Abreu

SCCWS

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can Abreu, Davidson, Palka and Delmonico all co-exist on the roster? I think the answer to that is definitively no.  Especially if the Sox make any sort of splash in FA.  

Delmonico probably gets the LF job for like 10 games next year until Eloy comes up.  He'll have an option left, so I think he goes to Charlotte at that point for everyday at bats.  Davidson is out of options.  Does Palka have one still?  

Palka is my DH next season.  He mashes RH pitching, and Davidson matches LH, so a platoon does make some sense. Just not sure there is really room on the roster for Davidson as a part time DH unless the Sox basically stand pat offensively this offseason.  Any signing of a CF or 3B pushes Davidson off the roster IMO because your bench is going to be made up of some mixture of Castillo/Narvaez, Leury, Engel, and Yolmer.  Rondon definitely has an option left so he probably stays in Charlotte.  

There is an awesome website that tracks options/contract status that was passed around here earlier this season and can't recall what it was.  Anyone have that handy?  

Two of those guys probably aren't going to be around come May 1, 2019.  The big one is making a spot for Eloy.  When he gets here, there will be no platooning.  He will start 5 days a week for sure.  Realistically, Palka and Delmonico are going to be a fighting for a spot.  They are both poor defenders.  Nicky is a better all around hitter, but Palka has shown left handed thunder, that he can at least cover RF and LF for a game or two (while he started out historically bad, he has improved a decent amount as the season has gone on), and that he can come off of the bench cold to hit.  I am guessing Palka wins the bench spot.

My guess is that another 3B is on this roster by April and Davidson bids the franchise adieu.

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can Abreu, Davidson, Palka and Delmonico all co-exist on the roster? I think the answer to that is definitively no.  Especially if the Sox make any sort of splash in FA.  

Delmonico probably gets the LF job for like 10 games next year until Eloy comes up.  He'll have an option left, so I think he goes to Charlotte at that point for everyday at bats.  Davidson is out of options.  Does Palka have one still?  

Palka is my DH next season.  He mashes RH pitching, and Davidson matches LH, so a platoon does make some sense. Just not sure there is really room on the roster for Davidson as a part time DH unless the Sox basically stand pat offensively this offseason.  Any signing of a CF or 3B pushes Davidson off the roster IMO because your bench is going to be made up of some mixture of Castillo/Narvaez, Leury, Engel, and Yolmer.  Rondon definitely has an option left so he probably stays in Charlotte.  

There is an awesome website that tracks options/contract status that was passed around here earlier this season and can't recall what it was.  Anyone have that handy?  

You figure a 4-man bench would be a catcher (probably Narvaez), Sanchez (if they improve at 3B), Engel (if no one is signed and they let Cordell prove himself every day next year), and then you have an extra spot. Keeping all 3 into next season likely means Palka is the DH, Davidson as a backup 1B/3B and platoon DH, and Delmonico in LF (also assuming Garcia is here). Once Eloy comes up, they would have to decide who they would want here out of those 3. I would think Nicky would be the odd-man out. I do think they will shop all 3 and trade whichever one has the best offer.

25 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You figure a 4-man bench would be a catcher (probably Narvaez), Sanchez (if they improve at 3B), Engel (if no one is signed and they let Cordell prove himself every day next year), and then you have an extra spot. Keeping all 3 into next season likely means Palka is the DH, Davidson as a backup 1B/3B and platoon DH, and Delmonico in LF (also assuming Garcia is here). Once Eloy comes up, they would have to decide who they would want here out of those 3. I would think Nicky would be the odd-man out. I do think they will shop all 3 and trade whichever one has the best offer.

Nicky has an option so he is the easy first odd man out when Eloy comes up unless the Sox move on from Davidson this offseason.  

The other potential wild card is Avi.  If the Sox non-tender Avi, there is a little more space to keep these guys around. I don't think that is going to happen though.