Kopech Day IV- Gamethread

soxfan49

The broadcast talked about Kopech's body language and muttering in warmups.  This was a night he didn't have it and the Tigers had seen him recently.  Coupled with the seams on the MLB baseball (which all the new guys admitted to dealing with) and a rain delay, it is in retrospect, predictable.

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

The broadcast talked about Kopech's body language and muttering in warmups.  This was a night he didn't have it and the Tigers had seen him recently.  Coupled with the seams on the MLB baseball (which all the new guys admitted to dealing with) and a rain delay, it is in retrospect, predictable.

With regards to seams, he really is struggling with the changeup. He threw that one great one vs Twins, but it seems a majority of the ones he throws fade up and to the right way out of the zone.  That's a pitch he will hopefully get more comfortable with in future seasons.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

With regards to seams, he really is struggling with the changeup. He threw that one great one vs Twins, but it seems a majority of the ones he throws fade up and to the right way out of the zone.  That's a pitch he will hopefully get more comfortable with in future seasons.

In Fegan's Athletic article, several of the callups talk about just losing a grip on the ball and it sailing or spinning up to the plate.  I am in no way affiliated with the Athletic but they have some very insightful stuff.

15 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

In Fegan's Athletic article, several of the callups talk about just losing a grip on the ball and it sailing or spinning up to the plate.  I am in no way affiliated with the Athletic but they have some very insightful stuff.

I caught a ball at a game a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was how slick the ball seemed. I don’t blame pitchers for using pine tar.

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wouldn't his main job be to get them to perform well?

They can't perform well if they are on the DL. We've all seen how difficult it is for pitchers to stay healthy year after year. I'm probably biased but I think it's keeping them healthy first. They all have talent to varying degrees and he does need to maximize their performance but he can't do that if they aren't  on the mound.

Has anyone ruled out he was working on a 2-seamer? That would explain the velocity dip and movement he had on it at times. Regardless, the conditions heading into this game absolutely should be enough for everyone to chill out over him. He has had 3 games delayed to start his pro career. That has to be insanely frustrating for a competitive guy of his nature. 

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Has anyone ruled out he was working on a 2-seamer? That would explain the velocity dip and movement he had on it at times. Regardless, the conditions heading into this game absolutely should be enough for everyone to chill out over him. He has had 3 games delayed to start his pro career. That has to be insanely frustrating for a competitive guy of his nature. 

Pitchers can have rough nights. He hasn't learned how to pitch in the MLB yet, let alone how to pitch without his best stuff. Pitching in the MLB is stressful on the body and he has been on adrenaline since his call up and he is pitching more innings than he ever has.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Because MLB hitters are better than minor league hitters and the precision of the command needs to be better.

But he hasnt even been given a chance to find that out yet. I can tell you one thing . They hit 93 real good. Why screw with his speed before you find how it'll work on this level ?

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But he hasnt even been given a chance to find that out yet. I can tell you one thing . They hit 93 real good. Why screw with his speed before you find how it'll work on this level ?

I have no idea if this is actually the case. I'm just giving a couple of possible reasons. MLB hitter will make contact with straight pitches no matter how how he throws them. His first start he was hitting 96-97 regularly. He threw 50 pitches in 2 innings because they kept fouling them off. He won't make it doing that. He needs to work on movement for more misses with less pitches. 

Or he may just not have had his good stuff due to being fatigued from his innings load and had a bad night.

Edited by ptatc

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Carlos Rodon's 7th start, 3.2 innings, 7 runs. He got crushed. Shame his career fell apart afterwards. (I was at that game btw, entirely ruined his career).

The game ruined his career or you did? I really want to know because I must have a single thing  to blame. There is no such thing as a problem with multiple causation.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Given the weather this game either should not have been played at all of the kid shouldn't have been brought back out there even though the first delay wasn't to long. 

I kind of agree with you there. Couple difficult games for two young prospects to experience 

I don't think anyone should blame this on the rain delay.  The  first homer was hit before the delay and it was crushed.

The hype around Kopech is way overblown. He is a young player who has a lot to learn. Let him learn, and he'll develop faster. Same with Moncada.

This is what is tough about rebuilds. There are days like this. Meanwhile Kopech needs to work on his command. Let him do that, too.