Eloy's Camp Unhappy: Grievance Possible

DirtySox

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

The Sox and Eloy's agents know this is all about the extra year of control and has nothing to do with Eloy's skin color.

So fucking stupid to worry about shit 7 fucking years from now.  You discount ANYTHING 7 years in the future heavily in ANY plans you make.  Christ.  You'd think a smart guy like Hahn would know more about long term predictions and how futile it is to plan that far out.

That said, this has JR's fingers all over it IMO.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

Here is the thing. I am fully in the camp that the Sox should now wait until April 15, but I also don’t blame the agents in this case, and think they should file. 

The Sox are simply playing the game the way the CBA is written. It’s totally unfair to a player like Eloy, and don’t blame either party for their actions in this case.

exactly.  Speakin of how things are writting....I also think it's idiotic if they insist on cramming MLB dugouts with AAA and AA players in September...it shouldn't count as service time.  

8 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I feel for Eloy. I get where both sides are coming from but he's stuck in the middle. IMHO both the Sox and agents could have handled this better.

I feel this way but also I don't see why his agents are to blame, they are acting in his best interests right now.

I get where both sides are coming from, but I think it's clearly an exploitative strategy on sox part, which isn't to say it isn't by the rules, so it's hard for me to be pumped about them pursuing it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

this is bullshit.  Leave it to the Sox to piss off the cornerstone of their rebuild.  Unreal.  Penny smart and pound foolish.

I'm going to trust that they've weighed all of this into a decision that makes the most sense for the window of winning they're trying to attain....which is 2021-2025.

If he wants to sign before then, great.

Just now, flavum said:

I'm going to trust that they've weighed all of this into a decision that makes the most sense for the window of winning they're trying to attain....which is 2021-2025.

If he wants to sign before then, great.

I don't trust them with jack shit when it comes to not pissing off their employees.  Seems a pattern.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So fucking stupid to worry about shit 7 fucking years from now.  You discount ANYTHING 7 years in the future heavily in ANY plans you make.  Christ.  You'd think a smart guy like Hahn would know more about long term predictions and how futile it is to plan that far out.

I see where both sides are coming from and neither is wrong from their perspectives. I really don't agree with either side handling this in the media but it's not surprising considering the modern era of baseball. Honestly I'm riding the fence. Would love to see Eloy up already but would love the extra year of control. 

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I see where both sides are coming from and neither is wrong from their perspectives. I really don't agree with either side handling this in the media but it's not surprising considering the modern era of baseball. Honestly I'm riding the fence. Would love to see Eloy up already but would love the extra year of control. 

I mentioned this the other day, but it's true...years ago, if you saw a 21-yr-old prospect killing it at AAA, you'd be happy, but you'd say, "That guy is going to be awesome next year when he gets called up". You wouldn't necessarily be demanding his call up for your entertainment for a month.  So part of the problem is just social media and being exposed to his daily performance.  And yes, the White Sox themselves add to that hype, but they're not doing anything that bad here.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel this way but also I don't see why his agents are to blame, they are acting in his best interests right now.

I get where both sides are coming from, but I think it's clearly an exploitative strategy on sox part, which isn't to say it isn't by the rules, so it's hard for me to be pumped about them pursuing it.

I fee the same way. The Sox started this when Hahn made the comment about checking all the boxes. Eloy handled the comment well and even had some fun with it in Charlotte but now it's escalating in the media. Hahn really should have kept a little quiet. All Hahn had to say was that the topic of when Eloy would be called up would be handled between the Sox, Eloy and his agents.

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

I fee the same way. The Sox started this when Hahn made the comment about checking all the boxes. Eloy handled the comment well and even had some fun with it in Charlotte but now it's escalating in the media. Hahn really should have kept a little quiet. All Hahn had to say was that the topic of when Eloy would be called up would be handled between the Sox, Eloy and his agents.

Nothing would have prevented this other than calling him up, which they should have done weeks ago.

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you value that 7th year of control at $25 million, it has a present value of $12,828,952.96

• Haha 1

He can file a grievance all he wants. He has no case. He’s played minimal games above AA and has spent large portions of the last 2 seasons on the DL.

I feel for the kid, but he’s just gonna have to wait until late next April.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Have you seen his projections?  Steamer thinks he's a 130 wRC+ hitter.  He doesn't need more AAA reps, he's ready.

As I said earlier I see both sides of this and neither side is wrong. If the Sox called Eloy up today I wouldn't be angry but if the Sox choose to wait until April next year I won't be angry. 

That said the Sox have painted their self into a corner in the media. If the Sox hold off on calling him up this little spat in the media between the Sox and agents is nothing compared to what it will be at the end of March when the Sox send Eloy back to Charlotte and then again in mid-April when they call him up. 

Part of me wants to see Eloy called up because he is ready but also to avoid the obvious media frenzy next spring if the Sox wait.

Why would the White Sox trade a month of games where basically most of them will be of AAA quality, for an extra year of control? Who knows what the situation will be in 7 years, but so what, we know what it will be now, and it's not a big price to pay for what they will receive, even if it turns out to be nothing.

• Like 1

Here's a novel idea: Tell Eloy and his agents that the front office agrees to bring him up now, if he will agree to take X amount of money, for that first year of free agency, and stay with the Sox, that year, in which they would lose control, by bringing him up now. That would be predicated on the basis that he were still with the team, at that time. It could be a generous amount, but the point would be that they don't want to lose him, during that competitive window, which they are striving to create. Could that work? Would the CBA permit such an agreement?

1 minute ago, Scoots said:

I wonder if it's not getting that extra year of control but simply just waiting for Charlotte's season to end during the first week of September?

I feel if that was the case, this article and the agent comments wouldn't exist right now.

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Here's a novel idea: Tell Eloy and his agents that the front office agrees to bring him up now, if he will agree to take X amount of money, for that first year of free agency, and stay with the Sox, that year, in which they would lose control, by bringing him up now. That would be predicated on the basis that he were still with the team, at that time. It could be a generous amount, but the point would be that they don't want to lose him, during that competitive window, which they are striving to create. Could that work? Would the CBA permit such an agreement?

See the earlier post about the Sox offering a contract extension to Eloy already.  They already did exactly this and apparently Jimenez's camp said no.