32-34 since July 10

Greg Hibbard

On 8/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Oh yea and Gio was great again. 8 Of last 11 are quality starts. That’s a third of a season worth of starts. This rotation is really starting to come together. A terrific development heading into the offseason.

9 of last 12 for Gio.

https://www.mlb.com/news/10-interesting-facts-about-the-2018-white-sox/c-292628794

2. Lucas Giolito may have solved some of his problems
Speaking of highly-touted pitching prospects, Giolito was acquired in the Eaton deal, but the early results have been, well, disastrous. As recently as 10 days ago, Giolito's ERA was north of 6.00. For most of the season, it was fair to suggest he was the least effective starter in the Majors, and even at the time of the trade, there were concerns about his actual ceiling due to unimpressive velocity and spin.

Those questions still remain, for what it's worth, but we've at least seen some real signs of improvement. After allowing a .363 OBP and 6.26 ERA through the end of July, Giolito has allowed a .272 OBP and a 3.86 ERA in August. He just held the powerful Red Sox to only two hits over 6 1/3 innings on Thursday. The reasons why are more complicated than we can get into here, but let's at least point out two big changes:

A. Giolito has added a ton of velocity. His four-seam fastball averaged 91.2 mph in April, but it's up to 93.5 mph in August. Among all pitchers who threw 100 four-seamers in both months, only three, Mike Fiers(+3.1 mph), Matthew Boyd (+3 mph), and Cole Hamels (+2.4 mph) have had a bigger increase than Giolito's +2.3 mph.

B. Giolito's changeup is moving more. In April, May and June, his change had about 7 inches of horizontal movement. In August, that's over 13 inches of movement, which is a tremendous in-season change.

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Seriously. My biggest concern heading into the offseason. 

For real.  But end of last year he wasn’t throwing 95 mph gas right?  He was just “pitching” REEEEALLY well with 91-93 mph moving stuff and good high changes.  Or am I remembering wrong?

On 8/20/2018 at 7:43 AM, Dick Allen said:

They won 3 in Tampa, and took 2 out of 3 vs. KC and Det, 2 horrible teams.  Other than that, they have continued to suck. But they should be a little better as they play teams playing out the string or pretty much having their playoff fates sealed when they play them. 

They always have a chance when Rodon is pitching, and Covey is either really good or really bad, but the other starters haven't really stepped it up. The bullpen, for the most part with what's there, who cares?  Abreu came out of his slump, Narvaez is hitting, but is he really an answer behind the plate? Other than that, and an occassional Palka HR, I don't see what has changed.

Do the Red Sox and Yankees qualify as “terrible” teams because the White Sox would be 5-0 against them this week with a viable bullpen, which they’ll have next season between AA/AAA promotions and a couple free agent signings. The bullpen is already improved with the recent promotions of Hamilton and Burr. Just wait until Burdi, Frare, Ruiz, Johnson get here along with a couple veterans...has the potential to be dominant.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Am I crazy for thinking that this team, with no major free agent signings, is an ~81 win team in 2019? 

Depends on whether the performance improvements by Gio and Lopez are sustainable. If yes, they can win 81 or more. I would like to see them sign a 3rd baseman with some pop, even if not named Machado. If Engle maintains his trajectory and Avi can return to close to last years form, who's to say they can't compete for WC next year? 

9 hours ago, Flash said:

Depends on whether the performance improvements by Gio and Lopez are sustainable. If yes, they can win 81 or more. I would like to see them sign a 3rd baseman with some pop, even if not named Machado. If Engle maintains his trajectory and Avi can return to close to last years form, who's to say they can't compete for WC next year? 

I'm not sure Avi will have a full time role next year. Eloy will 've up at some point and the C.F. will also be RH. That leaves the RF as the only possibility for a LH. Renters seems to like the matchup the with LH and RH. Right now the only possible other LH are Narvaez, Moncada and Sanchez. I'm sure they'll look to upgrade Sanchez at 3B and Castillo will be the primary catcher. So Moncada and DH are the only consistent LH.

Edited by ptatc