Dylan Cease shut down

kwolf68

4 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Due to innings limit the Sox will shut him down. Good move, be careful. I expect he'll make AAA next year and debut at some point. If another thread has been started about this feel free to delete.

Kopech might also be shut down before long. He is close to his career max IP. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Kopech might also be shut down before long. He is close to his career max IP. 

The Sox will let Kopech go around 30 innings past his previous high unless they think he is showing obvious signs of fatigue or has more soreness than usual. That's building innings and arm strength.

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Sox will let Kopech go around 30 innings past his previous high unless they think he is showing obvious signs of fatigue or has more soreness than usual. That's building innings and arm strength.

Makes sense along with 5-6 innings per start. 

Maybe the Sox should shut down Rodon. According to some on another message board, he's a middle/back end rotation, basically lucky to strike anyone out and the Yankees broadcast last night said this, paraphrased, Rodon "usually" works his fastball 88 to 90 and can sometimes get it to mid 90s. Yes, they said that. Meatheads. If he was wearing pin stripes they'd compare his ass to Ron Guidry. 

That said, yes Rodon's K rate is down, he was operating 92-94 a lot last night and is pitching to contact, but a young pitcher, coming off injury in a lost season, no need to over extend. Dude has given up 58 hits in 90 innings, however he gets it done he gets it done and Rodon is an EASY #2 in this rotation next year.

Did not mean to hijack my own Cease thread with Rodon talk, but they are my absolute two favorite prospects which is why I reject any notion of trading Carlos and why I started the DC thread. A rotation of Kopech/Rodon/Cease/Giolito looks very promising. Just gotta get the boys behind them both in terms of field and pen. 

Edited by kwolf68

48 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Maybe the Sox should shut down Rodon. According to some on another message board, he's a middle/back end rotation, basically lucky to strike anyone out and the Yankees broadcast last night said this, paraphrased, Rodon "usually" works his fastball 88 to 90 and can sometimes get it to mid 90s. Yes, they said that. Meatheads. If he was wearing pin stripes they'd compare his ass to Ron Guidry. 

That said, yes Rodon's K rate is down, he was operating 92-94 a lot last night and is pitching to contact, but a young pitcher, coming off injury in a lost season, no need to over extend. Dude has given up 58 hits in 90 innings, however he gets it done he gets it done and Rodon is an EASY #2 in this rotation next year.

Did not mean to hijack my own Cease thread with Rodon talk, but they are my absolute two favorite prospects which is why I reject any notion of trading Carlos and why I started the DC thread. A rotation of Kopech/Rodon/Cease/Giolito looks very promising. Just gotta get the boys behind them both in terms of field and pen. 

They aren't shutting Rodon down.  He's yet to eclipse 165 IP in the bigs in a season.  He won't get there this season either, but they aren't shutting him down.

Rodon has been an absolute stud his last 10 starts.  He looks every bit of the top tier SP the Sox though they were getting third overall in 2014.  #theroadtorodon

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They aren't shutting Rodon down.  He's yet to eclipse 165 IP in the bigs in a season.  He won't get there this season either, but they aren't shutting him down.

Rodon has been an absolute stud his last 10 starts.  He looks every bit of the top tier SP the Sox though they were getting third overall in 2014.  #theroadtorodon

That was sarcasm, I believe.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That was sarcasm, I believe.

Perhaps, but this quote didn't sound overly sarcastic - "That said, yes Rodon's K rate is down, he was operating 92-94 a lot last night and is pitching to contact, but a young pitcher, coming off injury in a lost season, no need to over extend."

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

He sure doesn't get many guys to square him up. His stuff is so good. I think he's just becoming a better pitcher, albeit, his ability to be effectively wild is very strong (stuff is so good and his ball is so live).  Of course I've long been one of Rodon's big advocates. The only thing that will prevent him from being a front of the rotation guy would be his health, followed second by his command. The nice thing is, he's pitching deeper into games, etc.