Taking a hiatus at the end of the baseball season

Jack Parkman

I've been a pretty big contributor here for a long time(started posting at SoxTalk in Jan of 06 after defecting from WSI), but this weekend has kind of broken me as a fan. I might take a year off and not care even close to as much about my Chicago sports teams. I'm posting this because of my posts in the past about MI/Autism, and I don't want anyone to worry about me. I'm fine. I'm just catching up developmentally and growing as an adult. I'm starting to realize a lot more where my priorities are, and sports, quite frankly, isn't one of them right now. I'm already pretty invested in this season, So I'll stick around until I start my new job leading up to the last week of the season, after that, all bets are off. I don't know if I'll return or not. Who Knows? I might like not wasting time on watching a silly game a lot more than wasting time on it. I've been working really hard to eliminate pessimistic thoughts, and sports are letting them creep back into my brain. I can't have it and it isn't healthy for me. 

Peace, 

Parkman

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've been a pretty big contributor here for a long time(started posting at SoxTalk in Jan of 06 after defecting from WSI), but this weekend has kind of broken me as a fan. I might take a year off and not care even close to as much about my Chicago sports teams. I'm posting this because of my posts in the past about MI/Autism, and I don't want anyone to worry about me. I'm fine. I'm just catching up developmentally and growing as an adult. I'm starting to realize a lot more where my priorities are, and sports, quite frankly, isn't one of them right now. I'm already pretty invested in this season, So I'll stick around until I start my new job leading up to the last week of the season, after that, all bets are off. I don't know if I'll return or not. Who Knows? I might like not wasting time on watching a silly game a lot more than wasting time on it. I've been working really hard to eliminate pessimistic thoughts, and sports are letting them creep back into my brain. I can't have it and it isn't healthy for me. 

Peace, 

Parkman

Good luck, we hope to see you back sooner than later. Some times investing emotionally in a team can be really tough.

As my wife once told me when she became a bit irritated how much time I was spending with baseball games, it's just a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes, running around in dirt trying to hit a ball with a stick. 

I was actually thinking more about this after the Bears game last night. as I do from time to time, and listening to how pissed off OB and Hampton were after the game. Yeah it's great when they win. It's great when the Sox win, but in the end, it really isn't that important. If your overall happiness depends on these teams being successful, you're screwed.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The Kopech injury was a knife to the back. The Bears game last night was the twisting of the knife. It hurt a lot. I put a lot of money into the Bears especially- season tickets, apparel, memorabilia- and they never fucking love me back. It really fucking hurts today.

@Jack Parkman I wish you the best. I know we disagree often and I think some of your takes are downright stupid, but health/family first, always. Good luck my man.

Best of luck Jack!  Next year will definitely be trying so stepping away may be best.  At least you recognized it was not a positive for you.  As an optimist, I found if I go to the minor league box scores first, I can find someone did something good and be happy.  That's why I started a lot of those threads.  When I look at the majors I spend a lot of time thinking flip candidates, improved draft pick, and needle in a haystack.  I realize our AAAA  players probably won't stick but looking at it that way keeps me sane.

Guys, to clarify, it isn't as much about the emotional investment as it is the time investment. We only have so much time to walk this planet. I've been watching 120+ Sox games, 50+ Hawks games and every Bears game since I was 13. I can't even begin to fathom all of the countless hours I've spent on message boards. I want to explore other things I can do with that time. I have other hobbies, such as fishing, amateur astronomy, and chess that I also love doing and I'm taking away from the enjoyment of those activities by watching men in costumes play a children's game. I'm not completely giving up on sports, but it is going to the bottom of my priority list.

If I have an opportunity to do those other things, I'm going to make that choice now. 19 years of making gameday the priority for my leisure time is enough. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Guys, to clarify, it isn't as much about the emotional investment as it is the time investment. We only have so much time to walk this planet. I've been watching 120+ Sox games, 50+ Hawks games and every Bears game since I was 13. I can't even begin to fathom all of the countless hours I've spent on message boards. I want to explore other things I can do with that time. I have other hobbies, such as fishing, amateur astronomy, and chess that I also love doing and I'm taking away from the enjoyment of those activities by watching men in costumes play a children's game. I'm not completely giving up on sports, but it is going to the bottom of my priority list.

If I have an opportunity to do those other things, I'm going to make that choice now. 19 years of making gameday the priority for my leisure time is enough. 

Go get 'em, friend. Be good.

I wish you all the best jack and should you decide to return we'll be here.

I know what you're going through. I've changed my approach to baseball. If I'm home and have nothing going on with wifey then I watch my favorite team play ball. But if I have other things to do then I do them and watch highlights when I have the chance. Chicago summers are too short to spend so much time in front of the idiot box so I try to get outdoors and live a little when I can.

Best of luck Jack! :)

Edited by BlackSox13
  • Like 1

I feel you dude.

This will be my last post until next spring or maybe winter meetings time.  I really lost it the other day as really about 10 years of frustration with the Sox (and all my teams really, it's been by far the worst decade of my fandom for UM, USMNT, Bulls and Sox) boiled over on the Kopech news.

Enjoy talking about the Sox guys, in general Soxtalk.com had a really great year IMO.  Place got some new blood, new design, and the FutureSox crew continues to expand their work. 

See everyone in spring (or winter)!

• Like 1

I think many could write the same post.  I use to make an annual post on why I don't care for the NFL anymore.  I didn't really watch a Sox game this year and didn't buy the MLB subscription.   This year I expanded my horizon watching the minors and I really enjoyed it.  I'm sad when baseball season is over. Lucky there is the Fall League. I can pretty much watch baseball in some form out here year round.

I think fans expect immediate results out of a rebuild.  That is more possible in the NBA and NFL but not MLB.   Not every team in MLB is lucky to get a Mike Trout type player.  

As for Kopech it is not the end of the world.  This is a guy who only performs every 5 days.  I remember when Frank Thomas would get hurt and that always dampered the season.

Edited by kitekrazy

If the Sox are not jinxed they might as well be. The past ten years have been rough. I always say I just want to see some good baseball and we had some for two weeks. The Sox really need a manager with his own personality and identity but the Sox don't want that. It is not a healthy org and they are in denial. They might make .500 next year with a little luck. 

Jack, I admire your honesty with yourself and with others.

And, while we are all inside the "fanatic bubble" of Sox fandom, I agree with you: Put all things/all interests in balance. Get into control, and stay in control of as much of your life as you can control.

Like you, whenever I catch myself taking too much time away from other, and/or more pressing matters, I force myself to avoid Soxtalk, Sox games, and the like.

Take care of yourself, and pursue happiness in life, no matter what, my friend. I wish you the best.

9 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

As my wife once told me when she became a bit irritated how much time I was spending with baseball games, it's just a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes, running around in dirt trying to hit a ball with a stick. 

I was actually thinking more about this after the Bears game last night. as I do from time to time, and listening to how pissed off OB and Hampton were after the game. Yeah it's great when they win. It's great when the Sox win, but in the end, it really isn't that important. If your overall happiness depends on these teams being successful, you're screwed.

I understand the gist of this post, but it isn't realistic. As men we enjoy our sports because we grow up loving our teams. It's a pride thing and gives us all something to bond over. There is nothing wrong with being attached like I told my SO's sister. She spends all her time watching the fake bachelor, Bachelorette, bachelor's in paradise, etc. Women have their TV shows and things they get attached to and talk about for weeks on end with friends. We have our sports. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Peace, 

Parkman

Good Luck, the journey of life and getting older is not for the timid. Meet the challenges head on and keep on keeping on.

Perspective and maturity come with age.  So does experience which as Hawk says, you get sometimes when you don't want to get it.

As to the Bear loss, suck it up, buttercups.  Aaron Rodgers is going to win some close games before he goes into the Hall of Fame, including against us. Bears have one more game with the Packers to exact revenge and bragging rights.  We will beat their azz next time, trust me on that.

The Kopech  news was rough, but let's face it, he probably will never be as good as Chris Sale.   Sale is a once in a generation talent, perhaps the best Sox pitcher  ever.  Kopech  is a muscle head who had a 50 game suspension for PED use.  He got into a fight with a teammate, possible as a result of roid rage. . His muscular frame and 100 mph fastball may not be sustainable over time even if we assume it will comes back after his TJ rehab.

The Sox need to hit on some major All Star talent at numerous positions before they compete for a championship....like most other major league teams. That may not happen again in you lifetime.  If you can't face that reality and enjoy watching baseball , well then maybe some other pastime would be time better spent for you.