The Dylan Covey Experiment

ron883

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

I think it is time to end the Dylan Covey Experiment this offseason. Aside from some early starts this year, the dude has been hot garbage. Im not sure he is even good enough to be a reliever. Does he get a shot next year or is it ova?

With Kopech out, I think he is almost a shoe-in to at least start the season as a starter. If it doesn't pan out he probably goes to the pen as a long reliever and spot starter.

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
1st PA in G, as SP 18 162 142 17 30 2 0 5 0 0 18 31 1.72 .211 .300 .331 .631 47 4 0 2 0 0 4 .236 68 82
1st PA in G, as RP 6 42 40 2 9 0 0 1 0 0 2 7 3.50 .225 .262 .300 .562 12 0 0 0 0 0 0 .250 49

Stats per baseball reference.com  

To me it clearly indicates he has a role on the team.  He needs to be the long reliever.  I looked and a six game sample size is obviously small but when you add in first time thru the order as a reliever, I think it is a lot more valid.  OPS for second time jumps to .864 as starter and .750 relieving.  He looks like a guy who can go two or three innings and be very useful.  We may need two longer reliever types depending how we fill 4-5 starter roles.  I agree with you he should not start.

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He along with a number of other guys on the 40 man roster need to be sent as far away from the organization as possible.

I would give them 1 more year. It's not until 2020 that many of the prospect will need room in the MLB. Until then, why spend the money on someone else? 

So I will repeat, he looks like he will work in relief.  For those that don't like wadding thru the numbers I found above, the results against him are very much like him pitching to Adam Engel for every at bat.  So one time thru lineup would be like pitching to Engel nine times.  

22 hours ago, Scoots said:

With Kopech out, I think he is almost a shoe-in to at least start the season as a starter. If it doesn't pan out he probably goes to the pen as a long reliever and spot starter.

This is the post I agree with most so far. With Kopech out next year and Shields a FA, I don't see us signing 2 starters next year. I also don't see guys like Guerrero or Stephens beating Covey out.

As of today, I think Covey is in. Who knows maybe he can rediscover what made him great in the first half.