Eloy Jimenez: I'm Ready (Players' Tribune)

Jose Abreu

20 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And teams having less than 6+ years of control for a young player is something fans should.....want?

I'm not saying I don't GET why Eloy would do this. I am saying as a fan, I hate this. I prefer the Sox have Eloy under control for 15 years, but obviously the players don't want that.

I think so. It allows a player to stay with a team longer as opposed to some other leagues where the players change so often that it's hard to follow.

I also don't think Eloy did this. I think it was all union just using his quotes.

28 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

Great article. And for someone who has both dunked and hit homeruns. I'll take homeruns anytime over a dunk.

For about 3 months in my life I could touch the rim.  I'm pretty short, 5-9 on a good day, fairly long arms for my frame but nothing special.  Hit a lot of HR tho.  I'd love to be able to dunk, just once, to experience it.  Hitting a HR is pretty special tho I would say it's about as good of a feeling as recovering a fumble or an INT.  

34 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think so. It allows a player to stay with a team longer as opposed to some other leagues where the players change so often that it's hard to follow.

I also don't think Eloy did this. I think it was all union just using his quotes.

Less years of team control = a player staying with a team longer?? I think you misread what I typed...

18 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Less years of team control = a player staying with a team longer?? I think you misread what I typed...

Sorry, I didn't express it well. I was trying to say that either way the current system allows players in baseball to stay with their current team longer, even if they start his service clock early. Because in reality the actual time on the Sox doesn't change much, only by a few months.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

For about 3 months in my life I could touch the rim.  I'm pretty short, 5-9 on a good day, fairly long arms for my frame but nothing special.  Hit a lot of HR tho.  I'd love to be able to dunk, just once, to experience it.  Hitting a HR is pretty special tho I would say it's about as good of a feeling as recovering a fumble or an INT.  

I'm 6'2". Haven't been able to dunk in 5 years haha. I'm 32 right now so dunking might be over for me haha.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2018 at 8:19 PM, ptatc said:

Players changing teams isn't really a bad thing for any of the other sports. Maybe for the team itself in some cases but certainly not for the sport. 

22 minutes ago, Baron said:

Players changing teams isn't really a bad thing for any of the other sports. Maybe for the team itself in some cases but certainly not for the sport. 

I disagree. I think it helps for fans to identify with teams and players. Obviously, it's better for the players to increase their salaries.

• Like 1

For the fan it has to be better to have less players moving around. It's easier to follow, easier to create legends, easier to look at baseball as more than just a sport, so to speak.

For the players, of course it's better to have that freedom to move around.

I wish there was more consistency -- A. Trammel from the Tigers who got his number retired played for Detroit for over 20 years. That's amazing.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

You really think that doesn't happen say for the NBA? 

i don't know. I don't follow the NBA. However, I would think the fans of a given team will cheer more for the player if he is on their favorite team as opposed to another team.

Maybe I'm old and wrong but while I don't wish ill will for any player (well almost any) I sure don't actively root for players on the other team, in general. Exceptions would be for a rare achievement such as a no hitter, hitting for the cycle etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Who is that?

I think he used to work at 670. I didn't share it because he has a source or anything, but just because I haven't really heard that reasoning used yet. By "he should be up later this week", he was speaking out of what Eloy deserves rather than inside information or anything. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

27 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think he used to work at 670. I didn't share it because he has a source or anything, but just because I haven't really heard that reasoning used yet. By "he should be up later this week", he was speaking out of what Eloy deserves rather than inside information or anything. 

Makes sense.  I wasn't sure if it was a connected guy reporting something or speaking his mind,