James Shields

bubba phillips

I know Shields has one year left on his contract for $16 million, or a $2 million buyout.  I know it's pretty much a foregone conclusion among Sox fans that the Sox will go the buyout route.

Is this a viable option to anyone (or is it even possible contract-wise)?  Pay him the 2 mill and then negotiate an incentive-filled contract for one year (at much less than $16 million).  There would be several benefits:  1.) his ERA this year is 3rd best among the starters, 2.) he's an "innings eater", something you need for a young starting staff that will be on limited innings, 3.) we will need a 4th and 5th starter, preferably someone with experience. 

If they’re signing a veteran innings eater, I wouldn’t have any problem with him being that veteran. More than likely, it will be somebody else though. Maybe Shields goes back to California...probably four teams out there could use a guy that makes his starts and you don’t have to count on him to have an ERA under 5.

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

I know Shields has one year left on his contract for $16 million, or a $2 million buyout.  I know it's pretty much a foregone conclusion among Sox fans that the Sox will go the buyout route.

Is this a viable option to anyone (or is it even possible contract-wise)?  Pay him the 2 mill and then negotiate an incentive-filled contract for one year (at much less than $16 million).  There would be several benefits:  1.) his ERA this year is 3rd best among the starters, 2.) he's an "innings eater", something you need for a young starting staff that will be on limited innings, 3.) we will need a 4th and 5th starter, preferably someone with experience. 

I would not be shocked if James Shields was back next year on something like a 1/5 + option kind of a deal.  Especially after losing Kopech, they need someone to eat innings.  if it isn't James Shields, it will be somebody like Shields.

2 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

I'm all for this as long as we could sign him to a one year contract with a team option to a second year.  Remember, when a player is at the last year of hsi contract, he tends a lot better as shown by the kind of year that Big Game James has had this year.

3 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

It is a possibility for sure but not $16M 

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It would be nice, not that it would do much good anyway.  Can't wait to get another Gillaspie, Cordell or Madeiros

I was told over and over it was a bad idea to add Moustaskas the previous off season because he cost a draft pick and Yolmer and others needed a chance to play even though Moose was dirt cheap at the time. So instead KC resigned him traded him at the deadline and they got 2 AAA players (one who hit .300 in AAA and has a great arm and the other came close to a perfect game after a few starts in the majors while the Sox saved $6M and drafted yet another OF with the pick we would have lost.

Hell I still get told it was a bad idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was told over and over it was a bad idea to add Moustaskas the previous off season because he cost a draft pick and Yolmer and others needed a chance to play even though Moose was dirt cheap at the time. So instead KC resigned him traded him at the deadline and they got 2 AAA players (one who hit .300 in AAA and has a great arm and the other came close to a perfect game after a few starts in the majors while the Sox saved $6M and drafted yet another OF with the pick we would have lost.

I hear ya, but your plan depends on the assumption that Hahn would have come up with that package.  That's a tenuous assumption.  See Todd Frazier, a similar player (and several other of Hahn's July deals).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You don't see any difference between signing a guy at a position where we should try someone out who is already in our system and signing a guy to fill a position where the guy  who should be filling it just went down for Tommy John surgery.

Edit: oh and just for reference I checked. B-R agrees with the ordering, Fangraphs WAR for each guy: Mike Moustakas 0.7, Matt Davidson 1.2, Yolmer Sanchez 1.6.

I have no idea why anyone would want James Shields to pitch for the White Sox next year. He was a little better this year than in the past, but what would make one think next year he won't be back to being his old awful self? I am sure he has had some nice words of wisdom for the young guys, but they have heard him, move on. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's about signing him bc he is good. we'd sign him bc he is a need w/ Kopech down and bc he is an innings eater.

IMO option 1 is we find a vet that may be around same cost, eats innings, and is a better flip candidate. Option 2 is Shields. Option 3 we roll with one of our prospects.

All in all I don't think Shields would be a terrible idea (Assuming he signs for a 1 yr cheap deal).

16 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

It's time to let him go. Tip your cap to him for being one of the few guys this year who threw 200 innings and find someone better. 

My suggestion is still Morton but I know that most think that's a long shot. 

Just to note - Morton has never in his career thrown more than 171 innings and he hit shoulder problems this year after throwing 150.

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have no idea why anyone would want James Shields to pitch for the White Sox next year. He was a little better this year than in the past, but what would make one think next year he won't be back to being his old awful self? I am sure he has had some nice words of wisdom for the young guys, but they have heard him, move on. 

No one WANTS to see him pitch.  But people also realize that there is value to having someone pitch 200 innings to make up for a very young bullpen, and a very young pitching staff so as to not tax the people that actually matter going forward.  If not James Shields, the White Sox have a need for someone just like James Shields. At this stage of the rebuild the quality of the innings is secondary to not burning up young arms.  It really is that simple.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one WANTS to see him pitch.  But people also realize that there is value to having someone pitch 200 innings to make up for a very young bullpen, and a very young pitching staff so as to not tax the people that actually matter going forward.  If not James Shields, the White Sox have a need for someone just like James Shields. At this stage of the rebuild the quality of the innings is secondary to not burning up young arms.  It really is that simple.

Exactly why I say why not bring him back.  I can remember many threads over the years discussing a fifth starter.  I'm not sure there are many of us who would be upset about a guy who can eat 200 innings and have an ERA under 5.00 as your number 5 starter.  Especially during a year when the team is rebuilding and full of young pitchers.  Forget about the fact that the guy's name is James Shields.  Look at what that guy can do for you.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

And what exactly are the chances of James Shields repeating this year's mediocre performance with another 200 innings next year? He'll be 37. I bet if he pitches, it will be a lot closer to the 117 he pitched in 2017. Time to move on and put that nightmare trade behind the organization. It isn't like he can be flipped for anything. This season proved that.  Someone like him, fine. But not him.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And what exactly are the chances of James Shields repeating this year's mediocre performance with another 200 innings next year? He'll be 37. I bet if he pitches, it will be a lot closer to the 117 he pitched in 2017. Time to move on and put that nightmare trade behind the organization. It isn't like he can be flipped for anything. This season proved that.  Someone like him, fine. But not him.

I agree. Go for someone younger on a possible 1 year plus an option type of deal and hope that you can catch lightning in a bottle with him and flip him with a controllable season.