Happy Hawk Day Sept 2 game thread

southsider2k5

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Very nice Frare ! 1 2 3  2 K's 10 pitches.

25 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

These new bullpen arms. Don't sleep yall.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just swap out Burdi for Danish next year and it looks even better.

Just went back and watched this.

CL: Hamilton
SU: Fry
SU: Burdi
MR: Frare
MR: Burr
MR: Vieira
LR: Minaya

Covey takes Shields rotation spot. Then arms like Johnson, Ruiz, and Schryver are other internal relievers being developed.

5 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Covey takes Shields rotation spot. Then arms like Johnson, Ruiz, and Schryver are other internal relievers being developed.

Swap Bummer for Viera, I really don't see a future there without a drastic improvement in control.

Also I think they'll sign a starter. Covey is...not good.

2 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Or we pay for Kimbrel or someone else ,Keep Shield eww, ( or pay for another SP) ,let Covey be the long man Vieira eh not that likely. Robertson's a FA  right ? Bummer still could be used too.

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Or we pay for Kimbrel or someone else ,Keep Shield eww, ( or pay for another SP) ,let Covey be the long man Vieira eh not that likely. Robertson's a FA  right ? Bummer still could be used too.

I was mainly going for the entirety internal BP. Saves such huge money.

2 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

I was mainly going for the entirety internal BP. Saves such huge money.

Kimbrel will be expensive. Robertson probably not so bad . Haven't looked at other FA RP's. But I think one more reliable arm at least . Not sure how ready any of the other guys are you mentioned while Burdi, Frare , Burr, Hamilton all rookies should go through huge growing pains. A veteran RP to show them the ropes is good.

What is the status with Nate Jones? Isn't he expected to be healthy next year? Why couldn't he be the veteran guy for the pen? Here is his contract:

• 19: club option at Major League mininum salary, 20:$3.75M club option, 21:$4.25M club option
  • buyout of $1.25M if an option is declined

I suspect that they would have to sweeten the deal, but why not?

Edited by Lillian

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

What is the status with Nate Jones? Isn't he expected to be healthy next year? Why couldn't he be the veteran guy for the pen? Here is his contract:

• 19: club option at Major League mininum salary, 20:$3.75M club option, 21:$4.25M club option

Nate Jones NEVER seems to be healthy, that's just the way he is historically. I'd rather give a kid a shot or sign someone myself. 

Nice to see them play well on a big day before a very nice crowd. If I recall correctly they lost on Konerko's day, Buehrle's day, Thome's day and the 10th anniversary celebration for the 2005 team.

Edited by Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Why sweeten anything ? He's signed for the minimum next year should they decide not to put him out to pasture. His arm is spaghetti .

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why sweeten anything ? He's signed for the minimum next year should they decide not to put him out to pasture. His arm is spaghetti .

Yes, you are correct. I read the terms again, and the Sox do have a club option, to retain him next year, at the MLB minimum. I assume that they will exercise that option.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Jones is toast.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Hawk always says stuff like this. That's why he can no longer be taken seriously.

He's a fan. What do you want him to say.... Oh yeah the sox are building but are still gonna bend over to the cubs....