Eloy Jimenez: I'm Ready (Players' Tribune)

Jose Abreu

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

They seldom have to give up anything.

They gave up quite a bit in the last one. Drug testing, international signing limits/penalties, Luxury tax and penalties, Domestic draft designated bonus pools.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

JD Martinez is the guy I've been comparing Eloy to in a few posts. And give credit to Lillian since she mentioned 1st base or DH eventually for Eloy way before this writer did.

JD Martinez is probably the best comp for Eloy, both offensively and defensively. He should be passable as an OF until his late 20s, after which he shifts to DH. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

JD Martinez is probably the best comp for Eloy, both offensively and defensively. He should be passable as an OF until his late 20s, after which he shifts to DH. 

Like we have both stated previously it could happen before that if some White Sox  OF prospects do as well as we hope. I think Rutherford is underated with the knowledgeable guys who follow the affiliates. Reminds me of Yelich who just now is tapping into much more power.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Like we have both stated previously it could happen before that if some White Sox  OF prospects do as well as we hope. I think Rutherford is underated with the knowledgeable guys who follow the affiliates. Reminds me of Yelich who just now is tapping into much more power.

That's a really good comp for Rutherford. If he becomes like Yelich that would be a huge win. 

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ideally Eloy becomes a 1B/DH because Basabe, Gonzalez, Robert, Rutherford, etc. overwhelm them with quality OF options. There are worse things than having Eloy as a 1B/DH, having Collins as a C/1B/DH, and having Narvaez/Zavala as Cs.

5 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Ideally Eloy becomes a 1B/DH because Basabe, Gonzalez, Robert, Rutherford, etc. overwhelm them with quality OF options. There are worse things than having Eloy as a 1B/DH, having Collins as a C/1B/DH, and having Narvaez/Zavala as Cs.

I'd say your " etc ." means you forgot Adolfo but knew you forgot someone .

On 8/23/2018 at 10:47 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I hate this because it's going to make Hahn look like a bad guy when he doesn't call him up. Or it's going to make it seem like there will be tension now from Eloy because he wrote this article begging to be called up and then he gets denied.

I wish he wrote this next April and then the Sox called him up the next day. But now, it's too late.

THE FUCK I SAID.

https://fancredsports.com/articles/jon-heyman-eloy-jimenezs-camp-unhappy-hes-unlike

Ugh. Awful.

I can see teams getting fucked for doing this. Especially when you do like the Cubs and call the guy up the day after they lose a year. In our case, we probably lost Eloy for that second contract to gain one year. Not very smart on our part since I think he would have re-signed with us. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I can see teams getting fucked for doing this. Especially when you do like the Cubs and call the guy up the day after they lose a year. In our case, we probably lost Eloy for that second contract to gain one year. Not very smart on our part since I think he would have re-signed with us. 

You base this off absolutely nothing though.

They should throw a 7-year deal in his lap now and see if he bites. Have him finish the year off in Chicago this year, pay him a little over the minimum the next 3 years (the years he would get the minimum, and then buy out his 4 would-be arb years if he were to stay down until next year. Seems like that would be fair for him. He comes up this year and he has guaranteed money and we get him for the extra year of control.

If he were to reject a deal, then he would have no argument for not being here this year. The Sox are doing nothing wrong by waiting. They are operating within the rules like every other team.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You base this off absolutely nothing though.

He said he wanted to play in Chicago his whole life and actually wants to be here, like Abreu. I believe him because the available info validates that. If he wants to play here, and we pay him and we are winning, why wouldn't he want to re-sign? How you screw up re-signing him is by pissing off his agents and team. For them to convince him to bounce. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

He said he wanted to play in Chicago his whole life and actually wants to be here, like Abreu. I believe him because the available info validates that. If he wants to play here, and we pay him and we are winning, why wouldn't he want to re-sign? 

Yes, because no other player has ever said that and stayed with that team his entire career...

Edited by soxfan2014

8 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

They should throw a 7-year deal in his lap now and see if he bites. Have him finish the year off in Chicago this year, pay him a little over the minimum the next 3 years (the years he would get the minimum, and then buy out his 4 would-be arb years if he were to stay down until next year. Seems like that would be fair for him. He comes up this year and he has guaranteed money and we get him for the extra year of control.

If he were to reject a deal, then he would have no argument for not being here this year. The Sox are doing nothing wrong by waiting. They are operating within the rules like every other team.

If Dave is accurate,  the Sox tried already to extend him.

Sox are dead wrong here.  He should have been promoted months/weeks ago.  Keeping him at Charlotte makes almost as much sense as keeping him there all of 2019 too, just for more control.  I'm sure glad they didn't do this with Big Frank.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Dave is accurate,  the Sox tried already to extend him.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Which means the Sox decided to milk his entire 7 years COULD be their response to Eloy turning down the offer. Figuring if he seems intent on testing the market, then they better get every last game out of him.

Then I have no issue with what they are doing. They tried. Plan on milking him for the 7 years and hope he changes his tune at some point about extending.

18 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Sox are dead wrong here.  He should have been promoted months/weeks ago.  Keeping him at Charlotte makes almost as much sense as keeping him there all of 2019 too, just for more control.  I'm sure glad they didn't do this with Big Frank.

Frank also signed one of the dumbest extensions in history.  Plus the price of a free agent star the was about 10% of what it is today. The future Belle deal of $55 million was a shocking record breaker. Today that wouldn't get you a 5th starter.

13 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

My guess- Kopech gets 2 innings before the delay, 0 runs, 2 hits, 0 BB, 2 K

9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Totally different situation with Frank. Different rules, and the team was trying to make the playoffs in 1990. Kris Bryant must really be pissed at the Cubs. Not only did he have over 500 AB in AAA when they didn’t call him up, he lead the spring training world in HR when they sent him back down in 2015, a year they made the playoffs. It’s just talk. Eloy and his reps know the Sox are doing exactly what they would do in their situation, but putting some pressure on them won’t hurt them. 

There won’t be much to gain other than Eloy gaining service time with a call up now. Most of the balance of the schedule will be AAA/spring training quality anyway. It will cost him about $90k now, but if he turned down a contract, $90k shouldn’t bother him at all. Everyone knows what is going on. I would think most would be on board that we have crossed the line where it would make any sense to give up the control to show off a new toy a while ago. 

Also, what if he pulls a hammy or twists an ankle his first couple of games? Giving up a year for 30 games is silly, it would even be sillier if it was for fewer.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Dick Allen said:

Totally different situation with Frank. Different rules, and the team was trying to make the playoffs in 1990. Kris Bryant must really be pissed at the Cubs. Not only did he have over 500 AB in AAA when they didn’t call him up, he lead the spring training world in HR when they sent him back down in 2015, a year they made the playoffs. It’s just talk. Eloy and his reps know the Sox are doing exactly what they would do in their situation, but putting some pressure on them won’t hurt them. 

There won’t be much to gain other than Eloy gaining service time with a call up now. Most of the balance of the schedule will be AAA/spring training quality anyway. It will cost him about $90k now, but if he turned down a contract, $90k shouldn’t bother him at all. Everyone knows what is going on. I would think most would be on board that we have crossed the line where it would make any sense to give up the control to show off a new toy a while ago. 

Also, what if he pulls a hammy or twists an ankle his first couple of games? Giving up a year for 30 games is silly, it would even be sillier if it was for fewer.

What happens if Eloy wins his grievance, Dick?  Free agency?