James Shields

bubba phillips

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It doesn't make sense to me to pay 1/$7M for Shields or someone like him when you could potentially get similar or better production through deploy a strategy that a few teams had success with already. That $7M could be allocated elsewhere.

But its been a fairly limited strategy is it not? It's never been done for even half a season  unless you can say othewise.

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It doesn't make sense to me to pay 1/$7M for Shields or someone like him when you could potentially get similar or better production through deploy a strategy that a few teams had success with already. That $7M could be allocated elsewhere.

It takes a real bullpen to do that.  We barely know what we have out there, if at all.

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In otherwords, the Sox have zero faith in Stephens, Guerrero, Adams, Danish, and Fulmer as 2019 starters.

Makes sense given their 2018 seasons. Like I said earlier today, Charlotte is pretty barren right now. Signing a guy like Gio isn’t blocking anyone decent from an MLB opportunity any time soon.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Makes sense given their 2018 seasons. Like I said earlier today, Charlotte is pretty barren right now. Signing a guy like Gio isn’t blocking anyone decent from an MLB opportunity any time soon.

Opening day 2019, yes.

July 1, 2019, probably

September 1, 2019, maybe.

Opening day 2020, probably not.

July 1, 2020, if he isn't blocking someone the rebuild has bigger problems than not signing Gio.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It takes a real bullpen to do that.  We barely know what we have out there, if at all.

Rays bullpen are a bunch of journeymen or inexperienced arms. Teams has since followed suit do not have a dominant bullpen by any means. I think it’s a matter of mixing things up and keeping hitters off balance.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Outside of the big guys who will command larger contracts I'm pretty sure there aren't a hell of a lot of FA pitchers as reliable as Shields is who would settle on a 1 year deal.  If you had 20 starts this year pitched 150 innings without an ERA in higher than  5,00 without too bad of an injury history and aren't 35+ years old  you're probably going to get 2 years or one year at a higher salary like Happ .

You really should check the FA starting pitching market . Siim pickins  and lots of competition. If you wait and go cheap say hello to Derek Holland  Liriano, Edwin Jackson , Colon, , Marco Estrada or Shields. Maybe you luck out and get Matt Harvey on a 1 year deal where he doesn't get hurt again. Even Lance Lynn or Anibal Sanchez  could get 2 years.

But again, if we're signing someone in the late winter, it's to literally fill in because we don't have enough actual prospects pushing through for innings. Marco Estrada will work just fine. He'll have an ERA of 4.85, but it'll work just the same.

44 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

But again, if we're signing someone in the late winter, it's to literally fill in because we don't have enough actual prospects pushing through for innings. Marco Estrada will work just fine. He'll have an ERA of 4.85, but it'll work just the same.

I kind of agree with you, but at the same time, if the name of the game is "innings eating", Marco Estrada has exactly zero 200+ inning seasons. Shields has 10.

On 9/26/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jose Abreu said:

I kind of agree with you, but at the same time, if the name of the game is "innings eating", Marco Estrada has exactly zero 200+ inning seasons. Shields has 10.

Then it becomes 150 innings of Marco Estrada and 50 innings of a guy or two that has established himself in Charlotte. Or maybe Miguel Gonzalez or something. 

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Then it becomes 150 innings of Marco Estrada and 50 innings of a guy or two that has established himself in Charlotte. Or maybe Miguel Gonzalez or something. 

There's nothing stopping us from doing both. Honestly, we probably should. An innings eating guy with an ERA of 5 and a guy who maybe pitches 100 innings and then is either trade bait if he's good enough or replaced midseason by someone from Charlotte if he isn't...that fills our 4th and 5th rotation spots to start the year.

And, there will probably be some extra innings open in either September or when someone has a DL stint too.

• Like 1