Taking a hiatus at the end of the baseball season

Jack Parkman

Someone needs to take away my posting privileges when I am upset. Complete overreaction. I'm back, just cant see the forest for the trees sometimes. Has a lot to do with my autism. I'll explain later.

Ok now for the explanation: When autistic people are upset, anxious or stressed out in any way, it affects our ability to critically think. We tend to revert to black and white thinking, and get very rigid and stubborn. Once we're able to calm down a bit, then we realize how stupid we were. I'm going to try to refrain from posting while pissed going forward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I understand the gist of this post, but it isn't realistic. As men we enjoy our sports because we grow up loving our teams. It's a pride thing and gives us all something to bond over. There is nothing wrong with being attached like I told my SO's sister. She spends all her time watching the fake bachelor, Bachelorette, bachelor's in paradise, etc. Women have their TV shows and things they get attached to and talk about for weeks on end with friends. We have our sports. 

I don't agree. Yes, I am very happy when my teams win, but life doesn't change all that much if the Sox win the WS or are competing for the worst record in baseball. Don't get me wrong, I still care about the results. I still go to more games than most people, but it's not as big of a deal as it once was.  The guy I had season tickets with had an accident, hit his head and died. The company I worked for went bankrupt. I was lucky and got a job without missing a paycheck. I know others that almost 7 years later make a fraction of what they made and are really struggling. Those things are far worse than White Sox or Bulls or Bears or Hawkeyes losses. I'd like to think I have gained some perspective. Not a lot in reality, but some. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't agree. Yes, I am very happy when my teams win, but life doesn't change all that much if the Sox win the WS or are competing for the worst record in baseball. Don't get me wrong, I still care about the results. I still go to more games than most people, but it's not as big of a deal as it once was.  The guy I had season tickets with had an accident, hit his head and died. The company I worked for went bankrupt. I was lucky and got a job without missing a paycheck. I know others that almost 7 years later make a fraction of what they made and are really struggling. Those things are far worse than White Sox or Bulls or Bears or Hawkeyes losses. I'd like to think I have gained some perspective. Not a lot in reality, but some. 

I don't think anyone is saying sports comes first before life. I almost died in an accident last year so I get it. But sports are a great way for men to bond and pass on to their children. Sports takes us away from the harsh realities of life. Sports brings people together in other parts of the country. I was in Florida watching a Sox game at a Sox bar and it was cool to meet other fans and share stories. Again, sports aren't a substitute for life, but they do a great job enhancing it. 

• Like 1

I'll never take a hiatus from baseball. I took one from paying for it on TV but that's all. Besides I got Roku now and I'm liking the MLB channel where I can name my fav team and then watch all the in game highlights that you find on gameday only with less commercials on Roku and a whole lot of highlights from Statcast, interviews  and whatnot, on a bigger screen then my computer while also being able to watch the free game of the day.

Now I'm hoping that the MLB.TV package for one team drops in price from $89.99 . Still seems a little high when you consider all the different ways for people to watch now on devices like roku, amazon etc.  Seems like MLB will be raking in money with all the new ways to watch games. Once those kind of services because the norm  satellite and cable are going to have to make major programming changes or become dinosaurs.

Watched an interview with Palka on a segment called The Edward Jones Batting Cage where they had people either write in questions for him or actually get on screen and ask them and I know one of them on screen was a soxtalk guy. MySoxSummer and one who wrote in maybe was too ,whitesoxjon  .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I feel ya on this like everyone said you learn not to live and die with the team when you grow up. I was an MLB.tv subscriber for ten years after the World Series (2006–2016) And just couldn’t pony up anymore. I got married, had a kid, and quite frankly the team hasn’t given me a reason to want to tune in every game like I did in my 20s (I was 19 when we won the World Series). I still catch highlights, lurk on this board and follow the MLB in general online and cannot wait to watch games with my son when he’s old enough to appreciate and understand it. But the days of watching every game have passed me by for now at this point in my life...

2007 was probably one of my favorite seasons and it was terrible. Darin Estrad “it drops behind him!” losing a pop up in the lights @ Angels is one of my favorite bad plays. Bad baseball can be fun to enjoy for different reasons, but I just don’t have the time for it right now. 

Edited by claydude14
Typos

I'm sticking around. Last weekend was really brutal as a fan between Kopech and the Bears collapse and had me questioning why I even care about sports. I just decided that I would make other choices when I had the opportunity to, but I'm still gonna pay attention. I haven't been posting as much, I'll still be around but if I can do other things I enjoy, I wont hesitate to go do that. Mods, can you close this thread?

Thanks, Parkman

I know he wanted this post closed but I think this needs to be said. Sports is a good release for our hectic lives. When things don’t go right, it can get frustrating. What people need to understand is that what is going on with the White Sox will not get fixed right away. If you are expecting big improvements next year then maybe taking off a year is worth it. 

I hear how the rebuild is a failure, etc. those people saying that have no clue what is going on or just want to vent and complain to make themselves feel better. Unfortunately, I have resorted to do the same thing. It is frustrating as a fan to see people act like that. I want the White Sox to win so badly. The greatest moment for me obviously was 2005. Even then, I was frustrated with fans who complained about the Carlos lee trade. Thankfully they came through. I am dealing with the same kind of frustration from fans now.

What frustrates me is why fans don’t understand or don’t care. We are finishing year 2 of the rebuild and only have Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, and Rodon as core pieces of the team and yet fans expect this team to win now. Where does that come from? I love a Cinderella story just like anybody else but to think otherwise is just wishful thinking. Rebuilds come in many stages. Yes, we got many prospects from all the trades. Are they all up here? Us, losing, is also a part of the rebuild. The 4th pick, plus where we pick after this year, is all important to the cause. I laugh at the fans that want to beat teams just because they hate them, when doing so, negatively affects the team. I think this years draft will be more important than ever. 

Name me 1 rebuild that took less than 2 years when the entire team was gutted. I can’t wait for the rest of the guys to come up. Free agents will also be important. But they are not here yet. Too judge a rebuild now, is just plain dumb. Your crazy if you think next year will be much better. It will be at least 2020 before we see the results. 

Some say fans will become frustrated with the continued losing. Why? I feel very good about the future. I went to 2 games this year. Not a lot but considering I haven’t gone in 3 years, it’s a start. I see the plan. I see the coming players and feel confident, we’ll be good. I can’t wait till 2020. Losing Kopech, is frustrating but he’s only 1 person. We have much more in the minors. We were not ready to win yet so having it happen now, is the best thing. In 2 years if things have not dramatically changed, I will be very upset and voice my displeasure. Now is not that time. I am happy with how things are going. Hopefully, we lose the rest of our games and I’ll be happier.

So if you are concerned about winning then taking off next year may be the best thing to do. It’s not going to happen. I’m going to keep enjoying the continued growth from our minors and hope that who we draft and sign the next couple years will perfectly compliment what we already have. Until then, I like what I see and those that can’t, are choosing to do so. There is nothing that is happening that wasn’t supposed too so if you don’t like it, take time off and come back in 2020. If we’re not winning, will be taking time off too. But I don’t see that happening. Go Sox

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Drwhoo1 said:

I know he wanted this post closed but I think this needs to be said. Sports is a good release for our hectic lives. When things don’t go right, it can get frustrating. What people need to understand is that what is going on with the White Sox will not get fixed right away. If you are expecting big improvements next year then maybe taking off a year is worth it. 

I hear how the rebuild is a failure, etc. those people saying that have no clue what is going on or just want to vent and complain to make themselves feel better. Unfortunately, I have resorted to do the same thing. It is frustrating as a fan to see people act like that. I want the White Sox to win so badly. The greatest moment for me obviously was 2005. Even then, I was frustrated with fans who complained about the Carlos lee trade. Thankfully they came through. I am dealing with the same kind of frustration from fans now.

What frustrates me is why fans don’t understand or don’t care. We are finishing year 2 of the rebuild and only have Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, and Rodon as core pieces of the team and yet fans expect this team to win now. Where does that come from? I love a Cinderella story just like anybody else but to think otherwise is just wishful thinking. Rebuilds come in many stages. Yes, we got many prospects from all the trades. Are they all up here? Us, losing, is also a part of the rebuild. The 4th pick, plus where we pick after this year, is all important to the cause. I laugh at the fans that want to beat teams just because they hate them, when doing so, negatively affects the team. I think this years draft will be more important than ever. 

Name me 1 rebuild that took less than 2 years when the entire team was gutted. I can’t wait for the rest of the guys to come up. Free agents will also be important. But they are not here yet. Too judge a rebuild now, is just plain dumb. Your crazy if you think next year will be much better. It will be at least 2020 before we see the results. 

Some say fans will become frustrated with the continued losing. Why? I feel very good about the future. I went to 2 games this year. Not a lot but considering I haven’t gone in 3 years, it’s a start. I see the plan. I see the coming players and feel confident, we’ll be good. I can’t wait till 2020. Losing Kopech, is frustrating but he’s only 1 person. We have much more in the minors. We were not ready to win yet so having it happen now, is the best thing. In 2 years if things have not dramatically changed, I will be very upset and voice my displeasure. Now is not that time. I am happy with how things are going. Hopefully, we lose the rest of our games and I’ll be happier.

So if you are concerned about winning then taking off next year may be the best thing to do. It’s not going to happen. I’m going to keep enjoying the continued growth from our minors and hope that who we draft and sign the next couple years will perfectly compliment what we already have. Until then, I like what I see and those that can’t, are choosing to do so. There is nothing that is happening that wasn’t supposed too so if you don’t like it, take time off and come back in 2020. If we’re not winning, will be taking time off too. But I don’t see that happening. Go Sox

Good post. But I think 2020 is more likely 2022.  I would add Anderson to the other 4 you named. But looking at those 5, they are all in some stage of year 2-3  and pretty much have been up and down this season. Rodon looked like a 1/2 starter  for a while but lately has struggled. Hopefully that is only fatigue after missing so much. Moncada and Anderson have been up and down and Gio and Lopez have short streaks of good and bad. I think it is reasonable to assume the next batch arriving in late 2019/2020 will also take a couple of years to adjust. I do think Eloy is the exception and will be a solid if not stud from Day 1. Then they have to trade and sign additionla talent. That can also be a good/bad situation.  Teams like Boston and New York have both success and failures with the additions they make to their young core. 

Finally they have to find a manger to put the pieces together. I think 2020 would be great to reach .500. But more importantly, it would be great going into 2021 that we have 6-7 young players in place and doing well. 

On 9/10/2018 at 10:20 AM, Dick Allen said:

As my wife once told me when she became a bit irritated how much time I was spending with baseball games, it's just a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes, running around in dirt trying to hit a ball with a stick. 

I was actually thinking more about this after the Bears game last night. as I do from time to time, and listening to how pissed off OB and Hampton were after the game. Yeah it's great when they win. It's great when the Sox win, but in the end, it really isn't that important. If your overall happiness depends on these teams being successful, you're screwed.

Here is the thing sports is a hobby don't allow it to take over your life and you'll be fine everything can be dissected in that way. My wife always gets annoyed Sunday when she wants to do something and football is on I say to her it's the same time every week. One day a couple of hours.

Meanwhile she can't miss like 3 stupid "reality" TV shows every week. Take sometime to yourself to enjoy your hobby eventhough others might find them silly. I was much more active earlier this year but honestly the faith I had in Hahn has been severely undermined by his shortsighted decisions this year. There is  no process.

So yeah I've sort of tuned out as well. Haven't watched a game in over a month no interest in watching a slow motion train wreck with no process in place to get us where we need to be afterwards. Partly is time but a bigger reason is like everything in life you'll find the time if there is a compelling reason to watch either via PVR your phone etc. Right now there are more reasons to tune out the Sox then tune in.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 11:15 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll never take a hiatus from baseball. I took one from paying for it on TV but that's all. Besides I got Roku now and I'm liking the MLB channel where I can name my fav team and then watch all the in game highlights that you find on gameday only with less commercials on Roku and a whole lot of highlights from Statcast, interviews  and whatnot, on a bigger screen then my computer while also being able to watch the free game of the day.

Now I'm hoping that the MLB.TV package for one team drops in price from $89.99 . Still seems a little high when you consider all the different ways for people to watch now on devices like roku, amazon etc.  Seems like MLB will be raking in money with all the new ways to watch games. Once those kind of services because the norm  satellite and cable are going to have to make major programming changes or become dinosaurs.

Watched an interview with Palka on a segment called The Edward Jones Batting Cage where they had people either write in questions for him or actually get on screen and ask them and I know one of them on screen was a soxtalk guy. MySoxSummer and one who wrote in maybe was too ,whitesoxjon  .

The great thing about baseball is it lends itself to radio. You can do other things with your headphones on. I quite often do work around the house and the yard while listening to games.

People talk about radio being a dying medium but it really isn't. It's great I listen and absorb so much information while doing monotonous jobs not just baseball but podcasts on house improvement, cars, technology, politics.

Even on my way to work I'll usually put on Mark Levin who I have on podcast. People have more free time then they think.

People who have to announce they are leaving are obviously quite needy and they almost never really leave. There was an Elton John song about a guy who was going to end it all except to stick around for the funeral and see what a ruckus he raised. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2018 at 7:55 AM, Sarava said:

I enjoy your posts, both here and on HF. I hope to see you sitck around, in whatever capacity works for you.

You know who I am on HF right? 

I know I can get pretty testy and BWC ish about football, but that is mostly because of the nature of football more than anything. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What is HF?  

Hockey's Future. It's an NHL wide board, with team specific forums and a main board where fanbases mingle. Sarava and I both post on the Blackhawks forum. BWC is is a shortened form of a handle of a poster who is overly negative about everything. He thinks that Hahn, Bowman, Pace and Forman are all massive jokes and are near the bottom of the barrel of GMs in each respective league. (Forman is the only one that has any basis in reality) He also has an irrational love of Cutler and thinks he a was a top 10 QB and he gives all blame for his failures to coaching and front office personnel. I joked that I want to keep BWC away from here, but  I think he might be Tom Longo. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hockey's Future. It's an NHL wide board, with team specific forums and a main board where fanbases mingle. Sarava and I both post on the Blackhawks forum. BWC is is a shortened form of a handle of a poster who is overly negative about everything. He thinks that Hahn, Bowman, Pace and Forman are all massive jokes and are near the bottom of the barrel of GMs in each respective league. (Forman is the only one that has any basis in reality) He also has an irrational love of Cutler and thinks he a was a top 10 QB and he gives all blame for his failures to coaching and front office personnel. I joked that I want to keep BWC away from here, but  I think he might be Tom Longo. 

Gotcha gotcha

On 9/25/2018 at 10:32 PM, Jack Parkman said:

You know who I am on HF right? 

I know I can get pretty testy and BWC ish about football, but that is mostly because of the nature of football more than anything. 

Yep. And yeah, the Bears is a testy subject right now. The team looks soooo good outside of Trubisky.