Eloy's Camp Unhappy: Grievance Possible

DirtySox

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

See the earlier post about the Sox offering a contract extension to Eloy already.  They already did exactly this and apparently Jimenez's camp said no.

I wasn't suggesting a conventional contract extension. I was referring to just that final year, in question.

Just now, Lillian said:

I wasn't suggesting a conventional contract extension. I was referring to just that final year, in question.

Such an agreement would not be a smart move without it being signed in writing.  If you want that sort of agreement, you have the framework of a contract extension and should just sign the deal.  Realistically the first 3 years are super easy, as the ranges of pay are really narrow.  It opens up a bit more in years 4-6, but it still governed by the restrictions of arbitration. Year 7 is where it really opens up as the player is giving up free agency.  If they are agreed on year 7, the first 6 years are much easier to define, at that point you literally have an 7 year contract outlined.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

See the earlier post about the Sox offering a contract extension to Eloy already.  They already did exactly this and apparently Jimenez's camp said no.

I wouldn't either.  He has two good years in MLB his price tag goes up exponentially.  Hell he has one good year.  

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Black = African American. Eloy is from the Dominican Republic. He isn't "black."

Does that mean there is no such thing as black people who are not America, not even in Africa?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You mean he is part African or just dark skinned?  I am genuinely curious because I have no idea.

I am always surprised how many are confused by this. Even many black Americans think blacks in Latin America are some distinctly different racial group. Blacks in Latin America are just black people raised in a hispanic culture, their ancestors are from Africa just like American blacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Does that mean there is no such thing as black people who are not America, not even in Africa?

I am always surprised how many are confused by this. Even many black Americans think blacks in Latin America are some distinctly different racial group. Blacks in Latin America are just black people raised in a hispanic culture, their ancestors are from Africa just like American blacks.

ah fuck it, not a politics thread.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I wouldn't either.  He has two good years in MLB his price tag goes up exponentially.  Hell he has one good year.  

So it's OK for Eloy to do what is in his best financial interests, but not the White Sox?

I don't know what a grievance would do. What exactly would be the line. Does one hot week in AAA mean a team would have to call you up? Does it matter what the current roster is doing? 

I think it's pretty obvious what the White Sox are doing. And it's what most teams in their situation would do. The teams that wouldn't, are the teams looking for some instant box office bang, and will trade a guy like Eloy the second he starts making any money.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

So it's OK for Eloy to do what is in his best financial interests, but not the White Sox?

I don't think it's in their long term interests to piss him off, on and off the field.  I've said numerous times that an event (any event) happening 7 years from the present should be heavily discounted in any current decision making process.   There's too much that can happen -- injury, trades, CBA changes, etc, to plan for.  

The Sox, imo, are using rigid, outdated thinking.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

It isn't confusing, I have no idea what Jimenez's background is. 

I think it is better business for the Sox to call him up on Saturday, and try to win some fucking games in September for a better pitch to Machado/Harper. Fuck the 7th year. If they can get either player by calling him up now, the enhancement of the window far exceeds the extra year. JMO. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think it is better business for the Sox to call him up on Saturday, and try to win some fucking games in September for a better pitch to Machado/Harper. Fuck the 7th year. If they can get either player by calling him up now, the enhancement of the window far exceeds the extra year. JMO. 

Why would that possibly affect either of their decisions (Machado/Harper)?  

Is Jimenez (going under the assumption they actually sign one of the two) then going to agree to have his seventh year extended before he ever steps on an MLB field?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would that affect either of their decisions?  

Because Eloy hitting in the majors rather than in AAA may make this team a lot more attractive to free agents who have concerns about how’ll competitive we’ll be next year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would that possibly affect either of their decisions (Machado/Harper)?  

Is Jimenez (going under the assumption they actually sign one of the two) then going to agree to have his seventh year extended before he ever steps on an MLB field?

It helps the pitch. If the Sox a) Call up Eloy b) he rakes and they win games then the pitch is much like the one the Cubs gave to Lester. It might work. It is worth the risk, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Eloy hitting in the majors rather than in AAA may make this team a lot more attractive to free agents who have concerns about how’ll competitive we’ll be next year.

This x infinity

Edited by Jack Parkman

We should have called him up a month ago.

If it is true the Sox approached him with a contract offer designed to secure the extra year while also calling him up this season, it would be proof positive of the Sox's motivations. I would be happy for the Sox to get sanctioned for this stuff because it's bad for the game and something has to be done to stop it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

We should have called him up a month ago.

If it is true the Sox approached him with a contract offer designed to secure the extra year while also calling him up this season, it would be proof positive of the Sox's motivations. I would be happy for the Sox to get sanctioned for this stuff because it's bad for the game and something has to be done to stop it.

I don't think it would make me happy for the Sox to get sanctioned for this, but I kinda hope the harder the players hit on this now the more the owners will understand "we have to have a better way to do this" going into the next CBA. Maybe we can get some of these fights fought now, and have both sides ready to make a deal so we can avoid a strike over this. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have actually been thinking about this. The Kopech buzz has some of the baseball world talking. Bringing Eloy up would also help with that.

• Thanks 1