Eloy Will NOT Be Called Up

DirtySox

They let eloys camp control the narrative.  The "box checking" thing became a meme.  They should have had a strong "long term future" narrative going back as far as around the minor league ASB. 

Instead they left open, at least among fans, the possibility he'd be up in August.  Should have been clear that he was not coming up, boxes checked or not.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They let eloys camp control the narrative.  The "box checking" thing became a meme.  They should have had a strong "long term future" narrative going back as far as around the minor league ASB. 

Instead they left open, at least among fans, the possibility he'd be up in August.  Should have been clear that he was not coming up, boxes checked or not.

Well said, Getz blew it and Hahn did himself no favors 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

You realize there are maybe 10,000 people that know what Chris Getz interview you’re referring to? Get out of the hardcore Sox bubble.

The "really close" tweet was everywhere that weekend after his interview.  You even said above he jumped the gun.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

He did jump the gun. I also live in this hardcore Sox bubble.

Again, aside from a few hardcore fans acting like Veruca Salt, I don’t see how it really is a PR hit for the Sox. Everyone is going to excited for Eloy on April 15, just like Cubs fans were for Kris Bryant, when Theo Christ did the same thing a few years ago on the North Side.

And I never said that Eloy's agents have handled this very well.  Actually thought the Players Tribute thing was uncalled for.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And I never said that Eloy's agents have handled this very well.  Actually thought the Players Tribute thing was uncalled for.

Fans ate that stuff up, and for good reasons. But the front office probably went a little crazy that day.

It's odd how anyone can say that Eloy's agents have handled this poorly.  I think they have handled it really well.  They don't care about the team or appearences, just their client.  He deserves to be up, everyone knows that.  So they have to look out for him and that's what they are doing 

The Sox on the other hand have played this very poorly.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moncada said:

It's odd how anyone can say that Eloy's agents have handled this poorly.  I think they have handled it really well.  They don't care about the team or appearences, just their client.  He deserves to be up, everyone knows that.  So they have to look out for him and that's what they are doing 

The Sox on the other hand have played this very poorly.  

I would disagree. The Sox are simply following the rules of the system in place. It's a well know fact that the current CBA is not working out well for the players, and more and more players and agents are making their frustrations heard. All this noise is coming from Eloy's agents - and like you said, they are standing up for their client (as they should).

I totally want to see Eloy in a Sox uniform, but it makes a lot of sense for the Sox to wait and approach this from a long-term business perspective. As a fan, I will be both disappointed and angry if the Sox ultimately keep him down because he literally doesn't have anything left to prove. But they are well within the current set of rules to allow them to do this. Every team approaches this in the same way. Will it change in the future? You bet - no way the next CBA doesn't try to negotiate some type of penalty against teams that take advantage and play the service time loophole. Hopefully they call him up, because I honestly don't believe anything Nightingale ever says.

I just hope the next CBA gets creative with service time and gets players that deserve to be in the big leagues there without a huge disincentive to the club. 

And the term “September Callup” needs to die forever.

Edited by flavum