Eloy's Camp Unhappy: Grievance Possible

DirtySox

Great. If Eloy files and wins this grievance, they should retroactively knock off a year of FA for anyone who did this in the last 4 seasons. It would be completely unfair to the Sox if the Cubs could get away with this and they can't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, flavum said:

A 21-yr-old that hasn't played a full season in AAA. I don't care how good he is, the Sox don't have to feel bad about anything. The MLBPA is to blame, as they collectively bargain this stuff.

The Sox do have blame. They are purposely limiting his income for the sole reason of limiting his income. Just because you agree with this practice doesn't mean it's right. It is solely to benefit the monetary position of the team.

Thy should file a grievance. They will lose but they should still file it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Great. If Eloy files and wins this grievance, they should retroactively knock off a year of FA for anyone who did this in the last 4 seasons. It would be completely unfair to the Sox if the Cubs could get away with this and they can't. 

They would not win a grievance. He's been in AAA half a season, the Sox have no history holding players back b/c of services time issues, and in fact have done the opposite with Kopech and Moncada as the article notes. 

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

They would not win a grievance. He's been in AAA half a season, the Sox have no history holding players back b/c of services time issues, and in fact have done the opposite with Kopech and Moncada as the article notes. 

I have a feeling that they're going to make an example out of this one. I'd imagine it to go down like this. Bryant loses his grievance, then a few weeks later Eloy wins his, and so on and the Cubs continue to get preferential treatment that is undeserved because they bring in more money. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I hated when Astros were doing this with players and I hate it now. 

I've said it before, but did sox really not think this would happen? He was good in AA but they could have avoided all of this by just keeping him there until Aug 1, then giving him last month in AAA. Just stupid on their part. 

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The Sox do have blame. They are purposely limiting his income for the sole reason of limiting his income. Just because you agree with this practice doesn't mean it's right. It is solely to benefit the monetary position of the team.

Thy should file a grievance. They will lose but they should still file it.

Ok, file then.

I'm sure the Sox have tried to lock him up to a deal that would put him in LF tonight.  If he wants to sign and get the money, I'm all for it. Until then, it's just a smart business move that takes in consideration what the Player's Association collectively bargained.

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

Here is the thing. I am fully in the camp that the Sox should now wait until April 15, but I also don’t blame the agents in this case, and think they should file. 

The Sox are simply playing the game the way the CBA is written. It’s totally unfair to a player like Eloy, and don’t blame either party for their actions in this case.

This should be the last post of this thread.  Both parties are doing exactly what they should be doing.

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Why do I get the feeling this article was put out by his camp to put pressure on the Sox to call him up this weekend?

I don’t see how he could win a grievance with the way Moncada,  Kopech, and Anderson were handled.

Also, totally accurate.  This wouldn't get out if the player's camp didn't want it in the news.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Ok, file then.

I'm sure the Sox have tried to lock him up to a deal that would put him in LF tonight.  If he wants to sign and get the money, I'm all for it. Until then, it's just a smart business move that takes in consideration what the Player's Association collectively bargained.

I agree it's a smart business move. It's also within the letter of the rules however it's not within the spirit of the rules. This is why the Sox will win the grievance. Still doesn't mean that it's right or that they are treating him player appropriately.

Just now, bmags said:

I hated when Astros were doing this with players and I hate it now. 

I've said it before, but did sox really not think this would happen? He was good in AA but they could have avoided all of this by just keeping him there until Aug 1, then giving him last month in AAA. Just stupid on their part. 

I'm sure it was. If they didn't say something, they wouldn't be doing their job. I said in another post that if I were in their shoes I'd ask RH if this has any thing to do with him

being black. If you represent someone you have to do any thing you can to try and get it done. That way if it back fires, the agents can say it wasn't Eloys idea to ask.

Just now, zisk said:

I'm sure it was. If they didn't say something, they wouldn't be doing their job. I said in another post that if I were in their shoes I'd ask RH if this has any thing to do with him

being black. If you represent someone you have to do any thing you can to try and get it done. That way if it back fires, the agents can say it wasn't Eloys idea to ask.

Isn't Eloy Hispanic?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This should be the last post of this thread.  Both parties are doing exactly what they should be doing.

I would change that to both parties are doing what they CAN do not what they should do. I think everyone knows that the Sox should call him up based on player development and what he deserves. They can keep him down by the rules and they will.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I should add just how clear it is what the agents are doing. They tried to play nice with The Players Tribune piece. That was the first push the agents made, which put pressure on the Sox but the fans loved it. 

It didn’t work, so now they are moving into phase 2, the more agressive PR approach. We’ll see what else they rollout from the PR Playbook.

Agreed 100%.