Is Luis Gonzalez really this good?

zisk

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Reports last year at the time of the trade is Blake didn't project as a CF defensively.  Also, from the games I've seen on tv, Gonzalez makes the most consistent hard contact between himself, Gonzalez and Basabe.  In regards to scouting the game logs, Basabe seems to strike out looking a lot and needs work on his stealing technique.

From what I’ve seen, Basabe definitely K’s a lot looking.  And I may be in the minority, but I’d rather see that than a lot of swing & miss.  Becoming more aggressive is something that can be addressed with time, a lack of plate discipline or a giant hole in your swing is much harder to correct IMO.

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Not all of these guys will make it. AA is essentially a big death sentence as I've seen alot of prospects in the past covering FS struggle after people once thought they were something. If I were a betting man, I'd say Eloy is definitely in, Robert will essentially be in (especially with what the Sox invented in him) and the 3rd spot will be between the other guys. I believe one or two of those guys will also be traded at some point, whether that's a prospect swap or a bigger trade down the road. Adolfo has the biggest upside out of the rest of the guys (not counting Eloy or Robert) but he's definitely the biggest risk with him being made of glass. The other guys it depends on the day. Alot of good qualities I see in Basabe, Rutherford, Gonzalez, etc.

Plus I have a feeling the Sox may use this depth to help fill other areas of need via trade. Good problem to have though!

15 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Basabe could turn into a 5 tool player given his skillset: Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

I don't think the hit ever gets to 50, but 40/45 might be doable. You are looking at a ceiling of a plus defense, .240 to .260 hitter with the chance for 20 home runs and 20 steals. Certainly a valuable player.

Basabe is unlikely to crack the majors until 2020, and should start 2019 in AA, with the potential to be bumped up to AAA halfway or so through the season. Given time he could blossom into a starter. 

Ideally the player you described wouldn't be good enough to start for the 2020 and beyond White Sox. It'll be interesting to see how they manage it if, say, Robert, Gonzalez, and Rutherford/Adolfo become starting caliber OFs, and they decide Collins isn't a full time C, but is a bat they want in the lineup. 1B/DH would likely turn into a rotation at that point.

19 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Ideally the player you described wouldn't be good enough to start for the 2020 and beyond White Sox. It'll be interesting to see how they manage it if, say, Robert, Gonzalez, and Rutherford/Adolfo become starting caliber OFs, and they decide Collins isn't a full time C, but is a bat they want in the lineup. 1B/DH would likely turn into a rotation at that point.

Prospects are trade currency as well as potential major leaguers. A .250 AVG / .330 OBP / .430 SLG center fielder with above average speed and defense is absolutely good enough to start on a contender. Guessing that would end up being a 2.0 - 3.5 WAR player. 

48 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Personally I think Basabe is the perfect 4th outfielder. Can fill into any spot and with good defense, can hit at any point in the lineup, good on base skills, a little pop, switch hitter, pretty speedy, etc. 

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Personally I think Basabe is the perfect 4th outfielder. Can fill into any spot and with good defense, can hit at any point in the lineup, good on base skills, a little pop, switch hitter, pretty speedy, etc. 

This is what I see for Basabe as well, and it's not a bad thing. As for Gonzalez, the stats are impressive so far, but as a polished college hitter, Birmingham will really tell the tale. Here's hoping for a big 2019 for him!

37 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

This is what I see for Basabe as well, and it's not a bad thing. As for Gonzalez, the stats are impressive so far, but as a polished college hitter, Birmingham will really tell the tale. Here's hoping for a big 2019 for him!

While Basabe could be a great fourth outfielder, he is still just 22 years old (on August 26th) and is already in AA. There is absolutely the potential to be a quality regular there, along the lines of a poor man's Lorenzo Cain. 

Gonzalez is a full year older, and really needs to be tested against AA to determine his future trajectory. Upside exists for him to play center field, or be a darn good fourth outfielder. 

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

While Basabe could be a great fourth outfielder, he is still just 22 years old (on August 26th) and is already in AA. There is absolutely the potential to be a quality regular there, along the lines of a poor man's Lorenzo Cain.

Oh definitely. I agree and hope he breaks through.

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have to imagine we'll start seeing Gonzalez on top 100 lists this offseason?  The kid looks the part. 

I would think not because publications have a huge bias against college players below AA. Gonzalez is the type of guy I'd expect to see on mid 2019 lists if he keeps doing this in Birmingham, though.

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

I would think not because publications have a huge bias against college players below AA. Gonzalez is the type of guy I'd expect to see on mid 2019 lists if he keeps doing this in Birmingham, though.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have to imagine we'll start seeing Gonzalez on top 100 lists this offseason?  The kid looks the part. 

I think he’ll definitely makes Fangraphs top 100 list this offseason.  Not sure about the other major publications.  Didn’t someone mention that Keith Law really likes him? 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he’ll definitely makes Fangraphs top 100 list this offseason.  Not sure about the other major publications.  Didn’t someone mention that Keith Law really likes him? 

I wouldn't say "really likes", but he does think Gonzalez can be an average regular. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Law really likes Gonzalez compared to Rutherford and Sheets, who he saw on the same trip and did not speak highly of.

• danman31 changed the title to Is Luis Gonzalez really this good?