Sox vs. Cubs 9/23/18

Insp

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep his stuff just isn't special anymore.  If you can get a huge package for him this offseason, see ya

I don’t think Rodon is showing anything different then the other pitchers. Plus if he is so disappointing why would we get a huge return for him?

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

I don’t think Rodon is showing anything different then the other pitchers. Plus if he is so disappointing why would we get a huge return for him?

His strikeout rate is embarrassing this season. Maybe it's about time our pitching coach stresses strikeouts in this new era of baseball.

Mark Buehrle was able to get away with only a very few strikeouts per game because he had much better fielders to work with and he was a very good fielder to begin with.  The Sox need to prioritize defense over offense and to get good defensive pitchers.

3 minutes ago, Insp said:

Mark Buehrle was able to get away with only a very few strikeouts per game because he had much better fielders to work with and he was a very good fielder to begin with.  The Sox need to prioritize defense over offense and to get good defensive pitchers.

Damn finally something I totally agree with you

10 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Rodon is coming off of shoulder surgery and building up his innings so I'm not surprised by his struggles. Next year is another development year so let's see how Rodon pitches over the course of the 2019 season before determining his fate.

He's been like this every year of his career. He has that knock everyone out slider when its on, and a good fastball to go with. When he gets into a groove and both pitches are working, he goes into a stretch of utter dominance. Then, he'll follow that up with a stretch of wildness and inconsistency with his pitches, and he'll give up 4-5 runs in short stints over several games. Part of this comes from the limited selection of good pitches he has, when one pitch isn't there, he's a 1-pitch pitcher. He reminds me of a left handed version of Edwin Jackson - great pitches, but limited selection of them, and only wins when they'er both on.

He had some games back in August where he didn't have good stuff and still worked his way through it, but it seems like there might just have been some luck in that. 

Either he has to figure out how to win when he doesn't have good stuff by stranding some runners and getting balls on the ground/well timed strikeouts, or he has to have his best stuff more often. 

I could have written this post about him in 2015, 2016, 2017, and now 2018. I'm pretty sure I did each time.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's been like this every year of his career. He has that knock everyone out slider when its on, and a good fastball to go with. When he gets into a groove and both pitches are working, he goes into a stretch of utter dominance. Then, he'll follow that up with a stretch of wildness and inconsistency with his pitches, and he'll give up 4-5 runs in short stints over several games. Part of this comes from the limited selection of good pitches he has, when one pitch isn't there, he's a 1-pitch pitcher. He reminds me of a left handed version of Edwin Jackson - great pitches, but limited selection of them, and only wins when they'er both on.

He had some games back in August where he didn't have good stuff and still worked his way through it, but it seems like there might just have been some luck in that. 

Either he has to figure out how to win when he doesn't have good stuff by stranding some runners and getting balls on the ground/well timed strikeouts, or he has to have his best stuff more often. 

I could have written this post about him in 2015, 2016, 2017, and now 2018. I'm pretty sure I did each time.

Perfectly said, and with his velocity down a bit due to the surgery, it's had a huge impact on his strikeout rate.