Kannapolis: new park, new owners, PDC expiring

NorthSideSox72

Lots going on with the Intimidators, seemed thread-worthy.

They've got a new ballpark coming for Opening Day 2020, the city just approved the overall plan for it. Here is detailed info.

The team is being sold - again. They were sold just a couple years ago too. This time to Temerity Group. They are hoping to finalize and get approvals by mid-October. Which is related too...

The PDC between the White Sox and Intimidators expires this year. It has not yet been extended. There are only two Class A affiliates left open - Kane County (was with Arizona this year), and Kannapolis (White Sox). The Sox probably want to extend with Kanny given the NC proximity thing and the new park coming, but it's not impossible the D-Backs make a better offer. Also, this means it is possible (though I'd say unlikely) that the Sox could have their A-ball team in Kane County!

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The White Sox have said many times they really like have their MiLB teams in close proximity to each other.  Unless something goes really wrong in Kannapolis, they will be there again.

I'm pretty sure that is their preference. But it's not just about their preference - Arizona may want it too, and then the Intimidators get to pick their suitor.

Kane County is the furthest east affiliate Arizona has. They have a Short Season A team in the Northwest League and a High-A team in the California League. I can't imagine the Diamondbacks preferring Kannapolis unless they don't like the working relationship with Kane County.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, NorthSideSox72 said:

Lots going on with the Intimidators, seemed thread-worthy.

They've got a new ballpark coming for Opening Day 2020, the city just approved the overall plan for it. Here is detailed info.

The team is being sold - again. They were sold just a couple years ago too. This time to Temerity Group. They are hoping to finalize and get approvals by mid-October. Which is related too...

The PDC between the White Sox and Intimidators expires this year. It has not yet been extended. There are only two Class A affiliates left open - Kane County (was with Arizona this year), and Kannapolis (White Sox). The Sox probably want to extend with Kanny given the NC proximity thing and the new park coming, but it's not impossible the D-Backs make a better offer. Also, this means it is possible (though I'd say unlikely) that the Sox could have their A-ball team in Kane County!

I think Lexington, which was the Royals affiliate, is still available too for class A.