Fall Instructs Preview - 42 prospects in fall ball, and why

NorthSideSox72

We already discussed the AFL, but the "other" fall league starts sooner and instead of 6 Sox prospects, there are 42 in this other one. Here is our preview of Instructs for this year, including the full roster and schedule, a look at why certain types of players are there, and what's different versus last year in the approach by the team.

That is a fairly strange list.

Instructionals has felt like the place where they hype trains actually start for prospects, so it's weird they are being scaled back since it seems to have been informative from a fan level.

I expect we should finally hear some hype on some of their 2016 intl class here, and hopefully someone asks Luis Gonzalez why he's there (maybe he's going to spend offyear in AZ and sox asked if he wanted to participate?)

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Refresh my memory if I am wrong, but players aren't actually being paid to be in the instructionals, right?  Could that be a factor as to how many go and don't go?

That is correct, and that is certainly possible. It might explain why many lower round picks - who only got like $5k bonuses - were less present on the roster.