The Hawk Harrelson tribute thread

southsider2k5

I thought his retirement was handled very well by the White Sox this year. I remember when Bob Elson was not renewed after the 1970 season. The White Sox didn't give him anything resembling a thank you after being the radio voice of the team forever.

1 hour ago, zenryan said:

Watched the final inning on MLB Network. Definitely sad listening to the final inning. Also a little weird knowing this is the end. 

My feelings exactly. I was thinking how glad I was they did this gradually the last couple of years, instead of having him go from a full season to nothing. I am more prepared. I am going to miss him. It’s probably time, but I just wish he could have gone out with a better team.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Love 1

I started with Harry doing Sox games (and Mary Frances Veeck and Friend) listening to a transistor radio picking up WMAQ in Springfield.  On west coast swings, I listened under the covers hoping my mom didn't make me turn it off.  There was a connection because my dad grew up listening  to Harry do Cardinal games.  In Alabama now, my son has grown up to be a Sox fan because his dad was.  He knows the Hawkisms but it is a little different now days just due to all the media people can listen to.  It is sad because announcers are more and more vanilla.  He was a homer, he could go nuts, he could ramble but make no mistake...he was ours!  Thanks Hawk.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I was a hater towards the end, but I got way more emotional than I thought I would. I've spent literally thousands of hours of my life listening to him. 

Yep probably the most notorious member of the Sox organization for almost all of us

Edited by fathom

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

My feelings exactly. I was thinking how glad I was they did this gradually the last couple of years, instead of having him go from a full season to nothing. I am more prepared. I am going to miss him. It’s probably time, but I just wish he could have gone out with a better team.

Or just have won this game.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is the place to give your goodbyes to the Hawk. Let's hear the memories,  tributes and general thoughts on the end of an era.

Finally,  no trolling this thread. This is positive only, so keep your hate for somewhere else. 

JOE CREDE!!!! Yes!!!

Hawk a true legend and easily one of the first things I think of when I think about my life to date as a Sox fan. He was there with you for all the great moments and unfortunately all the crappy losses too.  Especially the last decade or so.  Man its been a rough go...I really hope the franchise can get things turned around.  

I remember being a little kid jumping on my parents bed watching Hawk & Wimpy call games.  Hawk narrated the summers of my childhood and I appreciate him for that.  Although it's his time to move on and I've been ready for the next voice to permanently take over, this moment is still bittersweet.  Thanks for everything Hawk! 

• Like 1

Very sad to see the end of an era. It was tough watching Hawk fall apart, especially after they came back from break for the final time. I'm grateful the organization had the foresight to ease fans into the new guy over the past two (three?) seasons. It will still be very weird to not hear the voice I grew up with call games. Glad I was able to tune in to hear him call one last winner on Friday. Thanks for the memories. 

17 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Very sad to see the end of an era. It was tough watching Hawk fall apart, especially after they came back from break for the final time. I'm grateful the organization had the foresight to ease fans into the new guy over the past two (three?) seasons. It will still be very weird to not hear the voice I grew up with call games. Glad I was able to tune in to hear him call one last winner on Friday. Thanks for the memories. 

This.  

It just feels weird that it's over.  I don't know what I expected to happen but He waved at the screen, said his final words...and that's it.  I agree he got a little crazy the last few years but nobody can match the passion that he had for his team nowadays.