2021 Rotation - Who Will Still Be in It

Chicago White Sox

The 2021 Rotation - Who Will Still Be in It?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these guys will still be in the rotation come 2021?

• Carlos Rodon
    • Lucas Giolito
    • Reynaldo Lopez
    • Michael Kopech

Ok, I thought this would be a fun exercise.  We now have four highly regarded pitching prospects in our rotation.  Each of them has their own questions & concerns, but all are 25 years old or younger.

Could these guys make up 4/5 of rotation come 2021?  Are we going to trade Rodon before then?  Will Giolito and/or Lopez flame out?  Does anyone doubt Kopech at this point?  Will be cool to see how things shake out here.

For reference, here is each prospect’s highest end of season ranking by Baseball America.

• Rodon - #15 prospect (2014)
  • Giolito - #5 prospect (2015)
  • Lopez - #31 prospect (2016)
  • Kopech - #11 prospect (2017)
Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Hansen and Lopez got strong cases too

They certainly have shots. Barring injuries or trades, I feel like Kopech, Rodon, and Dunning are locks. Cease is no sure thing but he sure has a high ceiling. To me it was between Giolito and Lopez for 5 and even if it's recency bias, I still feel as though Giolito has the better long-term makeup there. Lopez is a major leaguer, I just don't know if it's as a starter or a high leverage reliever 

59 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Hansen and Lopez got strong cases too

Hansen has to work out some major issues and with Dunning, not going to Arizona fall ball, who knows what his physical situation is and if he needs surgery that will delay his development.

31 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hansen has to work out some major issues and with Dunning, not going to Arizona fall ball, who knows what his physical situation is and if he needs surgery that will delay his development.

why do you keep harping on Dunning going to AFL?  I don't see what the point is of that honestly....

Everyone keeps talking about all of the uncommitted financial resources, which J. R. has to spend on free agents. Why not use some of it on Rodon? Whether it's before he gets to free agency, or at his contract year, sign him and keep him, if he has demonstrated that he can stay healthy. If most of our highest rated prospects realize their potential, the Sox shouldn't need to spend a lot of money on free agents, to fill holes. By the time Rodon reaches free agency, the team could have most of the positions filled with our best prospects.

11 hours ago, Wanne said:

why do you keep harping on Dunning going to AFL?  I don't see what the point is of that honestly....

Wanne: Because going there and actually pitching (or trying to pitch) helps remove some doubt about the status of his arm. At least it would give the Sox a better idea if he is good to go for the spring. Not pitching, or trying to pitch, means the Sox really won't know much until February. That's six months from now. If he's hurt and needs surgery you've lost six months of recovery time.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Everyone keeps talking about all of the uncommitted financial resources, which J. R. has to spend on free agents. Why not use some of it on Rodon? Whether it's before he gets to free agency, or at his contract year, sign him and keep him, if he has demonstrated that he can stay healthy. If most of our highest rated prospects realize their potential, the Sox shouldn't need to spend a lot of money on free agents, to fill holes. By the time Rodon reaches free agency, the team could have most of the positions filled with our best prospects.

Lillian: With Rodon's agent (Scott Boras) his M.O. is to take his guys to free agency and try to get he most he can for them. I understand his point of view, that's his job. I suspect unless the Sox were to offer a deal so amazingly high that Boras couldn't say no, he would turn down any overtures especially if Rodon continues to pitch "lights-out." And I don't know if the Sox would even make an approach like that in the first place as far as offering such an incredibly high contract deal.

Anything is possible but I can't see this happening on both sides.

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

I think it's very idealistic to think the Sox won't have to spend much on free agents but not very realistic. The Cubs augmented their rebuild with FA's Lester and Heyward and then augmented it further trading away potential superstars in Jimenez and Cease. They traded Gleyber Torres for Chapman. They traded Jorge Soler to the Royals and he sucked his 1st year but got his act together this year and was doing well before he got hurt. They traded Jeimer Candelario to the Tigers and he looked like a future superstar when 1st brought up last year but has regressed this year but still has a 1.4 WAR he's still just 24.

My point is you can't wait for youngsters to develop . Too many of them don't make it and there are always holes to fill. Right now the Sox have a ton of position player holes with only Eloy and perhaps Zavala on the horizon but Zavala may not be better then what we already have at catcher. When you reach that point where  multiple World Series are a distinct possibility you hit that competitive window with everything you got. The coming free agent classes this off season and next are filled with impact free agents and too many of the next wave of good prospects really aren't due here for another 1 or 2  years and even then they will be rookies going through the same growing pains that Giolito, Lopez and Moncada are experiencing.

Edit: I forgot they signed Yu Darvish for this year and when that didn't work they traded more minor leaguers and gave up more cash for Cole Hamels and Daniel Murphy. They emptied the farm and spent a ton of money to win one World Series and the chance at a 2nd.

The Sox might spend a lot of money and trade a lot of prospects for a chance at one World Series but if they get lucky enough to win one . I highly doubt they spend like the Cubs to get a 2nd one . The Cubs could've waited for Jimenez , Torres , Cease, Soler or Candelario but they needed the help in the here and now. The Sox only way to have sustained winning is if many of the propects work out which is why I think they can't afford to be high bidders for Harper or Machado. They are more likely to go after multiple guys who are good but not great players and rely heavily on winning more with pitching than they do with hitters.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I wouldn’t trade Rodon this off-season. His value isn’t that great what with his injury history, Arb compensation, and weakish peripherals this year. He’s only 1.2 fWar this year in 93 innings. Better to sell high next July if he’s pitching well, yet the team is still floundering. 

9 hours ago, Lillian said:

If he wanted to be be extended,  he would have long ago.

My point was that Rodon could be a good place to spend some of that free agency money, that everyone is lobbying for ownership to commit.

Rodon will be a free agent in 2022. That season could see a team consisting of the following:

3B. Moncada

2B  Madrigal

1B  Eloy

DH  LH power bat - Sheets ((If he is that guy, he plays first and Eloy is a DH). Most likely a Free Agent. Could be Future Draft pick, or trade acquisition ?????

CF. Robert

C.  Collins/Zavala or this year's Draft pick - Rutschman (I wish)

RF  Adolfo

LF  Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe or Walker. We better hope that we can fill the outfield, out of all of these top prospects. 

SS. Anderson

The Rotation of Rodon, Kopech, Cease, Giolito and Lopez, or Dunning will be cheap, except for Rodon's contract.

The Bullpen of Hamilton, Burdi, Fry, Frare, Ruiz, or any of the other relief prospects, may not need much outside help.

The point is that we may not have to spend a lot of money in free agency and Rodon may be as good a target, as anyone, for those funds.

I'm hoping that management waits to see how they do next year, in Abreu and Avi's last year, before they decide where they want to spend some of those vast financial resources. In any case, I'm not on board with giving Machado a 10 year, $350M to $400M contract.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

My point was that Rodon could be a good place to spend some of that free agency money, that everyone is lobbying for ownership to commit.

Rodon will be a free agent in 2022. That season could see a team consisting of the following:

3B. Moncada

2B  Madrigal

1B  Eloy

DH  LH power bat - Sheets ((If he is that guy, he plays first and Eloy is a DH). Most likely a Free Agent. Could be Future Draft pick, or trade acquisition ?????

CF. Robert

C.  Collins/Zavala or this year's Draft pick - Rutschman (I wish)

RF  Adolfo

LF  Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe or Walker. We better hope that we can fill the outfield, out of all of these top prospects. 

SS. Anderson

The Rotation of Rodon, Kopech, Cease, Giolito and Lopez, or Dunning will be cheap, except for Rodon's contract.

The Bullpen of Hamilton, Burdi, Fry, Frare, Ruiz, or any of the other relief prospects, may not need much outside help.

The point is that we may not have to spend a lot of money in free agency and Rodon may be as good a target, as anyone, for those funds.

I'm hoping that management waits to see how they do next year, in Abreu and Avi's last year, before they decide where they want to spend some of those vast financial resources. In any case, I'm not on board with giving Machado a 10 year, $350M to $400M contract.  

Sure, but Rodon has to be willing to sign, and there has been no indication he is willing. 

Allow me to clarify, one more time. If Rodon wants to wait until he is a free agent, then I am suggesting that the Sox consider signing him as a free agent, at that time. They have money to spend, and that would be a good place to use some of it. Obviously, if he had not proven to be a top of the rotation, healthy starter, at that point, I wouldn't favor such a move. I'm simply trying to say that, if he merits it, I would advocate that the Sox be willing to spend big, in order to keep him.

There is a point, at which it doesn't make sense to keep trading those who become stars, for an endless stream of prospects. Carlos is a guy that could be another Sale, and the Ace of the staff. If they are going to be competitive in the first half of the next decade. It's time to keep the key guys, and he could most definitely be one of them. 

• Like 1

If we are fortunate to have guys pan out like Lillian illustrates,  these guys will have come up together and you may get some extensions etc from non Boras clients at a bit of a discount.  Those guys on the A+ team are probably having a ball and like each other.  Winning makes you attractive to other players as well.