to pitch a full season next year. Also just because he may struggle doesn't mean he wasn't ready. Making the jump to the MLB is a big jump. He needs to learn how to do that at the MLB level. He can't learn that at AAA.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't really think frame has much if anything to do with longevity and health in a pitcher.  I think it's just genetics and how many max effort throws you can get out of a shoulder and elbow.  

I think it does have an impact. Is it the only factor, no. But on average it does.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I find it fascinating they had the jerseys of his in storage for a while waiting to be put out at the Sports Depot as soon as he was called up.  

You can bet they have Jimenez ones as well, whether it turns out to be this year or next. They will not miss capitalizing on the excitement (profit) of his debut.

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Always remember,  Forbes Magazine says the White Sox are 14th in revenue in MLB. They wouldn't be bringing in that type of revenue if they moved to Charlotte or anywhere else.  Also there are at least 3 Chicago potential groups who want to buy the White Sox. I'm sure that if and when the White Sox are sold it will be to somebody from Chicago. That  being said I wish he would sell the team ASAP.

You are looking at the wrong chart. The Sox are 14th in team value. They are tied for 16, 17 and18th in team revenue according to the latest forbes article.

Did the Mets get 7 years of control with deGrom and Syndegaard?  Just curious.  Because they were supposed to dominate the decade with a rotation centered around Harvey, Wheeler,  Matz, etc.

Have the Braves been holding back their young pitchers to get that extra year?

Premium young hitters would seem to be the more precious commodity these days.  (That said, obviously those team-purchased control years/options on Sale and Q played a huge role in expanding their trade value...and it’s also possible that Hahn feels more confident they can go that direction with Jimenez, who didn’t get all his riches upfront like Moncada and Robert.)

1 minute ago, justBLAZE said:

Taking this slightly off topic, how's the demand for tickets for tomorrows game?

I usually buy online but thinking of buying at box office right before game time since still waiting on confirmation from couple friends.  

Will lower bowl seats be available?

Heard on radio couple thousand sold already since announcement and expectation is mid 20s

• Like 1