Garfein podcast, in depth with Callis

southsider2k5

Callis talking about trading Zack Collins to a team that thinks he's a catcher doesn't make me feel good about him.

It would be nice if they could figure out how to get Realmuto and then sign him long term. The Sox need a real catcher and it would be good if they could get him catching Giolito and Lopez next season.

The guy I was really excited to hear about was Madrigal.  Callis seems to think he could be a threat for a major league job by spring of 2020, and that his floor is that of a .280 hitter.  He also said that he wouldn't be surprised if he won a batting title.  Said he is going to be a 3 + tool guy.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The guy I was really excited to hear about was Madrigal.  Callis seems to think he could be a threat for a major league job by spring of 2020, and that his floor is that of a .280 hitter.  He also said that he wouldn't be surprised if he won a batting title.  Said he is going to be a 3 + tool guy.

Can't be. He hasn't hit a homer or triple in any minor league PA's yet!

40 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Green = sarcasm

I think the posters that expect him to hit 20 HR's a year or continuously rip on him for not being able to are foolish.

Sorry. Mine was supposed to be green as well. I must have not hit the correct button.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Green = sarcasm

I think the posters that expect him to hit 20 HR's a year or continuously rip on him for not being able to are foolish.

Madrigal's style of play is very refreshing in a baseball era that seems to be predicated on homeruns and strikeouts. To me, homeruns and strikeouts are fun (depending on which side of the coin you're on), but baseball is so much more than that.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:43 PM, bmags said:

I'll have to listen.

I am, to say the least, starting to worry.

Listening won't make you feel any better. I was ok with where they are even with all of the injuries before I listened to this podcast. It makes it hard to see them ever getting out of the hole with this group. It seems they might be in perpetual rebuild mode until further notice. A very deflating listen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Listening won't make you feel any better. I was ok with where they are even with all of the injuries before I listened to this podcast. It makes it hard to see them ever getting out of the hole with this group. It seems they might be in perpetual rebuild mode until further notice. A very deflating listen. 

I had the exact opposite impression.

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Sometimes you hear what you want to.........pessimist focuses on the setbacks.........optimist focuses on the successes.

Not really. I went into this listen still thinking that despite the setbacks, they had a good shot to pull this off. After this listen, I find it hard to see this rebuild being successful. It seems like best case scenario, they end up back where they were in 2016 with 5 really good players and nothing around them, and 78 wins. 

Its funny because in June I was feeling really good. Kopech was the worry, but Basabe was raking and had re-emerged as a prospect, Adolfo had shown 2017 wasn't a fluke ,Collins was hot, seby was moved to AAA, all of kanny and W-S was on fire.

And then injuries and fatigue just ravaged the system. And as we have seen with Hansen, injuries can't always just be written off as a delay. They can really be impactful.

I think seeing Kopech up and doing well, we felt pretty good about having four young starters for 2019.  Felt like add a fifth, Eloy, others improvement  and you could be a surprise team.  Losing Kopech just seemed to blow all that optimism up.