Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

I like that it appears he'd rather give up a weak hit (or a solid one) than walk anybody.  The 3-0 fastball with the bases juiced that he put top of the zone right down broadway was a good example of that mindset (and skill that allows it).  So was the eventual double play on a well placed fastball down.  The spin rate is huge for Kopech.  Allows him to dial it down to 94-95 for better command and still be successful.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I like that it appears he'd rather give up a weak hit (or a solid one) than walk anybody.  The 3-0 fastball with the bases juiced that he put top of the zone right down broadway was a good example of that mindset (and skill that allows it).  So was the eventual double play on a well placed fastball down.  The spin rate is huge for Kopech.  Allows him to dial it down to 94-95 for better command and still be successful.

The thing that I have noticed in his first two starts is that he is absolutely not scared.  He trusts his stuff to the point where he feels like can challenge you, and even if you know what is coming, you aren't going to hit it.

We have seen it with guys like Lucas and Dylan Covey.  They get into situations and they nibble and try to be perfect, and it amplifies the problem. Kopech just looks at the hitter and thinks F You, you can't hit me.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What does the spin rate have to with FB at a lower velocity?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

What does the spin rate have to with FB at a lower velocity?

Keeps the hard contact down even at those velocities.  I'm not a huge spin rate guy, or at least wasn't coming into this year, but based on the visual evidence so far hitters have a tough time squaring up his fastball, even at 94-95 and down the middle up.  When I heard about his spin rate (apparently it's best in the majors currently) it made perfect sense.

Lopez throws those 95 mph heaters and they get crushed.  Kopech seems to be able to get away with it.  Again, I was not tuned into to spin rate before this season and had no idea what a "rising fastball" really meant, but I read some articles on it and it seems to be a thing, even if the ball isn't really rising, just not dropping throws hitters off.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Keeps the hard contact down even at those velocities.  I'm not a huge spin rate guy, or at least wasn't coming into this year, but based on the visual evidence so far hitters have a tough time squaring up his fastball, even at 94-95 and down the middle up.  When I heard about his spin rate (apparently it's best in the majors currently) it made perfect sense.

Lopez throws those 95 mph heaters and they get crushed.  Kopech seems to be able to get away with it.  Again, I was not tuned into to spin rate before this season and had no idea what a "rising fastball" really meant, but I read some articles on it and it seems to be a thing, even if the ball isn't really rising, just not dropping throws hitters off.

I get that spin rate alters the path of the ball. With a 4 seam FB it doesn't drop as much and is straighter,  this may be why they seem to foul so many off. 

I'm just not sure how spin rate equates to softer contact. 

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I get that spin rate alters the path of the ball. With a 4 seam FB it doesn't drop as much and is straighter,  this may be why they seem to foul so many off. 

I'm just not sure how spin rate equates to softer contact. 

I'm sure a number of FOs have data on exit velocity and spin rate and any correlation (and causation) between the two.  

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm sure a number of FOs have data on exit velocity and spin rate and any correlation (and causation) between the two.  

Found an article that made some sense. The high spin rate FB stayed higher so hitters swung under the ball to either miss it or pop it up.  Could lead to some homers though. 5his could explain With so many hitters foul Kopech pitches straight back.

It also said low spin rate is also good for FB as these dropped more so hitters pounded it into the ground and hit very few homers.

What you don't want are the average ones that look like everybody else's. 

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Found an article that made some sense. The high spin rate FB stayed higher so hitters swung under the ball to either miss it or pop it up.  Could lead to some homers though. 5his could explain With so many hitters foul Kopech pitches straight back.

It also said low spin rate is also good for FB as these dropped more so hitters pounded it into the ground and hit very few homers.

What you don't want are the average ones that look like everybody else's. 

That makes sense. Would go along with something I found on Lopez that says he might benefit to drop him arm angle to get more movement because, if I'm not mistaken, his FB has low spin rate.

4 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That makes sense. Would go along with something I found on Lopez that says he might benefit to drop him arm angle to get more movement because, if I'm not mistaken, his FB has low spin rate.

According to the article, low spin rate is good as well because it makes it drop more while maintaining velocity.