2019 Schedule

flavum

2 hours ago, flavum said:

How would you schedule games? Keep in mind 81 home 81 road, 24 off days per team, 76 division games, and teams in warm weather and domes don’t want excessive April games either- their kids go to school too. 

For the good of the game warm weather teams and domed sites are going to have to bite the bullet and play more April home games than teams in the North and / or colder weather cities.

Pay each team that has to go through this "inconvenience"  X millions of dollars out of the MLB central fund for it. With MLB a 10 Billion dollar a year business they can easily afford it. As long as you pay them they'll fall in line for lost revenue because the kids are in school.

Fans (who pay the freight and drive the train) shouldn't have to sit through 35 degree weather to watch baseball. Players should not have to try to play in it and risk injury because of it.

Start the season later. You can play regularly scheduled split DH's on a regular basis, to make up for the time lost as well and still be able to charge two admissions (or even better require every MLB team to play a real old fashioned DH). Or you can actually cut the season down from 162 games back to 154 or 145 or so. And this actually has been reported as being discussed at the highest levels in MLB over the past season or two. That is still plenty of games to determine teams that deserve to go to the post season. 

These are simple common sense solutions and you'll see better baseball. (Ever try to throw a breaking ball in 35 degree weather, or try to hit an inside fast ball in it? I have and it's no fun either way...)

And if you are to believe those who feel the climate is changing at some point MLB may have to address this issue regardless of if they like it or not.

Just my opinions.

Edited by Lip Man 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For the good of the game warm weather teams and domed sites are going to have to bite the bullet and play more April home games than teams in the North and / or colder weather cities.

Pay each team that has to go through this "inconvenience"  X millions of dollars out the the MLB central fund for it. With MLB a 10 Billion dollar a year business they can easily afford it. As long as you pay them they'll fall in line for lost revenue because the kids are in school.

Fans (who pay the freight and drive the train) shouldn't have to sit through 35 degree weather to watch baseball. Players should not have to try to play in it and risk injury because of it.

Start the season later. You can play regularly scheduled split DH's on a regular basis, to make up for the time lost as well (or even better require every MLB team to play a real old fashioned DH).

These are simple common sense solutions and you'll see better baseball. (Ever try to throw a breaking ball in 35 degree weather, or try to hit an inside fast ball in it? I have and it's no fun either way...)

LOL.  Never realized Lip was on the "F the cheap ass millionaire owners" train. Good luck with that proposal, but I'm on your side.

8 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

LOL.  Never realized Lip was on the "F the cheap ass millionaire owners" train. Good luck with that proposal, but I'm on your side.

Hurt thanks for the support! LOL

Seriously to me it not a question of being "for" the owners or "against" them, its trying to improve the quality of the play on the field as well as improving things for the fans who in part make it possible for these folks to make the money they do and get the stadiums they play in both owners and players.

Improving those conditions given the financial state of MLB isn't too big of a price to pay in my opinion.