New Owner

WBWSF

Most miserable fan bases in pro sports (ESPN)

7. Chicago White Sox, 19.88

chw.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueAs a White Sox fan, you're always overshadowed by your neighbor on the North Side of town. But for 11 years, you had the bragging rights, as the White Sox won the 2005 World Series while the Cubs were scuffling through a century-plus drought. But with the Cubs getting over the hump and winning in 2016, things got that much worse for the South Siders.

But even excluding the Cubs factor, it is not altogether pleasant to be a White Sox fan. The White Sox haven't made the playoffs since 2010 and have made the postseason only nine times in 114 seasons. And since they are in the midst of a massive rebuild, it doesn't look as though the White Sox will hit double digits for a while. But hey, at least Sox fans can enjoy "Eight Men Out."

Can't even get that right, it was 2008, lol...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24367000/the-top-25-most-miserable-fan-bases-professional-sports

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, Eminor3rd said:

It’s almost as if there’s more to that job than we fans can see. 

There absolutely is. There is success on the field which the fans only care about. There is success in the balance sheet which a very few in the FO care about. That does not mean that the owner does not care about winning. The question is how much does the owner care about winning. 

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Most miserable fan bases in pro sports (ESPN)

7. Chicago White Sox, 19.88

chw.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueAs a White Sox fan, you're always overshadowed by your neighbor on the North Side of town. But for 11 years, you had the bragging rights, as the White Sox won the 2005 World Series while the Cubs were scuffling through a century-plus drought. But with the Cubs getting over the hump and winning in 2016, things got that much worse for the South Siders.

But even excluding the Cubs factor, it is not altogether pleasant to be a White Sox fan. The White Sox haven't made the playoffs since 2010 and have made the postseason only nine times in 114 seasons. And since they are in the midst of a massive rebuild, it doesn't look as though the White Sox will hit double digits for a while. But hey, at least Sox fans can enjoy "Eight Men Out."

Can't even get that right, it was 2008, lol...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24367000/the-top-25-most-miserable-fan-bases-professional-sports

It would simply be asking too much of the "world-wide leader in sports" to fact check their work.

On 9/26/2018 at 4:36 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

It's funny how people will blindly support billionaire owners who care about nothing more than their net worth and team value increasing every year, while being so quick to scream "DFA that bum" at the 25th man on the roster, trying his hardest to play well and make a living. 

I mean if he got DFA'ed he would still get his money and then another player that wasn't on the roster would also get more money

On 9/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, bmags said:

While I am not a Moncada hater, it is hard to see how this team will be an elite contender if Moncada does not become an elite piece alongside Jimenez. Otherwise we need a prospect soon to blast through the doors, not just look like potential backend top 100 players. 

Exactly this.

I HATED them stupidly bringing Moncada up last season, because he clearly was in no way ready. He had severe swing & miss issues that were never addressed, severe handedness deficiencies in a so-called "switch" hitter, and questionable concentration on defense. [I also questioned his maturity vis a vis the custom car buying binge and twinkie diet, but others may disagree. YMMV.]

What's worse, is that now, its hard to even squint and see any improvement in his game. His K%, BB%, and wrc+ are all worse than in 2017. Despite his BABIP being UP some 15 points, his OBP is DOWN 27 points. He's near the bottom of qualifiers among 2B in MLB in WAR and DRS, with negative trends in both, when compared to 2017. [Well, his fWAR is up this year, but he's played in nearly 100 more games.] 

To top it all off, I don't have any idea how this coaching staff will help him improve in any way. I just don't think Steverson and Renteria and the rest are good enough at their jobs. I too am not a Moncada "hater," so much as I HATE and despise how this stupid FO utterly bungled the development of this crucial piece of the rebuild hereto fore. I am also NOT calling him a bust by any means, but the trends are not looking promising for him.

Setting aside his "garbage time heroics" in the past few weeks, something's gotta "click" for him going forward, or I'm in agreement with you:

Some other prospect will have to "come out of nowhere," and surprise us, or this rebuild may be significantly jeopardized, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On 9/19/2018 at 9:42 AM, WBWSF said:

Sometime, somewhere, someday the White Sox will have a new owner. I wish it was sooner rather than later.  I read recently where Theo Epstein wants to own a baseball team. He has been very successful running both Boston and the Bad Guys on the Northside. Owning a baseball team is on his bucket list.  Wouldn't it be something if he bought the White Sox? I don't think any White Sox fan would object to his owning the team.

A sentiment certainly underscored and accentuated now on the heels of a 100 loss season, no doubt.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

A sentiment certainly underscored and accentuated now on the heels of a 100 loss season, no doubt.  

Doesn’t make it any better of a take. Most GMs would do exactly what RH did by blowing the team up.  

Edited by AustinIllini

On 9/26/2018 at 4:36 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

It's funny how people will blindly support billionaire owners who care about nothing more than their net worth and team value increasing every year, while being so quick to scream "DFA that bum" at the 25th man on the roster, trying his hardest to play well and make a living. 

Okay guys, this is getting silly.  It’s well documented that the White Sox are a passion project for JR.  He hated to rebuild as much as anyone. 

57 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Doesn’t make it any better of a take. Most GMs would do exactly what RH did by blowing the team up.  

You're probably right. Most GMs would have blown the team up. I would like to think they would have been more successful at the results than what has happened under Hahn. The team just suffered a 100 loss season. It looks like more 100 loss seasons are on the horizon.

Edited by WBWSF
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

You're probably right. Most GMs would have blown the team up. I would like to think they would have been more successful at the results than what has happened under Hahn. The team just suffered a 100 loss season. It looks like more 100 loss seasons are on the horizon.

Give me one example of a better team in the 2nd year of a full rebuild.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Give me one example of a MLB GM who hasn't had a winning season in 6 years who still has a GM job? Footlongcomiskey started a post a few weeks back about how this rebuild is a epic failure.  He listed  most of the moves made by Hahn. You could get into a serious discussion on this site  as to what were Hahns worse moves. His drafts, trades  or free agent signings. He has missed on most of his moves. No GM is going to hit on every move but Hahn has missed on the majority of his moves. His contract runs out after the 2019 season. I figure another 100 loss  2019 season should finally see him out the door as the GM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Give me one example of a MLB GM who hasn't had a winning season in 6 years who still has a GM job? Footlongcomiskey started a post a few weeks back about how this rebuild is a epic failure.  He listed  most of the moves made by Hahn. You could get into a serious discussion on this site  as to what were Hahns worse moves. His drafts, trades  or free agent signings. He has missed on most of his moves. No GM is going to hit on every move but Hahn has missed on the majority of his moves. His contract runs out after the 2019 season. I figure another 100 loss  2019 season should finally see him out the door as the GM.

Nice redirect.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

The rebuild is in year two. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I looked at only one team and I found what you are looking for--Atlanta Braves.

YR 1 --95  losses

YR 2 --93  losses

YR 3 --90  losses

YR 4 --Division Champs

White Sox:

YR 1 --95 losses

YR 2 --100 losses

YR 3 --  ?

YR 4 --Division Champs?

Interestingly, both teams had similar records in the year prior to their  teardowns:  Atlanta was 79-83 and the Sox were 78-84.

Atlanta fired their manager after a 9-28 start in YR 2 of the rebuild.  They fired their GM the year prior to the start of the rebuild.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I looked at only one team and I found what you are looking for--Atlanta Braves.

YR 1 --95  losses

YR 2 --93  losses

YR 3 --90  losses

YR 4 --Division Champs

White Sox:

YR 1 --95 losses

YR 2 --100 losses

YR 3 --  ?

YR 4 --Division Champs?

Interestingly, both teams had similar records in the year prior to their  teardowns:  Atlanta was 79-83 and the Sox were 78-84.

Atlanta fired their manager after a 9-28 start in YR 2 of the rebuild.  They fired their GM the year prior to the start of the rebuild.

with still 93 losses.  While correct, I am pretty sure 93 losses wouldn't have made a big difference to the more impatient crowd.  Also worth noting is that their GM got fired for being a criminal.

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

with still 93 losses.  While correct, I am pretty sure 93 losses wouldn't have made a big difference to the more impatient crowd.  Also worth noting is that their GM got fired for being a criminal.

Also worth noting, the Braves didn't have Sale, Q and Eaton to move. 

I would imagine if the Cubs, Astros, Braves...whichever rebuild we want to compare and determine time-wise, this will go the exact same way with the exact same result, their timelines would have been bumped up if they acquired 8 or 9 prospects a few elite for some on their roster.

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Also worth noting, the Braves didn't have Sale, Q and Eaton to move. 

I would imagine if the Cubs, Astros, Braves...whichever rebuild we want to compare and determine time-wise, this will go the exact same way with the exact same result, their timelines would have been bumped up if they acquired 8 or 9 prospects a few elite for some on their roster.

No, but they had Jason Heyward, Justin Upton, Evan Gattis, Craig Kimbrel, Alex Wood, Andrelton Simmons and others.

5 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I was referring to Frank Wren, not his successor, John Coppolella.

Nothing can be done now but hope and pray, but the big difference in the successful rebuilds and the Sox current attemp,  were changes to the regimes that put them in the spot that required one.