Tim Anderson "likes" tweet suggesting Sox need to fire hitting coaches

Jose Abreu

I still go back to when Abreu was struggling and he reached out to his former mentor and HE'S the one that got him on the right track...NOT Steverson.  And Steverson tried to jump on board to take make it seem he was privy all along.  pffffffffffffffft.   I'm not overly impressed with Steverson.  I honestly wish we would have hired Kevin Seitzer instead.

If people actually thought a hitting coach can take a bunch of hitters and put another 50 points on their OBP, they are nuts. It might work for a guy here or there, but collectively most pretty much are what they are.

We all look at advanced stats, projections and the like. They never seem to be hitting coach or pitching coach dependent. What the Sox need is to acquire hitters capable of higher OBP.

I do think Steverson's time might be coming to an end. It's not like he's had a ton of success getting the one or two guys looking legit, but the fact is, if his continued employment is to get low OB guys and make them high OB guys, he is being set up as the sacrificial lamb.

To be considered good coaches, at some point, they need to be coaching good players.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is this really a thing?  Especially with how easy it is to "like" something while scrolling through your feed?  Is there anything else here?

Seriously, if you were a public figure for a major company and you "liked" a tweet criticizing your superior or their corporate strategy, don't you think someone is going to ask you about that?

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seriously, if you were a public figure for a major company and you "liked" a tweet criticizing your superior or their corporate strategy, don't you think someone is going to ask you about that?

Probably, and it could be one of two things.  Either he did it accidentally or it means something.  If it is something, I would imagine there is anything more here than a liked tweet.  Seems reasonable to me.  I know it isn't fire and brimstone enough for most though.

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If people actually thought a hitting coach can take a bunch of hitters and put another 50 points on their OBP, they are nuts. It might work for a guy here or there, but collectively most pretty much are what they are.

We all look at advanced stats, projections and the like. They never seem to be hitting coach or pitching coach dependent. What the Sox need is to acquire hitters capable of higher OBP.

I do think Steverson's time might be coming to an end. It's not like he's had a ton of success getting the one or two guys looking legit, but the fact is, if his continued employment is to get low OB guys and make them high OB guys, he is being set up as the sacrificial lamb.

To be considered good coaches, at some point, they need to be coaching good players.

I've given up the thought of a hitting coach makes a difference. Dusty Baker use to go through a lot of them.   It's a swing for the fences mentality with younger players. There's no situational hitting.  It's all about individual accomplishments.   Bunting is not glamorous but some made a career out of it.  

• Like 1

In this day and age I'm not sure why teams don't have 2,3,4 hitting coaches. Is there a limit imposed by MLB? Because the way I look at it, you're spending over a HUNDRED million dollars on payroll (in most cases) -- so what does adding a hitting or pitching coach at like $250k? (no idea what they make, but guessing it's not much) mean?

I'd rather have Tim Anderson and other players take in advice from multiple sources and then hone in with the one they find most helpful. Yes there is a case of too many voices, but not sure why you can't have more than one philosophy out there.