Sox have "flexibility" to add "long term pieces"

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Was gonna create my own thread for this but it works here. Reading between the lines, given the other comments he made about pitching and our many outfield prospects, I 100% believe he's talking about Machado here. 

This is exactly how I took from the context.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly how I took from the context.

Well now I'm excited. This bidding war can't come soon enough. I'm still skeptical but as many have stated in prior weeks, it all comes down to whether or not we offer the most money. I don't really trust us to do that but this rebuild has been full of surprising moves so I guess you never know. 

12 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Well now I'm excited. This bidding war can't come soon enough. I'm still skeptical but as many have stated in prior weeks, it all comes down to whether or not we offer the most money. I don't really trust us to do that but this rebuild has been full of surprising moves so I guess you never know. 

It felt to me like they want to make a run at him, but they also don't want to raise expectations for it to happen when the odds are that it does not happen. 

Some of you guys will just eat up anything the front office says.

Reinsdorf will never sign off on what it takes to sign Machado. There is no reason to think he will no matter how many times Luis Robert is mentioned.

The Sox rebuild needs to succeed without any premium free agents, its just the nature with their owner.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Reinsdorf will never sign off on what it takes to sign Machado. There is no reason to think he will no matter how many times Luis Robert is mentioned.

The Sox rebuild needs to succeed without any premium free agents, its just the nature with their owner.

Cue the "BUT things are different now" responses regarding this particular ownership group and front office operating style...

• Like 1

Granted Moncada got a lot of bad calls but if you are challenging the K record you need to bring a lot of something else in your game. One thing we saw was Moncada and Anderson being worn out because of the roster situation. MLB doesn't care if teams end up with two bench players. The only other option is having pitchers who can hit and field or hitters and fielders who can pitch. If MLB added two roster spots some teams would add two pitchers. Not a good situation. 

8 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Yeah people like to mention that, but when they signed Robert, payroll was lower/was going to lower after making trades (Robertson, Frazier, Quintana, Melky, every other player dealt that I can't remember since there was so many). 

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

This makes me think Moncada might be moving. Maybe if Machado is missed on (as is likely), Moncada moves to third next year? It opens 2B for Madigral in about a year.

I doubt it. He really struggled in Boston  at 3B. Some of the media blamed his abnormal SO streak on his minset trying to play 3rd. In hindsight, that was not the case. When the Sox got him, Hahn immediately said he was moving back to 2nd. Until the hitting gets resolved, I doubt they move him back to 3B again. Maybe to the outfield is a possibility.  I guess 1B is also one. 

Edited by SCCWS

9 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

People will eat up anything positive considered how long this team has been bad. I was thinking last night, after watching Biebs make the Sox look like 8 year olds,who is going to be the future multiple time All Star this winter after the Sox hold their "hitter's camp". At this point, most of us will take anything. You can see it when people actually wouldn't mind James Shields to return. James Shields. We are excited about several guys who have OBP of .280. It will really be a pleasure when we can be excited about real players.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

*sneezing* Bullshit. Sorry Rick, I'm allergic to Bullshit. I'll believe it when I see it. Even if you have the dollars, it doesn't mean anyone will want to come here either. 

I am impressed how you can manage to call bullshit, and then type an outright falsehood in the very next sentence.  The history of playing signing huge contracts with awful teams is incredibly well documented.  If you don't see it, it isn't because it isn't true, it is because you don't want to see it.

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am impressed how you can manage to call bullshit, and then type an outright falsehood in the very next sentence.  The history of playing signing huge contracts with awful teams is incredibly well documented.  If you don't see it, it isn't because it isn't true, it is because you don't want to see it.

I call bullshit, because they'd have to offer 50-75MM more than anyone else to get Machado to come here. I don't trust them to do that. Even if they had the best offer, I doubt it would be more than 5-10MM more than the next best. For that, I would think that Machado would choose to go elsewhere. That is my rationale. I don't trust them to sign someone like Machado. I won't believe it until they actually pull it off and Machado, Harper, or anyone else that young and good in the near future is in a Sox uniform, and they're holding the Press Conference. Until that happens, I will continue to believe it is bullshit. If Hahn can pull it off, I'll give him credit. 

The fact there were rumors they wanted to get MM in for a year and sell him  on the "White Sox Culture" tells me a lot about the situation. They aren't going to be the highest bidder, they know that and he's not signing here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I call bullshit, because they'd have to offer 50-75MM more than anyone else to get Machado to come here. I don't trust them to do that. Even if they had the best offer, I doubt it would be more than 5-10MM more than the next best. For that, I would think that Machado would choose to go elsewhere. That is my rationale. I don't trust them to sign someone like Machado. I won't believe it until they actually pull it off and Machado, Harper, or anyone else that young and good in the near future is in a Sox uniform, and they're holding the Press Conference. Until that happens, I will continue to believe it is bullshit. If Hahn can pull it off, I'll give him credit. 

The fact there were rumors they wanted to get MM in for a year and sell him  on the "White Sox Culture" tells me a lot about the situation. They aren't going to be the highest bidder, they know that and he's not signing here. 

How do you know this on the first part?

As to the 2nd part that tells me the opposite.  They are really interested in the guy and they wanted to get him here even in a worthless year to try to sell him on coming here.  That is real interest.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

How do you know this?

I don't, but it took roughly 60MM in 2000 to get A-Rod to sign with Texas instead of anyone else. We all know how much he signed for. The next highest bid was 8/196. The team that gave him that offer is why I have a little bit of hope, but again I'll believe it when I see it. The Sox in 2000-2001 were coming of a 95 win season, a division title, the best regular season record in the AL and had the consensus #1 farm system in baseball.  That is why I believe they would have to beat the next offer by a lot to get Machado to sign here. The Sox are closer to the Rangers in 2000 than they are to their own situation then. If Harper or Machado sign with the Braves, it should shock nobody. They're closer to the Sox in 2000 than the Sox are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don't, but it took roughly 60MM in 2000 to get A-Rod to sign with Texas instead of anyone else. We all know how much he signed for. The next highest bid was 8/196. The team that gave him that offer is why I have a little bit of hope, but again I'll believe it when I see it. The Sox in 2000-2001 were coming of a 95 win season, a division title, the best regular season record in the AL and had the consensus #1 farm system in baseball.  That is why I believe they would have to beat the next offer by a lot to get Machado to sign here. The Sox are closer to the Rangers in 2000 than they are to their own situation then. If Harper or Machado sign with the Braves, it should shock nobody. They're closer to the Sox in 2000 than the Sox are. 

If your work is going off of a single offer, you are missing a rather large body of work when it comes to free agents signing with bad teams.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If your work is going off of a single offer, you are missing a rather large body of work when it comes to free agents signing with bad teams.

There hasn't been a FA duo this good and this young since A-Rod and Manny Ramirez in 2000. They are the only true comparisons here. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It doesn't need to be a duo to be a comparison point.

There isn't really any other comparison point. I don't think there has been a player that reached FA at age 25 or 26 since A-Rod and Manny. The other thing is that both Harper and Machado are superstars, similar to A-Rod and Manny and even if there was a player somewhat comparable, they weren't as good as those 4 players mentioned. Those two bidding wars are the only real comparison to this coming offseason. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There isn't really any other comparison point. I don't think there has been a player that reached FA at age 25 or 26 since A-Rod and Manny. The other thing is that both Harper and Machado are superstars, similar to A-Rod and Manny and even if there was a player somewhat comparable, they weren't as good as those 4 players mentioned. Those two bidding wars are the only real comparison to this coming offseason. 

There have been plenty of superstar free agencies in the last 20 years.  Again, if you are only going to use Arod, that is pretty disingenuous.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

*sneezing* Bullshit. Sorry Rick, I'm allergic to Bullshit. I'll believe it when I see it. Even if you have the dollars, it doesn't mean anyone will want to come here either. 

Your definition of bullshit seems to be something not to be believed, while I understand bullshit to mean something that is not true being presented as true.  As I understand it, Hahn is bullshitting us if he knows that they won't try to sign someone like Machado (whom he didn't mention, by they way).  It is not bullshit if he sincerely wants to try and knows that ownership will support that effort.

1 minute ago, asindc said:

Your definition of bullshit seems to be something not to be believed, while I understand bullshit to mean something that is not true being presented as true.  As I understand it, Hahn is bullshitting us if he knows that they won't try to sign someone like Machado (whom he didn't mention, by they way).  It is not bullshit if he sincerely wants to try and knows that ownership will support that effort.

I think both are correct. I think he's talking out of his ass. It is a PR stunt. 

• Thanks 1