Kopech has a torn UCL, TJS recommended

soxfan49

I wish Michael Kopech a successful surgery and recovery and I'm glad he will be getting a ML salary during his recovery time. As a fan it sucks losing the extra year of control and sucks for the rebuild. But being a Sox fan for a long long time has told me to be more concerned with the individual who is hurt.

It's his hopes and dreams that are on the line here , not mine .As a Sox fan of many years  I expect things to go wrong. It's why I constantly remind everyone about injuries and flops.

There's no need for outrage or crying over the rebuild.

Good luck Michael Kopech.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
mispelled Micahel
  • Like 1

The biggest questions now should be how this impacts our offseason plan and if there is any way for us to get back some of that time that he is going to lose.

I think any chance of us contending next year is probably gone now with some guys not taking the steps forward that we would have wanted and this leaving a spot in the top of the rotation open. I would not be surprised to see us sell off and try to push back our window a little further. Rodon looks great, but who knows if he will sign an extension and if we would even want to with how injured he has been. We should look what the landscape if like for him and weigh keeping him with the downside of another injury versus the risks of even more prospects. Abreu and Avi should probably be traded, but after their respective season I can't see that happening in the offseason, so we might have to go into next year with them and hope for a bounce back. If Castillo plays well this last month of the season he should attract some trade interest and he might be expendable with how good Narvaez has looked offensively and the catchers we have coming up through the system needing spots. Going into next year expecting to rebuild would also allow us to keep trotting Palka and Engel out there to see what they can become with even more major league experience.

As for Kopech, assuming he is not healthy for all of next season, we may be able to justify sending him down to start 2020 so he can get back up to speed against lesser competition which would also give us a chance to gain an extra year of control which will make the pain of losing all of next year hurt less. If my math is right that would give us control through 2024 versus 2023. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The Cub were smart and did not rebuild mainly around pitching like the Sox. There is absolutely no guarantee that this rebuild turns into anything like the Cubs or Astros. Can we please get a mulligan on the Chris Sale trade? 

Not a chance. Sale has his issues too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

The biggest questions now should be how this impacts our offseason plan and if there is any way for us to get back some of that time that he is going to lose.

I think any chance of us contending next year is probably gone now with some guys not taking the steps forward that we would have wanted and this leaving a spot in the top of the rotation open. I would not be surprised to see us sell off and try to push back our window a little further. Rodon looks great, but who knows if he will sign an extension and if we would even want to with how injured he has been. We should look what the landscape if like for him and weigh keeping him with the downside of another injury versus the risks of even more prospects. Abreu and Avi should probably be traded, but after their respective season I can't see that happening in the offseason, so we might have to go into next year with them and hope for a bounce back. If Castillo plays well this last month of the season he should attract some trade interest and he might be expendable with how good Narvaez has looked offensively and the catchers we have coming up through the system needing spots. Going into next year expecting to rebuild would also allow us to keep trotting Palka and Engel out there to see what they can become with even more major league experience.

As for Kopech, assuming he is not healthy for all of next season, we may be able to justify sending him down to start 2020 so he can get back up to speed against lesser competition which would also give us a chance to gain an extra year of control which will make the pain of losing all of next year hurt less. If my math is right that would give us control through 2024 versus 2023. 

How convienent for this front office. I'm tired of the damn excuses and losing baseball. I guess we got another two more years of tanking baseball to look forward to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I think the Sox can send him down in 2020 for a few weeks which would stop the service clock and the team can get the year back. that would be 2025. 

I think they just wanted the best volume of high upside prospects at the time the December 16 deals were made regardless of position because the system had been so barren for years at that point. It just so happened the Nationals were prospect heavy with pitching and wanted to add Eaton. They did get 2 position prospects in the Sale trade. 

Edited by Replacement Level Poster
Forgot to add quote

Ughh...this is really disheartening. Seems like we can’t get anything positive to happen with young players in this franchise. 

I guess technicaly it really doesn’t change a ton in terms of overall team timeline, but still just sucks. I know the surgery has advanced a ton, but still no guarantees 

5 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's the risk you take when you choose to stockpile young pitching prospects. Bummer.

This is why you STOCKPILE pitching prospects; and not have 6 or 7 and say everything's peachy.  This is why you don't fritter talent and draft choices away.

Who's next man up?

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Ughh...this is really disheartening. Seems like we can’t get anything positive to happen with young players in this franchise. 

I guess technicaly it really doesn’t change a ton in terms of overall team timeline, but still just sucks. I know the surgery has advanced a ton, but still no guarantees 

That’s the thing. Some guys have the surgery, sit out a year, and come back fine. Some wind up sucking, and for some, it’s the beginning of injury after injury. Hopefully he will be fine.

3 minutes ago, Baker said:

I think the Sox can send him down in 2020 for a few weeks which would stop the service clock and the team can get the year back. that would be 2025. 

Check my math here to see if I'm wrong somewhere:

2018 - service year 1

2019 - service year 2

2020 - service year 2 - keep him down for ~1.5 months (this september + regular 2 weeks needed) and he won't have enough for a full year of service 

2021 - service year 3

2022 - service year 4

2023 - service year 5

2024 - service year 6

Edited by GenericUserName

10 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The Cub were smart and did not rebuild mainly around pitching like the Sox. There is absolutely no guarantee that this rebuild turns into anything like the Cubs or Astros. Can we please get a mulligan on the Chris Sale trade? 

4 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

I think they just wanted the best volume of high upside prospects at the time the December 16 deals were made regardless of position because the system had been so barren for years at that point. It just so happened the Nationals were prospect heavy with pitching and wanted to add Eaton. They did get 2 position prospects in the Sale trade. 

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

Check my math here to see if I'm wrong somewhere:

2018 - service year 1

2019 - service year 2

2020 - service year 2 - keep him down for ~1.5 months (this september + regular 2 weeks needed) and he won't have enough for a full year of service 

2021 - service year 3

2022 - service year 4

2023 - service year 5

2024 - service year 6

No. I think 2018 doesn’t count towards a full year. 2019 would be his first service year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Good lord people.  I get this really really sucks and all, but these hot takes would embarrass Cubs fans. I mean even Donald Trump would think twice before hitting reply on a few of these.

Rodon
Cease
Dunning
Lopez
Giolito
Adams
Hansen
Stephens
Fulmer
$$$ for free agents
Healthy Kopech

Drafted pitchers.