2019 OD Roster Thread with a focus on Eloy

ScootsMcGoots

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I have Machado pegged for the Yankees to play 3B and the Yanks dealing Andujar in a package for pitching. Long-term, no they wouldn't be able to keep all of Judge, Stanton, Machado but for controllable years of Judge I don't think they would be worried. Yes, Judge will get expensive but just like the Dodgers, they are resetting their luxury tax penalties this season so they likely plan on going over for at least a few years again.

Don't think $ is a concern for NYY regarding a long term core of those 3...premature on Machado too, Philly and LAD are in on him too and maybe even CWS will be (unlikely)

3 hours ago, daggins said:

This, but I also think they trade Andujar for a SP. They need a lot of help in that area.

Maybe, but rather hold onto Rodon, Kopech, Cease, etc....Have a feeling NYY spends in FA on pitching and holds onto their young core, just like we should

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s my offseason prediction:

• Sign Manny Machado to 10/$350M deal
  • Sign J.A. Happ to 2/$30M deal
  • Sign Daniel Murphy to 2/$23M deal
  • Sign Leonys Martin to 1/$9M deal

Martin is controlled through 2019.  I highly doubt the Indians non-tender him.

I'd pass on Happ.  Murphy would be interesting as a 1B/DH.  

Signings:

• Machado 8 years / $270M
  • AJ Pollock 3 years / $63M
  • Matt Harvey 1 year / $8M

Lineup: Pollock CF, Moncada 2B, Machado 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF (3 weeks in; Delmonico holds spot until then), Garcia RF, Palka DH, Anderson SS, Narvaez C

BN: Castillo, Leury, Engel, Yolmer

Rotation: Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez and Harvey

Bullpen: Burdi, Hamilton, Jones, Fry, Burr, Bummer and Stephens/Covey/Vieira/Ruiz

I have to say, I'm willing to roll the dice on aging players (despite my skepticism and lots of evidence this won't work!) that I think will be reasonable value and shorter term.

Sign Josh Donaldson - I'd give him the Edwin Encarnacion deal and hope it works.

Sign Michael Brantley - (I have no idea if he can play RF, but that would be my plan). Sox really need to cut down on their massive amount of strikeouts. Brantley's equal BB:K rate and health in 2018 make him intriguing to me. I frankly want our W-S/Birmingham OFers to force our hand to come up, not be given a job

Sign Dallas Keuchel -  Keuchel will be expensive, but he seems like a pitcher that would jibe with our pitching staff philosophy and has post season cache.

C - Castillo/Narvaez

DH - A Garcia

1b - Abreu

2b - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3b - Donaldson

LF - Jimenez

CF - Engel/L Garcia

RF - Brantley

SP - Keuchel/Rodon/Kopech/Giolito/Lopez

RP - Fry, Burdi, Hamilton, Burr, Covey, Vet churn

Total spend: 220million-230million

2019 additional salary: 60 million

Target payroll: 110 mill? no idea.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know he's on a nice streak but I'm still surprised by the amount of Adam Engel I'm seeing penciled in at center field. I'm still far from sold on him as a starter

It's engel/garcia and it's just an area that does not have a lot of options but has internal options you hope to come up. AJ Pollock is certainly a guy, but how much longer can he play center?

Leury for life.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's engel/garcia and it's just an area that does not have a lot of options but has internal options you hope to come up. AJ Pollock is certainly a guy, but how much longer can he play center?

Leury for life.

If Leury could stay healthy, we could talk. 

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really don't see the Sox signing a major league free agent pitcher to much of a contract.  I think we will be closer to the Miguel Gonzalez aisle, then we will the Kuechel one.  I will throw out the names Drew Hutchison and Yovani Gallardo as wild guesses.

What do those guys provide at this point that throwing a guy like Jordan Stephens, Jordan Guerrero, or Spencer Adams at the rotation spot wouldn't? Especially for a team that isn't going to be fully into compete mode in 2019? I'd rather see if one or two of those three can become a backend starter than waste $8-10 million on a bargain basement starter who is just as much of a risk.

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really don't see the Sox signing a major league free agent pitcher to much of a contract.  I think we will be closer to the Miguel Gonzalez aisle, then we will the Kuechel one.  I will throw out the names Drew Hutchison and Yovani Gallardo as wild guesses.

If they are going to go that route, wouldn't they just re-sign Shields after his option is declined?

I know the likelihood of these signings are all low but heres my plan: 

Sign Machado 10 years $325mil

Sign Brantley 3 years $45mil

Sign Charlie Morton 2 years $25mil

1. Moncada (2B)
  2. Machado (3B)
  3. Jimenez (LF)
  4. Abreu (1B)
  5. Brantley (CF)
  6. A. Garcia (RF)
  7. Palka (DH)
  8. Narvaez (C)
  9. Anderson (SS)

BN Castillo (C), Delmonico (LF), Sanchez (IF), Davidson (3B), L. Garcia (OF)

SP Rodon, Kopech, Morton, Giolito, Lopez (Stephens/Adams in AAA)

RP Burdi, Hamilton, Fry, Cedeno, Covey, Burr

I'd make Avi/Delmonico and Davidson/Palka close to a straight platoon (Eloy in RF when Delmonico plays). Use Sanchez at SS more to rest Anderson against tough righties. Leury would unfortunately rarely play but you need a backup CF and he has a lot of valuable skills. Also you'd need a manager who has the ability to mix and match the lineup enough that everyone stays engaged (my vote is Vizquel).

Obviously the 6 man bullpen is probably not realistic but there are always injuries which could open a spot for an additional reliever (Danish/Guerrero)

I don't think Brantley can play CF anymore.

2 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

I know the likelihood of these signings are all low but heres my plan: 

Sign Machado 10 years $325mil

Sign Brantley 3 years $45mil

Sign Charlie Morton 2 years $25mil

1. Moncada (2B)
  2. Machado (3B)
  3. Jimenez (LF)
  4. Abreu (1B)
  5. Brantley (CF)
  6. A. Garcia (RF)
  7. Palka (DH)
  8. Narvaez (C)
  9. Anderson (SS)

BN Castillo (C), Delmonico (LF), Sanchez (IF), Davidson (3B), L. Garcia (OF)

SP Rodon, Kopech, Morton, Giolito, Lopez (Stephens/Adams in AAA)

RP Burdi, Hamilton, Fry, Cedeno, Covey, Burr

I'd make Avi/Delmonico and Davidson/Palka close to a straight platoon (Eloy in RF when Delmonico plays). Use Sanchez at SS more to rest Anderson against tough righties. Leury would unfortunately rarely play but you need a backup CF and he has a lot of valuable skills. Also you'd need a manager who has the ability to mix and match the lineup enough that everyone stays engaged (my vote is Vizquel).

Obviously the 6 man bullpen is probably not realistic but there are always injuries which could open a spot for an additional reliever (Danish/Guerrero)

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

What do those guys provide at this point that throwing a guy like Jordan Stephens, Jordan Guerrero, or Spencer Adams at the rotation spot wouldn't? Especially for a team that isn't going to be fully into compete mode in 2019? I'd rather see if one or two of those three can become a backend starter than waste $8-10 million on a bargain basement starter who is just as much of a risk.

I don't believe the Sox see anything of value there.  They completely left Guerrero exposed for the Rule 5, and he didn't really do much to prove them wrong.  Stephens has done nothing at AAA to convince me he is ready for MLB in April.  Spencer Adams might have a great era, but past that?  4 K's per 9 IP would get murders in MLB.  His pure stuff doesn't do anything for me.  Send them all back to Charlotte and let them see if they can change minds.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Signings:

• Machado 8 years / $270M
  • AJ Pollock 3 years / $63M
  • Matt Harvey 1 year / $8M

Lineup: Pollock CF, Moncada 2B, Machado 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF (3 weeks in; Delmonico holds spot until then), Garcia RF, Palka DH, Anderson SS, Narvaez C

BN: Castillo, Leury, Engel, Yolmer

Rotation: Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez and Harvey

Bullpen: Burdi, Hamilton, Jones, Fry, Burr, Bummer and Stephens/Covey/Vieira/Ruiz

Pretty sure we'd need to pay Manny more than that

Not interested in a 31 YO OFer when we have Avi and Eloy and maybe something in Engel with Luis Robert, Alex Call, and Luis Gonzalez almost up

Matt Harvey deal can't hurt, the hope would be for him to eat innings until Cease is ready and then flip him but his ego can stay elsewhere (I wanted Clay Buchholz this past offseason)

3 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

I think Josh Donaldson and AJ Pollock are excellent fits for this team next year and I think/hope the Sox will pursue them. I think a SP like Keuchel/Corbin would be a good fit too, but I don't see the Sox shelling out for that.

No, no, no, and...no

Pass on all aging vets at this stage in the game

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

No, no, no, and...no

Pass on all aging vets at this stage in the game

Speaking only of Donaldson and Pollock — neither of those two will be blocking anyone at the major league level. The only cost is $$, and the Sox will have a lot to use for 2019, with no real added benefit of just banking it. Donaldson probably (hopefully) won't even cost a draft pick (if he's traded this week or the Jays don't extend a QO). To me, the risk level is low here.

2 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

Speaking only of Donaldson and Pollock — neither of those two will be blocking anyone at the major league level. The only cost is $$, and the Sox will have a lot to use for 2019, with no real added benefit of just banking it. Donaldson probably (hopefully) won't even cost a draft pick (if he's traded this week or the Jays don't extend a QO). To me, the risk level is low here.

For young stars like Machado or Harper, you definitely take that risk.  This team has played it safe with Free Agency (outside Dunn and Abreu) for the past 10 playoff-less years.

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

For young stars like Machado or Harper, you definitely take that risk.  This team has played it safe with Free Agency (outside Dunn and Abreu) for the past 10 playoff-less years.

Definitely. I'm sure the Sox will throw their hat in the ring, but I don't see any way they actually come away from either of those two though. Donaldson and Pollock aren't superstars, but they'll come at more reasonable prices on much shorter contracts.

Just now, Buehrlesque said:

Definitely. I'm sure the Sox will throw their hat in the ring, but I don't see any way they actually come away from either of those two though. Donaldson and Pollock aren't superstars, but they'll come at more reasonable prices on much shorter contracts.

Or at very least exuberant prices on shorter contracts.