Cease has made final start in '18

flavum

5 minutes ago, HeHatesShe said:

His last two games last year shows stats of 12 innings,  8 hits,  2 walks,  3 earned runs and 13 ks.

That's my kind of shoulder issues! 

He had reached his innings ceiling last year. "Shoulder soreness precautions" is not something to worry about with a 21 year old who had pitched 50 more innings thanthe previous year. Certainly doesn't bear mentioning in this thread.

He was scratched from a playoff start with shoulder fatigue. If he had reached his innings limit, he wouldn’t have been scratched the day of, rather he would have been shut down the moment his prior start ended, just like this year.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He was scratched from a playoff start with shoulder fatigue. If he had reached his innings limit, he wouldn’t have been scratched the day of, rather he would have been shut down the moment his prior start ended, just like this year.

Still doesn't explain why you responded to someone who said he hadn't had an injury in a long time with a non issue like shoulder fatigue. 

5 minutes ago, HeHatesShe said:

Still doesn't explain why you responded to someone who said he hadn't had an injury in a long time with a non issue like shoulder fatigue. 

When a pitcher gets scratched from a playoff start the day of, I think it’s worth mentioning. Sorry for bringing it up.

It doesn’t explain why you made up that it was a shut down last year.

Edited by soxfan49

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

When a pitcher gets scratched from a playoff start the day of, I think it’s worth mentioning. Sorry for bringing it up.

It doesn’t explain why you made up that it was a shut down last year.

Sure sounds like a shut down to me. Guy was still killing it. And has been injury free for a while now,  yes? 

1 hour ago, zisk said:

The last time I checked fatigue is not an injury. He simply hit a little wall and the Sox were taking precautions. He pitched 30+ more innings this

year and will probably increase by a similar amount next season. The fastest way to improving at sports is by playing against superior players. Cease

will undoubtedly do this in the majors. Not so much against mostly AAAA players found at Charlotte. It is my opinion that pitching 150-160 innings in the majors

should lead to a smaller learning curve in 2020, and hopefully a pennant race that we might win.

Fatigue can very easily lead to injuries, especially if they aren't ready for it.  Considering Cease already has an injury history, and has grown his IP each of the last two seasons by a good amount, there is no good reason to push it.  I promise you if the White Sox are shutting this kid down, there is a good reason.  They don't really handle things this way typically.

46 minutes ago, HeHatesShe said:

Sure sounds like a shut down to me. Guy was still killing it. And has been injury free for a while now,  yes? 

A voluntary shut down is coming out and acknowleding an innings limit. A voluntary shut down is not scratching a pitcher on the day of a scheduled playoff start, yes?

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

A voluntary shut down is coming out and acknowleding an innings limit. A voluntary shut down is not scratching a pitcher on the day of a scheduled playoff start, yes?

Well, he was scratched on Tuesday for the Wednesday playoff game, so that's twice you've been misinformed. Shoulder soreness after more than doubling your career high in innings sounds like good reason to shut someone down. 

Edited by HeHatesShe

On 8/25/2018 at 2:09 PM, HeHatesShe said:

Well, he was scratched on Tuesday for the Wednesday playoff game, so that's twice you've been misinformed. Shoulder soreness after more than doubling your career high in innings sounds like good reason to shut someone down. 

I think Cease is a candidate to be pushed up to AAA to start 2019. He dominated in 10 AA starts and has shown enough at that level to advance up the ladder. 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:09 PM, HeHatesShe said:

Lol dude yer stuck.  It’s okay 🤠

12:44

Josh: What were your impressions after seeing Cease?

12:46

Kiley McDaniel: For me, less of a chance to start than Manning. Fastball has hop and sneaky velo given his delivery tempo and he holds it well, has trouble throwing the breaker for strikes consistently and it’s best as a chase pitch. CH is really inconsistent. much more control than command, which will cause problems at higher levels. Needs more consistency with his finish and he’s a smaller guy with a TJ in the rear view. Seems ideally suited to a Rays 2nd pitcher role where he can go two times through the order and not hold back. Don’t think it’s a 180 IP type guy.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-8-29-18/