Eloy Jimenez: I'm Ready (Players' Tribune)

Jose Abreu

Just now, ptatc said:

Sorry if the sarcasm didn't come through. In no way do I think Schwarber is a better outfielder than Trout.

No, I understand math well enough to know that sometimes things like that cause a statistical anomaly. Nobody in their right mind would think that Schwarber is better defensively than Trout. If one had that thought, they shouldn't be allowed to watch baseball anymore. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Been saying it for a month or two....

If Eloy makes his debut this year it will be vs the Cubs.  

They wouldn't have him sit around at home for 3 weeks only to call him up and throw him in cold against MLB pitching in mid-late September. 

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

They wouldn't have him sit around at home for 3 weeks only to call him up and throw him in cold against MLB pitching in mid-late September. 

I get that.   Are any of the minor league teams making the playoffs? They could send him there until the time comes.  

They also could bring him up and let him work out with the team etc.  Just not debut until then.  

Edited by Moncada

26 minutes ago, Moncada said:

I get that.   Are any of the minor league teams making the playoffs? They could send him there until the time comes.  

They also could bring him up and let him work out with the team etc.  Just not debut until then.  

Why would they waste the service time, and opportunities for him to get the experience? I don't understand that idea. What am I missing?

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Why would they waste the service time, and opportunities for him to get the experience? I don't understand that idea. What am I missing?

Missing nothing.  It's a terrible idea.  Calling Eloy up before the extra year at this point should be a fireable offense

I hate this because it's going to make Hahn look like a bad guy when he doesn't call him up. Or it's going to make it seem like there will be tension now from Eloy because he wrote this article begging to be called up and then he gets denied.

I wish he wrote this next April and then the Sox called him up the next day. But now, it's too late.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I hate this because it's going to make Hahn look like a bad guy when he doesn't call him up. Or it's going to make it seem like there will be tension now from Eloy because he wrote this article begging to be called up and then he gets denied.

I wish he wrote this next April and then the Sox called him up the next day. But now, it's too late.

As has been theorized earlier, that might have been the point- to bring more nationwide attention/anger over Eloy still being in AAA 

10 hours ago, jenksycat said:

Missing nothing.  It's a terrible idea.  Calling Eloy up before the extra year at this point should be a fireable offense

The only question I have is why Kopech and not Eloy? There is no way you could argue MK was more dominant than EJ. On the contrary, Jimenez

has dominated AAA since his first at bat.

18 minutes ago, zisk said:

The only question I have is why Kopech and not Eloy? There is no way you could argue MK was more dominant than EJ. On the contrary, Jimenez

Kopech would be spending part of a 3rd season in AAA if they had waited. Eloy has been there 2 months.

35 minutes ago, zisk said:

Easy. Kopech spent an entire season in AAA already. Eloy got there in June.

36 minutes ago, zisk said:

Kopech had nearly spent a full season in AAA and was coming off a seven game stretch in which he was probably the most dominant pitcher in minor league baseball.  It would have been impossible to look him in the eye and tell him he needed start the 2019 season down in AAA.  While Jimenez has been insanely good at AAA and is no doubt ready for the show, he’s had less than 200 PA’s down there.  It’s far less egregious to keep him down there until mid April.  Whether they actually go through with that I have no idea, but if you put a gun to my head I’d say he’s up August 30th.

2 hours ago, zisk said:

1) Positional players are more likely to pan out and remain healthy long term than pitchers

2) Kopech spent all of 2018 in AAA, Eloy has been there for a couple months

I would be shocked if Jimenez is called up prior to mid-late April 2019 at this point

23 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

1) Positional players are more likely to pan out and remain healthy long term than pitchers

2) Kopech spent all of 2018 in AAA, Eloy has been there for a couple months

I would be shocked if Jimenez is called up prior to mid-late April 2019 at this point

Completely agree. I doubt very much that we see Eloy Jimenez this season. Kopech was a different story. He'd spent longer in AAA and in order for them to get him up to 160-165 innings, he needs to pitch in the majors. Those minor league innings aren't available 

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Kopech would be spending part of a 3rd season in AAA if they had waited. Eloy has been there 2 months.

He's also younger. I still don't understand why some one should be punished for dominating more quickly than his fellow team mate.

3 hours ago, zisk said:

You can argue that Kopech needs to increase his innings load this year to be prepared for 200 innings next year. The minor league season ends too soon so he needed to come to the MLB at some point. This really doesn't apply to a hitter as much.

2 hours ago, zisk said:

He's also younger. I still don't understand why some one should be punished for dominating more quickly than his fellow team mate.

Because it's not a "punishment".  Its a smart business decision, I don't understand the confusion around this. Hahn (or any GM in the league) can't openly state "we're keeping Eloy down for an extra year of control" even though everyone knows that's the reason so getting mad that they don't do that is super weird.

This is and always has been the MLBPA's fault.  They've been selling out their young talent for decades so that 32 year olds on steroids could sign massive deals.  The steroids are gone and teams finally stopped giving away those deals so now all players are screwed.  They need to fix the CBA and give more money to their younger guys, but until then teams should be using every advantage they can to keep young cheap talent around.

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

For Eloy and the MLBPA, it’s good because it brings more attention to the service time rules and the fact that a player who’s MLB ready is still in AAA

Yeah, obviously. I'm talking about AS A WHITE SOX FAN, why would this be good? Like I said, it's only going to make Hahn look like a bad guy, or possibly create tension between Eloy and Hahn.

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, obviously. I'm talking about AS A WHITE SOX FAN, why would this be good? Like I said, it's only going to make Hahn look like a bad guy, or possibly create tension between Eloy and Hahn.

It goes beyond the White Sox fan, Hahn and Jimenez. It's similar to the Smith holdout with the Bears. It's not really about the individuals, it's about trying to change things for future players.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It goes beyond the White Sox fan, Hahn and Jimenez. It's similar to the Smith holdout with the Bears. It's not really about the individuals, it's about trying to change things for future players.

And teams having less than 6+ years of control for a young player is something fans should.....want?

I'm not saying I don't GET why Eloy would do this. I am saying as a fan, I hate this. I prefer the Sox have Eloy under control for 15 years, but obviously the players don't want that.