Cease has made final start in '18

flavum

Realistically, Cease is probably on track a 2020 debut, with a slight chance at 2019.  If he is sitting in the middle of the 120's for IP and is being shutdown, that puts him into the 150 to 160 range for next year if the can stretch him out again.  I have to imagine they start him at Birmingham to begin next season and see what happens, with the hope of promoting him to Charlotte after the ASB at AA.

Normally, I’d say a pitcher that just had 13 starts in high-A and 10 starts in AA would start the next season in AA. But I think Cease might be above that. He’s probably looking at 27 starts and 160 innings next year. I’d go AAA to start, and bring him up when he proves he’s ready.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Normally, I’d say a pitcher that just had 13 starts in high-A and 10 starts in AA would start the next season in AA. But I think Cease might be above that. He’s probably looking at 27 starts and 160 innings next year. I’d go AAA to start, and bring him up when he proves he’s ready.

Yea he has nothing left to prove at AA. Start him at AAA and if you keep him there the whole season, so be it. Although personally I can see him knocking on the door next season around the same time Kopech was promoted. 

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Realistically, Cease is probably on track a 2020 debut, with a slight chance at 2019.  If he is sitting in the middle of the 120's for IP and is being shutdown, that puts him into the 150 to 160 range for next year if the can stretch him out again.  I have to imagine they start him at Birmingham to begin next season and see what happens, with the hope of promoting him to Charlotte after the ASB at AA.

If his 2019 is anything like his 2018, his debut BETTER be in 2020. By midseason we could be looking at a top 20 prospect, similar to how Kopech is viewed. Save him until mid-April 2020 for service time. The only exception for me being if 2019 is somehow a competitive year and they want him to end his 2019 season by coming out of the Sox bullpen for a playoff push.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The AA rotation is going to be packed again between Dunning, Hansen, Lambert, Flores, Medeiros, Puckett, & potentially Clarkin.  I’d definitely start Cease in AAA, nothing else to prove at this point.

Knowing the Sox, I wonder if they give him 3-4 starts in AA before they bump him up.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The AA rotation is going to be packed again between Dunning, Hansen, Lambert, Flores, Medeiros, Puckett, & potentially Clarkin.  I’d definitely start Cease in AAA, nothing else to prove at this point.

Lots of players skip AAA. I read That article about him today and it said his secondary stuff is better than Kopechs. If he starts strong next year then bring him up.

He's 23 next year and hasn't had any injury problems in a long time. That would be a staff worth watching every night.

11 minutes ago, zisk said:

Lots of players skip AAA. I read That article about him today and it said his secondary stuff is better than Kopechs. If he starts strong next year then bring him up.

He's 23 next year and hasn't had any injury problems in a long time. That would be a staff worth watching every night.

He was shut down with shoulder issues less than a year ago.

If we see Cease in a Sox uni in 2019 something went wrong. Either he got roughed up too often or missed time due to his injury thus not accumulating enough innings and needing a September call up to get those innings. If things go well for him in 2019 I think we see him in mid April of 2020. The most important things for Cease in 2019 is to say healthy and continue to build up his innings... not a 2019 call up.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think they will follow the Kopech route and it will be the end of 2019. Kopech's innings last year was 134, i believe. So to go from 125 to 170 or so he will need to pitch in the MLB in September.

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If his 2019 is anything like his 2018, his debut BETTER be in 2020. By midseason we could be looking at a top 20 prospect, similar to how Kopech is viewed. Save him until mid-April 2020 for service time. The only exception for me being if 2019 is somehow a competitive year and they want him to end his 2019 season by coming out of the Sox bullpen for a playoff push.

Just like Kopech if he is pitching well next year he will need September in the MLB to increase his innings load.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hell of a season by him. If he can continue to be this dominate as stick as a starter, Sox have one hell of a 1-2 punch with him and Kopech. 

Throw Rodon in that mix, too. If they can all stay healthy, Rodon-Kopech-Cease-Dunning-(whoever wins the 5th spot) has a chance to be a lights out dominant rotation. 

1 hour ago, zisk said:

WRONG!! 22 starts. 9 starts with sox after being acquired july 13th. FAKE NEWS

From CBS Sports, 9/5/17

Cease was scratched from his playoff start for Low-A Kannapolis on Tuesday due to shoulder fatigue, Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune reports.

This move is supposedly just a precaution, and Cease is expected to participate in the instructional league. If he can indeed report to camp next year without any arm injuries, then 2017 will be seen as a huge success for the hard-throwing righty, who was the second returning prospect in the trade that sent Jose Quintana to the Cubs. Cease has a 3.28 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 126 strikeouts in 93.1 innings across the two Low-A affiliates. Sadly, those 93.1 innings easily establish a new season high for the 21-year-old.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

From CBS Sports, 9/5/17

Cease was scratched from his playoff start for Low-A Kannapolis on Tuesday due to shoulder fatigue, Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune reports.

This move is supposedly just a precaution, and Cease is expected to participate in the instructional league. If he can indeed report to camp next year without any arm injuries, then 2017 will be seen as a huge success for the hard-throwing righty, who was the second returning prospect in the trade that sent Jose Quintana to the Cubs. Cease has a 3.28 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 126 strikeouts in 93.1 innings across the two Low-A affiliates. Sadly, those 93.1 innings easily establish a new season high for the 21-year-old.

The last time I checked fatigue is not an injury. He simply hit a little wall and the Sox were taking precautions. He pitched 30+ more innings this

year and will probably increase by a similar amount next season. The fastest way to improving at sports is by playing against superior players. Cease

will undoubtedly do this in the majors. Not so much against mostly AAAA players found at Charlotte. It is my opinion that pitching 150-160 innings in the majors

should lead to a smaller learning curve in 2020, and hopefully a pennant race that we might win.

37 minutes ago, zisk said:

The last time I checked fatigue is not an injury. He simply hit a little wall and the Sox were taking precautions. He pitched 30+ more innings this

year and will probably increase by a similar amount next season. The fastest way to improving at sports is by playing against superior players. Cease

will undoubtedly do this in the majors. Not so much against mostly AAAA players found at Charlotte. It is my opinion that pitching 150-160 innings in the majors

should lead to a smaller learning curve in 2020, and hopefully a pennant race that we might win.

I didn’t say he had shoulder injuries, rather I said shoulder issues. It’s not like they voluntarily shut him down like they did this year. Shoulder fatigue is an “issue.”

34 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I didn’t say he had shoulder injuries, rather I said shoulder issues. It’s not like they voluntarily shut him down like they did this year. Shoulder fatigue is an “issue.”

His last two games last year shows stats of 12 innings,  8 hits,  2 walks,  3 earned runs and 13 ks.

That's my kind of shoulder issues! 

He had reached his innings ceiling last year. "Shoulder soreness precautions" is not something to worry about with a 21 year old who had pitched 50 more innings thanthe previous year. Certainly doesn't bear mentioning in this thread.

And YOU didn't say he had a shoulder injury, but your response was an attempt to counter the person you quoted, who said he has had no injury problems in a long time. 

Edited by HeHatesShe
Clarification