Actual Values vs Party Values

Y2HH

7 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I think the old cliche of missing the forest for the trees is very appropriate this last decade, and now more than ever.

A bunch of Americans are getting really really really mad at the trees that don’t matter.  These people would happily burn down the forest to save their tree.  In fact, people are now being elected to Congress like Cortez who will literally take your rights at gunpoint (burn down the forest), but it is okay because people like her talk about that fucking tree that is so important to you.  

Such as voting rights vs Warren's ancestors. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

When have government stormtroopers ever come in and confiscated legally~owned firearms?

On the other hand, There's a much higher probability of abortion rights being severely curtailed when a minority of citizens even believe in organized religion anymore.  Why doesn't the GoP also fund stable homes and a higher quality education for all those unwanted children, if they're so concered about the sanctity of life?  

Besides. you would think they would PREFER fewer (future) kids in America who will likely be voting against them...

If you are replying to me I have no idea what you are talking about.  I didn’t mention storm troopers coming to take guns anywhere.  

I was referring to Cortez coming to take your money at gunpoint.  

I still don't really understand people not liking "Hollywood Elite". If they have different views from you, fine, but most of those people come from middle class families and worked their butt off to get where they are. To say they don't understand where "we" are coming from doesn't register to me.

Cortez's big things are stuff like universal healthcare. Not sure that's missing the forest for the trees. And it's no different from "coming to take your money at gunpoint" for any other activity the government does, such as running detention centers for children they separate from their parents or supporting Saudi bombing in Yemen.

13 hours ago, raBBit said:

In before someone ignores the 7 things we agree on to focus on on thing we disagree on aha

Rabbit, in terms of your position on what Y2HH wrote, I really don't disagree with you on anything other than the UHC part.  

Free speech is important. To the nth degree. The difference in opinion is that from my point of view, the things that you claim the "far left" shoot down as hate speech, what have you, are things that some believe are tenets of basic human decency and are non-negotiable. We, as a species, should be able to look past racial, ethnic, religious grouping and judge people for their humanity. That is where the disconnect lies. The disconnect comes from what are and aren't rights. Some people think there should be no right to have a decent paying job, I do think that should be a right.  

Do you want to know how Canada pays for their healthcare system? They have a massive sin tax on consumable items that have known health risks. This isn't rocket science. If you want to consume things that are bad for you, that is your choice but you're going to pay more into the system. A 24 pack of Budweiser is $50 CAD. A 12 pack of Coke is $10 CAD. Things that are bad for you, cost more money. 

I do think that the US is approaching being ungovernable due to size of the country. This is a really hard thing to accept, but I do think that it is next to impossible to govern a country like the US in an efficient manner democratically. The system just breaks down when it gets this big. The bigger everything gets the harder it is to run properly. I think a better model would be breaking the country into 4-6 independent countries that band together similarly to the EU. Open borders, people are free to come and go, but financially and economically independent. It is really hard to run a country with over 300 M people efficiently without devolving into oppressive authoritarianism.  There is a reason that the founders of this country tried the Articles of Confederation first before the Constitution. 

Edited by Jack Parkman