Kopech had TJS on September 18th

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm still literally sick to my stomach over this even happened.  Can this team catch a friggin break once in a while?  The only silver lining with this for me is when I look at Dylan Cease.

Edited by Wanne
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Special K said:

Without knowing a ton about TJ surgeries, can we expect him to come back with full arm strength and velocity and even less injury prone?  Stephen Strasburg seems to be in pretty good shape.  

Almost everyone comes back from TJ in at least the same shape they were previously in.  There are a small amount that have issues afterwards or aren't able to get back to their previous form, but in general, full recovery is the expectation.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Almost everyone comes back from TJ in at least the same shape they were previously in.  There are a small amount that have issues afterwards or aren't able to get back to their previous form, but in general, full recovery is the expectation.

Then with the understanding that most pitchers eventually undergo Tommy John, it may not be the worst thing in the world that Koepch is getting it over with now.  Sucks we lose a year to him as far as service time and, more importantly, development, but on the flip side we likely weren't going to be competing next year anyways.  Let's get him back and strong and be ready to play .500 baseball or better in 2020.

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Then with the understanding that most pitchers eventually undergo Tommy John, it may not be the worst thing in the world that Koepch is getting it over with now.  Sucks we lose a year to him as far as service time and, more importantly, development, but on the flip side we likely weren't going to be competing next year anyways.  Let's get him back and strong and be ready to play .500 baseball or better in 2020.

The statistical real danger isn't in having a single TJS.  Now that changes completely if a pitcher has to have a second one.  They almost never come back the same, if they come back at all.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The statistical real danger isn't in having a single TJS.  Now that changes completely if a pitcher has to have a second one.  They almost never come back the same, if they come back at all.

He's in incredible shape, so I imagine he'll do everything he can to stay healthy.  Let's just hope team manages him well.  

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

He's in incredible shape, so I imagine he'll do everything he can to stay healthy.  Let's just hope team manages him well.  

For this specific injury it isn't about being in shape or not.  The pitches he throws and how he throws them is 100% the biggest factor as to the future health of his UCL.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:38 AM, Special K said:

Without knowing a ton about TJ surgeries, can we expect him to come back with full arm strength and velocity and even less injury prone?  Stephen Strasburg seems to be in pretty good shape.  

All of these are true except the less likely to have an injury. The research shows 85% return to same level of function and competition. Its not common to reinjre the elbow but it happens.

Edited by ptatc

On 9/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, Special K said:

Most pitchers do not have UCL reconstruction. Its still less than 10% but it is rising each year over the past few.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, southsider2k5 said:

For this specific injury it isn't about being in shape or not.  The pitches he throws and how he throws them is 100% the biggest factor as to the future health of his UCL.

I was thinking about this the other day. He did start throwing the curveball again earlier in the year. I wonder if that had something to potential cause this to fully come around. I know that pitch generally is supposed to be hard on the arm, so I wonder if he'll continue throwing it once he comes back.

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I was thinking about this the other day. He did start throwing the curveball again earlier in the year. I wonder if that had something to potential cause this to fully come around. I know that pitch generally is supposed to be hard on the arm, so I wonder if he'll continue throwing it once he comes back.

I have always been under the impression that as long as your follow thru is good,  the curve is supposed to be better than the slider on your arm.

15 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So would the arm slot just be the aspect of it that hurts the arm?