Sawx @ Sox, 7:10, 8/31- Kopech Night III

soxfan49

In my opinion, the most significant thing in this game, could very well be Moncada's swing at that high and outside pitch, in a 2 strike count. That is a pitch that he would have taken, almost every time. Sometimes, it would have been called for a ball, and seemingly more often, called for a strike, at least the ones even closer to the strike zone. However, this time he decided to swing and more importantly, he didn't try to pull that pitch. Instead, he did what he should be doing more often. He took the ball to left field. Although it was a homer, the result was less important, than the decision to swing and to swing the way he did. I commented at the time, in this thread. 

Let's hope that he has finally figured this out, and that going forward he will replicate this kind of an approach. The shift makes such an approach even more effective, especially with his speed. There are a lot of potential extra base hits, to the vacated left side of the infield. He could get a lot of hits, including those of the infield variety, with his speed. I'm hoping that this at bat represents a mile stone, in his young career. If so, we could see him really begin to realize that enormous, intriguing potential.

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

In my opinion, the most significant thing in this game, could very well be Moncada's swing at that high and outside pitch, in a 2 strike count. That is a pitch that he would have taken, almost every time. Sometimes, it would have been called for a ball, and seemingly more often, called for a strike, at least the ones even closer to the strike zone. However, this time he decided to swing and more importantly, he didn't try to pull that pitch. Instead, he did what he should be doing more often. He took the ball to left field. Although it was a homer, the result was less important, than the decision to swing and to swing the way he did. I commented at the time, in this thread. 

Let's hope that he has finally figured this out, and that going forward he will replicate this kind of an approach. The shift makes such an approach even more effective, especially with his speed. There are a lot of potential extra base hits, to the vacated left side of the infield. He could get a lot of hits, including those of the infield variety, with his speed. I'm hoping that this at bat represents a mile stone, in his young career. If so, we could see him really begin to realize that enormous, intriguing potential.

He is making a lot more contact lately and you are correct in your assessment. I was disappointed later in the game right before the Davidson HR  with him. With 2 men on he worked the count to 3-1 .Perfect time to be looking fastball and he took one right down the middle. He then struck out. No idea why he doesn't swing in an obvious FB situation on a pitch right down the middle . That situation and that pitch is where even bad hitters become great hitters.