Hahn confirmed: No Eloy in '18

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Why?  It should be expected by everyone with knowledge of the situation.

It will be awkward in terms of the excuses the Sox will try to come up with to justify sending Eloy back to Charlotte at the end of ST. They will most likely say they want to see Eloy work on his defense in Charlotte and then miraculously he will have drastically improved by the third or fourth week of April and call him up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

32 weeks until Eloy Day. April 15 vs KC.

How many days into the season does it have to be, 11 days is it? I thought that's what it was for Bryant.

I remember telling my Cubs fans friends that out of the 11 days, they only had 9 games that Bryant would miss. And one was actually PPD so they only missed him the first 8 games I think it was. I do think they waited a few more days and they didn't call him up right after.

Edited by soxfan2014

The handling of this situation has been so bad. Now Hahn gets talked into insulting his franchise cornerstone by saying he doesn't want to develop a 21-year-old DH, which is of course an unnecessary cheapshot against such an important figure and totally asinine — as if he'd be unable to get better at defense while playing every day in Chicago for a month rather than sitting on his hands.

I haven't seen this shared here, but I found it to be an excellent argument about how the Sox bungled this: https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/08/31/the-business-case-against-suppressing-eloy-jimenez/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

How many days into the season does it have to be, 11 days is it? I thought that's what it was for Bryant.

I’m not sure what the exact number is. With the season starting March 28, maybe he’ll be up April 10 vs TB, but 4/15 seems a safe date to pick. 

Bottom line, he starts a great career sometime in April.

If you read anything about him, Chicago apparently has long had a special significance for Eloy. But instead of rewarding this young man for a fantastic display since joining this organization, and having confidence that we could retain him in 2025 by simply developing a positive relationship with him and offering a competitive amount of money when the time comes, we decide to play technicalities to trap him here for the extra time.

I’ll be sure to bump this post going into 2026 when we’re not even considered for Eloy’s next contract. Or when we wonder why other big names never seem to want to play for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, The Sir said:

If you read anything about him, Chicago apparently has long had a special significance for Eloy. But instead of rewarding this young man for a fantastic display since joining this organization, and having confidence that we could retain him in 2025 by simply developing a positive relationship with him and offering a competitive amount of money when the time comes, we decide to play technicalities to trap him here for the extra time.

I’ll be sure to bump this post going into 2026 when we’re not even considered for Eloy’s next contract. Or when we wonder why other big names never seem to want to play for us.

They already tried negotiating an extension with him. I'm sure it would've only been for the next 7 years and he would have been up this season. I have a feeling he wants to go season to season in arb years. Something tells me this is part of why they are keeping him down. Gotta get all 7 years out of him.

Edited by soxfan2014

9 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Just make sure to come and bump it and say you were wrong if he extends.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

For what it's worth, if the Sox came to him offering a contract in exchange for a call-up, it is concrete proof of their bad faith dealing and may cost them in a grievance proceeding.

I doubt they'd offer him a deal before he's even debuted. What if he is the next Jorge Solar?

13 minutes ago, Jake said:

For what it's worth, if the Sox came to him offering a contract in exchange for a call-up, it is concrete proof of their bad faith dealing and may cost them in a grievance proceeding.

Yes. 

While it is a good business decision to do this, it completely ignores the human element. Eloy deserves a promotion, no question. Given my incredibly pro-worker stance in real life, under no way can I condone this. This is the real life equivalent of your boss giving you more responsibility at work and no change in job title or pay. How would you like it if your boss treated you this way? This is the type of thinking that leads companies to cut corners and squeeze every last dollar out of labor. I wish the remainder of the US labor force had as strong of a union as the MLB players do. It is something to be applauded, not vilified. America's middle and lower classes should strive to have a union as strong as the MLBPA negotiating on their behalf. If the Sox get screwed in any way if they file the grievance, while I'll hate it as a fan, I'll love it in every other way. The Sox deserve anything they have coming to them on this one. 

Nobody should be siding with ownership on this one unless they're willing to work at their current job for 60 hrs a week for $5/hr with no overtime or vacation.  

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

According to White Sox Dave, they offered him a contract. He had an opportunity at guaranteed money to come up now. There is no guarantee that Eloy would mash in the majors, so unless it were peanuts orEloy is MVP out the gate he'd likely be well compensated.

The Cubs did it with their ROY-MVP and he seems happy. If the Sox are winning and close to the World Series in three years,  Rodon and Eloy are probably gonna be signing fat contracts from the Sox.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s the right call at this point.  I’m not sure why people feel bad for Eloy when he will still make millions upon millions over the course of his career.  A six week delay to his major league debut doesn’t change that.

Because when the Sox do something that the Cubs and Astros would do, they Sox are bad and stupid.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1