8/29 GT - Reynaldo Lopez vs. C.C. Sabathia, 6:05pm

iWiN4PreP

Reynaldo Lopez (4-9 with a 4.66 ERA) looks to get a much needed W after a long stretch of L's or no decisions meanwhile CC (7-4, 3.30 ERA) looks to stay on track with his recent run of successful starts.

CC is truly a remarkable story... how he went from a terrible year to readjusting and becoming a very good SP again this year. Bravo.

CHW Lineup:

1. Adam Engel (R) CF
2. Jose Rondon (R) SS
3. Avisail Garcia (R) RF
4. Kevan Smith (R) C
5. Matt Davidson (R) 1B
6. Yoan Moncada (S) 2B
7. Nicky Delmonico (L) DH
8. Ryan LaMarre (R) LF
9. Yolmer Sanchez (S) 3B

NYY Line up:
1. Brett Gardner (L) LF
2. Giancarlo Stanton (R) RF
3. Aaron Hicks (S) CF
4. Miguel Andujar (R) DH
5. Neil Walker (S) 3B
6. Gleyber Torres (R) SS
7. Greg Bird (L) 1B
8. Austin Romine (R) C
9. Ronald Torreyes (R) 2B
Edited by iWiN4PreP

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Quick Gamethread question for discussion:

What do you think of Jose Rondon (SS) and his future?

Could be a useful backup.  Team will need to find a utility guy that can play a decent SS when they are contending.  Intriguing power but contact concerns.

But why take it from me, how about a nationally recognized prospect evaluator?

Watching him play, he still moves around well but I think he’s lost a tick of running speed compared to four years ago, which dovetails nicely with declining stolen base totals. There are also reports of range declines at shortstop and right now he looks better at second or third base.

He is still an impatient hitter, although his strikeout rate has increased with his power. My thinking is that Rondon has matured physically, is simply capable of hitting the ball harder and farther than he once was, and has responded to this by attacking the ball more aggressively rather than just going for contact.

Whether this will work in a larger sample as pitchers get more looks at him remains to be seen of course. With 82 career at-bats he’s still rookie eligible and may remain so for 2019 depending on how much action he sees in September. Grade-wise I’d put him on the border between C+ and B- right now. The power surge is promising but his on-base abilities are questionable at the moment.

That was from today on minor league ball blog.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daggins said:

CC's knee are just sawdust and cardboard at this point, I really admire the guy, no idea how much longer he has.

Totally.  He's been through a lot, on and off the field and he's a real leader on and off as well.  Just a great guy, he was always a big charity guy when I was living in NYC and he looks to have only continued that work and expanded on it as he ages.

• Like 1

Lopez really looks like a reliever imo.  He's just not capable of sustained stuff as a starter.  He's really gone through some dead periods with his arm this season.  You give him another chance to start next year but I'd say the odds are closer to "long term reliever" than "long term starter" at this point.  Disappointing but that's why you stockpile talent.