Nationals Fire Sale begins

LittleHurt05

OK, this is probably a dumb question...but how does this work? I mean, Daniel Murphy must have cleared waivers so that he can be traded outright, but what about the players the Cubs are giving to the Nats? Did they have to clear waivers too? What about trading minor league players in August?

It seems like a really dumb time to do this, either way. No way in Hell they're going to get the return for, say, Harper that they might have secured three weeks ago, right?

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

you can trade someone not on the 40 man roster.  Dodgers could have enough in their minor league system to make this tempting for Nationals.  Guys like Lux and Ruiz might not be on the 40 man?

Almost positive neither are and both would almost certainly be valued more than the 1st round pick the Nationals will get if Harper signs elsewhere this offseason.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well every team can place a claim on a player. No team before the Dodgers would have won the claim?

For low level teams, no reason to do so.  If you aren't contending, why bother?  You aren't going to package up prospects for a guy who is leaving in two months.  The teams below the Dodgers really don't have a chance at contending anyways.  There is also probably an element of believing they won't trade Harper anyway.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They have the worst record of the NL teams in contention. So, basically they were first in line.

This is exactly how they won the claim.  Pretty much standard procedure because even if they don't get him they block anyone else from getting him.  This kind of stuff has happened for years without really getting reported on.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

For low level teams, no reason to do so.  If you aren't contending, why bother?  You aren't going to package up prospects for a guy who is leaving in two months.  The teams below the Dodgers really don't have a chance at contending anyways.  There is also probably an element of believing they won't trade Harper anyway.

Because teams can block other teams. Example: Giants put a claim in and win it with zero motivation to even discuss a deal. Then after 48 hours, Harper gets pulled back by the Nats.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, but that team would have been silly. 

I don't get how their record is so poor.  I was watching their game last night and it seems they have 11 or 12 above average "name" hitters on their roster.  I hope they get into NL Wild Card and play Cubs in NLDS.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don't get how their record is so poor.  I was watching their game last night and it seems they have 11 or 12 above average "name" hitters on their roster.  I hope they get into NL Wild Card and play Cubs in NLDS.

They were 12-16 through april, 26-30 through May.   Losing Seager and starting the year without Turner didnt help, plus Kershaw has been on and off the DL.  

30 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Because teams can block other teams. Example: Giants put a claim in and win it with zero motivation to even discuss a deal. Then after 48 hours, Harper gets pulled back by the Nats.

Yes, but it's money they would have to pay if they somehow were awarded the claim. SF might have a luxury tax problem as well, and I do think there is some reciprocity. Some year when the Giants are contending and the Dodgers not, if they claimed him this year, maybe that happens the wrong way for them in the future. Best not to worry about other teams when you are out of it. 

16 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What was the point of WASH holding onto Harper? There's virtually no chance he signs an extension there, so why not deal him?

Why do you think they have no chance of re-signing him? They have $$