Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

This is surprising. I'm not sure why they waited so long. I figured if they were going to start his clock this season then he would have been called up in early July the latest. I wonder if Kopech being openly agitated about being held down had something to do with it. And that is just based on some of his social media posts which were likely toned down compared to his real feelings. Agitation was probably developing into anger. 

7 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

If Shields being dealt was a must before Kopech was called up then Hahn is an idiot. You bullpen or DFA shields and give Kopech starts right after the trade deadline. 

100%.  Shields should have no bearing on Kopech’s arrival and if it does then god help us all.

• Like 1

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

Why is it less bad with Kopech?

Because he’s a pitcher. The experience he could pick up now might be more valuable...plus he’s older and been in Charlotte all season.

Eloy is a freak. He’s going to start a great career at 22 next April...I hope.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, flavum said:

I will say, the service time thing isn’t as bad with Kopech. I get it.

Calling up Eloy will legit piss me off unless they have an 8 yr deal signed.

My thoughts as well. Really hope they keep Eloy down but I’m cool with this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Who cares man? The kid looks ready for the Show and that is all that should matter. You can't hide these kids down in the minors forever. 

Uh, nobody said to "hide him in the minors forever." That's what we call a strawman. I care, man. I care because there's value in an extra year. I care because it looks like a waste of value for no reason other than placate the annoyingly vocal shortsighted side of the fanbase. There's no logical reason to waste a year of service time for a team 32 games under .500. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Why is it less bad with Kopech?

Kopech hit AAA last year. The top pitching prospect in baseball need not spend 3 parts of seasons in AAA. Thats borderline ridiculous and probably would piss off people you dont want to piss off. Eloy has been in AAA less than 2 months. Much more justifiable.  My only issue is this should have happened a few weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Uh, nobody said to "hide him in the minors forever." That's what we call a strawman. I care, man. I care because there's value in an extra year. I care because it looks like a waste of value for no reason other than placate the annoyingly vocal shortsighted side of the fanbase. There's no logical reason to waste a year of service time for a team 32 games under .500. 

It's the way you phrased it man. It sounds like you are concerned that the Sox are gonna lose a top 50 prospect 5 years down the line when the Sox are trying to trade  Kopech ala the Sale deal. 

The prospect hoarding and teardown part of the rebuild are ovah!  

Some of us would like to see a competitve Sox team within the next few years. Bringing Kopech up now and getting him some mlb experience moves the needle towards that. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It only makes sense if they plan on being competitive in 2019 and that’s seems like a stretch given how most of the young guys have played this year.

• Like 2

I am sympathetic to the view that pitcher health is so hard to project 6 years into the future that you need to optimize for the next 2-3 years and just let the rest shake out. And if they are about to trade Shields and ended up calling Spencer Adams or something, it would have made the games they're (no longer) playing way too obvious.