Luis Avilan traded to Phillies for Felix Paulino

Sleepy Harold

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At the very least, you claim a guy who you are willing to take on at his salary and you can use.  All of MLB knew he was available, so it isn't like a Bryce Harper situation where teams might not even bother.  As long as you want them, there is no downside to a claim.  If a deal doesn't work it doesn't work.  But that doesn't stop another deal.

True

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not overly surprised by this return.  When Avilan didn’t get moved in July, I figured there must not be much of a market.  Moving him is still the right move, just to give our minor league lefties more opportunities.

Yeah he is just a guy. He isn’t terrible. He isn’t outstanding. Just kind of blah. Sometimes blah is good.

Like a few have stated throughout this thread, the Sox have Fry, Bummer, Frare, plus Cedeno. Avilan was expendable. I am a little surprised more teams didn't have any interest in him. Still would rather give guys like Fry and Bummer more chances though if the Sox felt Avilan didn't have a place moving forward. At the end of the day, he was a LOOGY on a bad team with good K/9. That *should* be replicable when the time come to repeat.

If the Sox don't place him on the 40-man roster this year, he'll be subject to the rule 5 draft.  But he's probably a very low risk of being taken.  He's struggled on the move from A to AA, so a team that drafted him would be taking a pretty big gamble to move him up to the major league (25-man) roster.  Of course, the Sox wouldn't have done the deal if they didn't feel he had some promise. 

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't see why any should be concerned with the 40 man this offseason. I see at least 12 names on the current 40 man that if the White Sox punted on, no one would blink an eye. And there are several more that would be, who cares? as well. 

None of us would care, no. It's a realistic issue though. It's not a video game. They aren't just going to discard guys for no reason. There's no reason to add anyone that doesn't need to be added. 

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

None of us would care, no. It's a realistic issue though. It's not a video game. They aren't just going to discard guys for no reason. There's no reason to add anyone that doesn't need to be added. 

It's really not an issue. 39 man roster. 2 guys on the 60 in Gonzalez and Farquar, who you wouldn't give major league contracts. So still 39. 

Clarkin, Danish, Gomez, Santiago, Shields, Garneau, Rondon, Skole, Cordell, LaMarre, easily outrighted. How many spots do they need? If more, there is more crap you can get rid of. This is a terrible team. For it to have 40 man roster issues this offseason is crazy.

Edited by Dick Allen

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's really not an issue. 39 man roster. 2 guys on the 60 in Gonzalez and Farquar, who you wouldn't give major league contracts. So still 39. 

Clarkin, Danish, Gomez, Santiago, Shields, Garneau, Rondon, Skole, Cordell, LaMarre, easily outrighted. How many spots do they need? If more, there is more crap you can get rid of. This is a terrible team. For it to have 40 man roster issues this offseason is crazy.

I don't see the Sox outrighting Cordell or Rondon this offseason.  I think they'd probably rather hang onto Clarkin too.  

But the point still remains.  

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Still not the point. I highly doubt they'd dump Cordell and Rondon BTW. They need to add 9 players for the Rule-5. This shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't mean that it makes sense to use a spot on a guy like Ian Hamilton though who doesn't need to be added in a losing season anyway. That's always been my point. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Still not the point. I highly doubt they'd dump Cordell and Rondon BTW. They need to add 9 players for the Rule-5. This shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't mean that it makes sense to use a spot on a guy like Ian Hamilton though who doesn't need to be added in a losing season anyway. That's always been my point. 

It is the point. Some seem worried about the 40. It is of no concern this offseason.  We can only hope it is of concern in the future.  BTW, Ryan Cordell is going to be 27 years old next Opening Day and has a .611 OPS in Charlotte. I think he would be an easy outright. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is the point. Some seem worried about the 40. It is of no concern this offseason.  We can only hope it is of concern in the future.  BTW, Ryan Cordell is going to be 27 years old next Opening Day and has a .611 OPS in Charlotte. I think he would be an easy outright. 

Cordell has missed the majority of the season with a back injury.  I believe he is OPSing over .800 since his return.  Realistically with Leury hurt, Cordell should be up getting regular at bats over a guy like Ryan LaMarre.  Cordell is probably nothing, but they're going to give him a shot at some point.  

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cordell has missed the majority of the season with a back injury.  I believe he is OPSing over .800 since his return.  Realistically with Leury hurt, Cordell should be up getting regular at bats over a guy like Ryan LaMarre.  Cordell is probably nothing, but they're going to give him a shot at some point.  

Hahn was really high on Cordell prior to the season have to think at some point he gets a shot.