Brewers acquire Xavier Cedeno

Sockin

I don't get bringing up Hamilton.  Is he deserving yes but in a lost year adding him to the 40 means you may lose someone else.  I get we have a lot of deadwood available to cut but to screw with Eloy while bringing up other guys seems counter productive.

31 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think that's nearly as important with relief pitchers . Were you being facetious ?

No I wasn’t. I agree that it’s not as important but if they were gonna call him up this season, they could have/should have done it a month or two ago. He’s been ready 

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I don't get bringing up Hamilton.  Is he deserving yes but in a lost year adding him to the 40 means you may lose someone else.  I get we have a lot of deadwood available to cut but to screw with Eloy while bringing up other guys seems counter productive.

We were going to add him by late April anyways, so I’m not sure it’s that big of a deal.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We were going to add him by late April anyways, so I’m not sure it’s that big of a deal.

He was ineligible for this years rule 5 draft.  Putting him on 40 man now means someone who could be protected this Dec won't be.  I agree if you were going to promote him this year they could have done this weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

After watching last nights bullpen implosion I completely get it. ;)

2 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

He was ineligible for this years rule 5 draft.  Putting him on 40 man now means someone who could be protected this Dec won't be.  I agree if you were going to promote him this year they could have done this weeks ago.

Yes, but the person who could have been protected would have ultimately been let go in late April next year when we added Hamilton to the 25 man.  I really don’t think that element is a big deal.

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

That makes no sense. Not every reliever implodes after a few years. If he is good, he will get expensive a year earlier and be a free agent a year earlier. It's that simple. 

Don't be silly unless he's a Hoffman, Chapman or Kimbrel  the extra year means nothing with relievers. Find me a few examples of relievers that started with one team who were relievers from the very start who made it all the way to FA and ended up getting big bucks.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Why in the hell wasn't he up a month ago then?

Maybe you forgot but I think the Sox were tanking.  I really don't even think the Sox management expected the starting pitching would so drastically improve. It might even change their thinking about the off season plans.

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't be silly unless he's a Hoffman, Chapman or Kimbrel  the extra year means nothing with relievers. Find me a few examples of relievers that started with one team who were relievers from the very start who made it all the way to FA and ended up getting big bucks.

Huston street. They traded him, but that doesn't matter. He was nails from start to finish of his rookie deal. He would get a hell of a lot more in today's market too. 

38 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Huston street. They traded him, but that doesn't matter. He was nails from start to finish of his rookie deal. He would get a hell of a lot more in today's market too. 

So the answer is no you couldn't name a few guys that fit my criteria. He didn't make it to free agency which is what I asked for. So the extra year of control doesn't matter, even though you arrogantly stated that having the extra year meant so much and was so simple to understand.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah I don't get the complaining. Relievers are so much easier to extend that the extra year is irrelevant. If Hamilton turns into something you can bet the Sox will extend him and we have history on our side to back that up.

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Yeah I don't get the complaining. Relievers are so much easier to extend that the extra year is irrelevant. If Hamilton turns into something you can bet the Sox will extend him and we have history on our side to back that up.

I have an answer for you but I'd probably be accused of being a grouchy old coot (not by you of course). The nicest thing I can say is it's runaway extra year of controlitis.  Might be time for a new avatar. :P

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have an answer for you but I'd probably be accused of being a grouchy old coot (not by you of course). The nicest thing I can say is it's runaway extra year of controlitis.  Might be time for a new avatar. :P

Yeah it's the year of complaining. Moncada sucks, Anderson sucks, Giolito sucks, Abreu sucks and Lopez is not a starter. Did I miss anyone? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1