Nationals Fire Sale begins

LittleHurt05

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Why do you think they have no chance of re-signing him? They have $$

The belief is they can't outbid the usual suspects when it comes to big time contracts.

It's too bad, but i wouldn't be surprised if Boston and NYY each had one of Harper, Trout

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What was the point of WASH holding onto Harper? There's virtually no chance he signs an extension there, so why not deal him?

They were 5.5 games back on the day of the trade deadline. In 2015 the White Sox held onto Samardzija and said "If we keep playing like this we'll be right there at the end" when they were 11.5 games back on July 31. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They were 5.5 games back on the day of the trade deadline. In 2015 the White Sox held onto Samardzija and said "If we keep playing like this we'll be right there at the end" when they were 11.5 games back on July 31. 

Technically, saying "if we keep playing like this" in the middle of an 8 or 9 game win streak (if memory serves) *should* have led to a playoff berth! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

The belief is they can't outbid the usual suspects when it comes to big time contracts.

It's too bad, but i wouldn't be surprised if Boston and NYY each had one of Harper, Trout

I do think that Harper ends up with the Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, or Cubs. But honestly, Trout doesn't strike me as a guy who would just take the money and play in Boston/NY.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I do think that Harper ends up with the Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, or Cubs. But honestly, Trout doesn't strike me as a guy who would just take the money and play in Boston/NY.

I'm inclined to agree with your opinion about Trout but I wouldn't blame him for going somewhere relevant.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I mean he's from New Jersey so he may well want to go closer to home.

If you put a weapon to my head today I'd guess the Phillies. 

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean right now. Why not complete a waiver trade? He's not returning to DC and some lottery tickets in A ball is better than nothing.

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

cool

Just now, soxfan49 said:

I mean right now. Why not complete a waiver trade? He's not returning to DC and some lottery tickets in A ball is better than nothing.

The team will get crucified in the media if all they get is a lottery ticket. They will hold onto him and claim "we were so close." To pacify the fan base. They were in a no win situation with the way a talented team underperformed. The Sox could trade a star like Sale because they really didn't have much to work with and everyone knew it. The Nationals really have a talented team and they spent money on Scherzer to help. It just didnt work for some reason.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

What was the point of WASH holding onto Harper? There's virtually no chance he signs an extension there, so why not deal him?

Pointless to only deal with one team. Dodgers may have thrown a really low-ball offer out there on the off change the Nats accepted. They should have traded him in July when they could negotiate with everyone.

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What shot does an A ball lottery ticket have at ever seeing the big leagues?

Well at least by a-ball you filter out some of the 2nd rounders who can't even get that far. I mean, think about our A-ball team this year, if we were a better team wouldn't you part with one of those OFs for a month of Harper?

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Pointless to only deal with one team. Dodgers may have thrown a really low-ball offer out there on the off change the Nats accepted. They should have traded him in July when they could negotiate with everyone.

If the Dodgers were doing anything other than blocking, wouldn't they have at least considered a decent offer? They probably could use him.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well at least by a-ball you filter out some of the 2nd rounders who can't even get that far. I mean, think about our A-ball team this year, if we were a better team wouldn't you part with one of those OFs for a month of Harper?

Honestly, I wouldn't. I'd rather roll the dice on 6-7 years of Adolfo/Rutherford etc. becoming Major Leaguers than have that one month of Harper, even if we were a playoff team. If we're talking about an Alex Call/Joel Booker type, then I'd probably do it. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I don't get how their record is so poor.  I was watching their game last night and it seems they have 11 or 12 above average "name" hitters on their roster.  I hope they get into NL Wild Card and play Cubs in NLDS.

They need a lot of help in the bullpen. They should get serious about fixing it since they do want to win since they got Machado.  Maybe the Sox still have a shot ae moving Cedeno and/or Avilan . Just give us Verdugo.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They need a lot of help in the bullpen. They should get serious about fixing it since they do want to win since they got Machado.  Maybe the Sox still have a shot ae moving Cedeno and/or Avilan . Just give us Verdugo.

No way those guys get through the AL. Plus Verdugo would have to pass as well.

Edited by soxfan2014

Honestly, I wouldn't. I'd rather roll the dice on 6-7 years of Adolfo/Rutherford etc. becoming Major Leaguers than have that one month of Harper, even if we were a playoff team. If we're talking about an Alex Call/Joel Booker type, then I'd probably do it. 

Actually you know what? I wonder if the Dodgers could have added Harper and stayed under the Luxury Tax. After all their trade deadline moves I doubt they could, they'd have had to send salary back and they couldn't do that unless they had someone else who had passed through waivers. That would mean the Dodgers were 100% just blocking their competition.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Actually you know what? I wonder if the Dodgers could have added Harper and stayed under the Luxury Tax. After all their trade deadline moves I doubt they could, they'd have had to send salary back and they couldn't do that unless they had someone else who had passed through waivers. That would mean the Dodgers were 100% just blocking their competition.

Damn that's a good point too. Prevent the teams better than you from getting better for the playoffs.

Edited by soxfan2014