Sox have "flexibility" to add "long term pieces"

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

That's because you are just a casual fan, versus being a die-hard fan, like the poster who you berated.  

As the casual fan you are, you've made it very clear over the years that you are completely content with the Sox as long as they are playing the grand, 'ol game of baseball while wearing jerseys that say "SOX" on them.  That checks off on all of the boxes that are meaningful to you.

Meanwhile, the diehard Sox fans, just like diehard fans of any team of any sport, will often get emotional, particularly if they are faced with the kind of chronic losing our fans have been faced with, which will spill over into anger from time to time.  That's the nature of a diehard fan, always has been, always will be.  You as a mere casual fan really should try a little harder to realize and acknowledge that.   

Thank you for watching my back, I am just a fan that cares

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you truly believe that? There is a ton of uncertainty with a lot of the Sox prospects and young MLB players. You can't say anything for sure. The surest thing the Sox have is Eloy and everyone else is a massive question mark currently. In  October 2017 it was much more plausible than it is now. There are players I WANT to believe in, but their performance doesn't justify the faith I have that they will turn it around. Because of that, out of all of the teams that are 2+ seasons into their rebuild, The Sox are among the most questionable that they'll have a winning record anytime soon. If I was speaking with my heart, of course I'd agree. But my brain says otherwise. 

I don't know.  I felt better about things pre Kopech injury, for sure.  I look across the AL, and I don't see a ton of teams outside of the Yankees and Red Sox, and wish I had their crop of young players more than the Sox.  

I also don't believe that the White Sox are universally considered a bottom of the barrel option for all FA like most Sox fans seems to believe.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Obviously Jimenez is off limits.  But I don't necessarily have a problem with trading away some of the young organizational talent for a return like Yelich, so long as it pans out.  As we've seen, these prospects are certainly not guarantees either.  

And you'd've been one of the first ones railing against the incompetence of the FO if they had traded the pieces necessary to pull that off and he'd been injured in spring training instead of having an MVP caliber season.

That's the thing about trading players, there's no way to eliminate risk in the process.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't know.  I felt better about things pre Kopech injury, for sure.  I look across the AL, and I don't see a ton of teams outside of the Yankees and Red Sox, and wish I had their crop of young players more than the Sox.  

I also don't believe that the White Sox are universally considered a bottom of the barrel option for all FA like most Sox fans seems to believe.  

I hate to bring this up, but 3 people got shot on 35th and LaSalle yesterday. I went to IIT and nothing happened anything close to that when I was there, however you bet there are going to be questions about safety for a wealthy athlete in that area now.  It is kind of weird because I ate at that Jimmy Johns and studied at that Starbucks multiple times a week for 4 years. I can't even count how many times I was there at the time those people were shot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

And you'd've been one of the first ones railing against the incompetence of the FO if they had traded the pieces necessary to pull that off and he'd been injured in spring training instead of having an MVP caliber season.

That's the thing about trading players, there's no way to eliminate risk in the process.

The FO seems to get a lot more wrong than right lately.  They need to turn it around.  Jake Burger a bust.  Carson Fulmer a bust.  Zack Collins, meh.  Moncada, meh (so far).  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Had we traded for Yelich, we'd be without one of Eloy/Robert and one of Cease/Dunning right now. The anti-Hahn backlash would've shut this site down. 

Backing up the truck for Yelich in the first year of the rebuild?  It would have been worse than the Supreme Court drama today.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Special K said:

The FO seems to get a lot more wrong than right lately.  They need to turn it around.  Jake Burger a bust.  Carson Fulmer a bust.  Zack Collins, meh.  Moncada, meh (so far).  

All of the players you mentioned will be 25 or younger next season. That's really quick to write them off.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Backing up the truck for Yelich in the first year of the rebuild?  It would have been worse than the Supreme Court drama today.

I'm just advocating for making some smart moves to get top caliber talent.  I don't see us obtaining that through FA and we will need it to win.  Brewers just did it.  

You can't tell me everything about the rebuild has been right so far.  It's okay to criticize the FO.  We haven't been to the playoffs in a decade. 

It's better than blindly defending every move.  For example, if Kopech doesn't come back, and Moncada is a bust, the Sale deal is probably one of the worst trades in MLB history.  No matter how good the deal looked at the time to the White Sox, Boston was comfortable letting Moncada walk.  Their FO seems to have known better.  Things could definitely turnaround, but as of now, this FO does not get the benefit of the doubt.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you truly believe that? There is a ton of uncertainty with a lot of the Sox prospects and young MLB players. You can't say anything for sure. The surest thing the Sox have is Eloy and everyone else is a massive question mark currently. In  October 2017 it was much more plausible than it is now. There are players I WANT to believe in, but their performance doesn't justify the faith I have that they will turn it around. Because of that, out of all of the teams that are 2+ seasons into their rebuild, The Sox are among the most questionable that they'll have a winning record anytime soon. If I was speaking with my heart, of course I'd agree. But my brain says otherwise. 

You are 100% correct, nice to see a poster who knows what they are talking about. Hey bubba is the sentence to long.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Special K said:

I'm just advocating for making some smart moves to get top caliber talent.  I don't see us obtaining that through FA and we will need it to win.  Brewers just did it.  

You can't tell me everything about the rebuild has been right so far.  It's okay to criticize the FO.  We haven't been to the playoffs in a decade. 

It's better than blindly defending every move.  For example, if Kopech doesn't come back, and Moncada is a bust, the Sale deal is probably one of the worst trades in MLB history.  No matter how good the deal looked at the time to the White Sox, Boston was comfortable letting Moncada walk.  Their FO seems to have known better.  Things could definitely turnaround, but as of now, this FO does not get the benefit of the doubt.  

Yelich isn't top caliber talent.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't see the correlation between players sighing big deals with bad teams and having won the World Series already.  Examples?

Off the top of my head  Hosmer. Cano, Pujols ,Lester, Sandoval ,Shields. The correlation works the other way too .Players who haven't won a WS signing with teams that they think are more likely to win. It's easier to find guys who haven't won going to contenders  but harder to prove if that was the best offer without knowing other teams and offers involved.

I also think the hardest thing to find is players who haven't won anything going to a bad team which is the boat the Sox are in with Machado and Harper.

I know in the history of baseball its easy to find examples that go for or with the grain on any of these theories and a history of signings probably has been done at one point but any time you ask for something like you did it's easy to come back and say  is that all you found ? There have just been a ton of free agent signings and doing research is a time consuming thing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

17 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Some of you guys will just eat up anything the front office says.

Reinsdorf will never sign off on what it takes to sign Machado. There is no reason to think he will no matter how many times Luis Robert is mentioned.

The Sox rebuild needs to succeed without any premium free agents, its just the nature with their owner.

More bold claims with no evidence. 

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

More bold claims with no evidence. 

It’s probably even more foolish to believe that we have a team with virtually the lowest possible payroll without the intention of adding impact FAs to it. I have so many posts saved to laugh at once we end up signing one of these guys in the next few years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

That's because you are just a casual fan, versus being a die-hard fan, like the poster who you berated.  

As the casual fan you are, you've made it very clear over the years that you are completely content with the Sox as long as they are playing the grand, 'ol game of baseball while wearing jerseys that say "SOX" on them.  That checks off on all of the boxes that are meaningful to you.

Meanwhile, the diehard Sox fans, just like diehard fans of any team of any sport, will often get emotional, particularly if they are faced with the kind of chronic losing our fans have been faced with, which will spill over into anger from time to time.  That's the nature of a diehard fan, always has been, always will be.  You as a mere casual fan really should try a little harder to realize and acknowledge that.   

I think you have it backwards. The die hard roots for the team and enjoys the game no matter what. They are tied to the team.

You are tied to and a die hard fan of wins and wins only. There is nothing wrong With emotion and anger but die hard still root for the the team no matter what.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

It’s probably even more foolish to believe that we have a team with virtually the lowest possible payroll without the intention of adding impact FAs to it. I have so many posts saved to laugh at once we end up signing one of these guys in the next few years. 

I suppose there will be a lot of impact free agents in the next 3 years. Maybe we can get a list of who you consider to be an IFA so in case we don't sign one you can take that list of saved posts and apologize to them all .

I'm not saying we won't sign any, just saying it works both ways.

Don't even have to name players if you don't want to. Maybe just what you consider an impact contract.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think you have it backwards. The die hard roots for the team and enjoys the game no matter what. They are tied to the team.

You are tied to and a die hard fan of wins and wins only. There is nothing wrong With emotion and anger but die hard still root for the the team no matter what.

Mic drop.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am a diehard Soxman but the metrics don't place this org in a favorable light. Machado doesn't want to play in front of 12000 fans for a team that gets little national press. I suppose you might find a guy who wants to lead a rebuild but who would that be. We will have to make do with Jon Heyman rumors that the White Sox are darkhorse favorites to sign Machado or Harper. I can see it now.