8/29 GT - Reynaldo Lopez vs. C.C. Sabathia, 6:05pm

iWiN4PreP

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Way too early for bullpen talk. He's still learning to pitch at the major league level. The front line starter stuff is still there and has shown potential to eat innings as well.

I agree. I like Lopez a ton, however, I can see why some fans believe he might end up in the bullpen for the reasons I stated. Hopefully they’re wrong.

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This seems to be one of those threads where if you didn't know the score you'd assume by reading the posts that Lopez was giving up a ton of runs instead of having a 1 hitter through 4 with no walks and 4 k's.

I mean, anyone could see it happening after 2 innings. ReyLo has been really *really* lucky to get to the 5th inning today. It seems to be unraveling finally now with bases loaded. Reylo hasn't been good today, although he seems to be finding his stuff as the game progresses.

As I type this, he gets a K...

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Three pages and no one has mentioned Lopez is using his curveball finally and it actually looks pretty good.  That’s a fucking revelation and greatly improves his chances of being a quality starter.

Yeah, to be clear the Yankees went in looking fastball,  and Lopez has been commanding all of his off speed stuff to make it work.

Really don't get all the negativity. He allowed some hard contact in the 1st and 2nd but this has been a good start. That inning wasn't his fault with the defense he received. More swings and misses than he's had in awhile, and a lot on the offspeed. Speaking of the offspeed, the command of it has been incredible. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, to be clear the Yankees went in looking fastball,  and Lopez has been commanding all of his off speed stuff to make it work.

With is fantastic!  But the fact Lopez basically abandoned his curve all year, his bread & butter breaking ball in the minors, and has not only brought it back but has also been able to command is the most important takeaway from tonight IMO.  Why Cooper had him stop using it in the first place is beyond me.

• Like 1