MiLB: Top 200 Power Rankings 2018

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

This is from MLB Trade Rumors who use Roster Resource. https://www.rosterresource.com/milb-power-rankings/

This is based on performance only in several weighted categories . no upside involved. The explanation at the top of the chart explains it all.

Sox players are #13 Eloy Jimenez, #17 Michael Kopech, #25 Dylan Cease, #96 Luis Gonzalez, #139 Blake Rutherford

Tampa Bay had 10, Oakland 8, SD 10, Toronto 14, I didn't count every team and I don't know if there's a place to find it broken down by team.

I didn't intend this when I found this but are we over ranking our prospects based on upside ? I know a lot of injuries and made guys like Dunning and Hansen who were high on this list last year disappear from this years . Of course there are also others who might've been ranked somewhere if not for injuries also.

Last year had 11. Kopech,  14 Hansen, 64. Dunning, 158. Eloy

At some point don't we need to see numbers  to feel better about prospects ability to be major leaguers  ?

The only other Sox i could find in the top 200-300 were Mendick, Rivera and Sheets based on weighted performance again.

Here's the list of all the rosters with all players  . You can find if they were ranked just by looking at each roster . I don't know how high the ranking went but you can see some guys in the 700 range. https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-white-sox

Pretty useful tool though.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
added a link

Roster rankings with literally no weight for upside are pretty much useless to me. I understand that upside may be overrated in regular rankings but it still matters a lot. I'd take Luis Robert and his ceiling over the vast majority of those guys.

Edited by Jose Abreu

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Roster rankings with literally no weight for upside are pretty much useless to me. I understand that upside may be overrated in regular rankings but it still matters a lot. I'd take Luis Robert and his ceiling over the vast majority of those guys.

But upside is useless if they don't start showing that upside with performance.

Apparently there is a decently strong correlation between stats in the upper minors (think AA and AAA) and major league performance, but there is almost no relation between performance at the lower levels and at the majors. This makes sense and kind of fits with the general narrative that AA is really the make-or-break level. So when taking into account only performance, we will probably look worse because so many of our high level guys are still in the low minors where stats matter less. 

Also, do they take into account league factors because any hitters in the PCL or Appy League are going to look a lot better than their tools actually are if they don't.