Sox have "flexibility" to add "long term pieces"

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Great post. FWIW, people in ticketing and marketing department expect a big run at Manny Machado from what some of them have been told. 

If that's truly the case wouldn't you think the Sox also make moves to get better and fill some holes around Machado ? I'd have to think if they are trying to sell him there has to be a better reason than Wellington Castillo and a massive payday.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If that's truly the case wouldn't you think the Sox also make moves to get better and fill some holes around Machado ? I'd have to think if they are trying to sell him there has to be a better reason than Wellington Castillo and a massive payday.

This is literally reasons 1-5 for a guy like Manny Machado.  If he wanted to be comfortable, he would have resigned in Baltimore years ago.  If he wanted to be in a particular market, he would have demanded a trade years ago. Instead he moved through his six years of service without doing either, so he could get to free agency ASAP.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is literally reasons 1-5 for a guy like Manny Machado.  If he wanted to be comfortable, he would have resigned in Baltimore years ago.  If he wanted to be in a particular market, he would have demanded a trade years ago. Instead he moved through his six years of service without doing either, so he could get to free agency ASAP.

These are highly competitive young men and the whole point of playing besides the money is winning.

I think you are sorely mistaken. If they do sign Machado i expect other moves. Maybe not WS winning moves but moves to be above .500

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

These are highly competitive young men and the whole point of playing besides the money is winning.

I think you are sorely mistaken. If they do sign Machado i expect other moves. Maybe not WS winning moves but moves to be above .500

One scenario I could see speeding things up is if the Sox can sign Machado.  My underlying assumptions for how we act this winter are based on the White Sox NOT signing him.  If we did get him, I could see us investing in more pitching for sure.  But I think the odds of him signing aren't great, and we do nothing of note over the winter.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

One scenario I could see speeding things up is if the Sox can sign Machado.  My underlying assumptions for how we act this winter are based on the White Sox NOT signing him.  If we did get him, I could see us investing in more pitching for sure.  But I think the odds of him signing aren't great, and we do nothing of note over the winter.

Fair enough.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:41 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Only if you have no idea what a rebuild looks like.

I know what a successful rebuild looks like. This ain't it.

Last time they were trying to put a bunch of free agents around 3 quality players:  Sale, Q and Eaton.  Now they would do it around...what exactly? A few players who may turn out to be good.  Both premature.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think there's a decent chance we do sign Machado, but I will just be stupefied if the White Sox sign Machado and then go and sign Keuchel or Corbin, block their upcoming pitchers, burn through all their available free agent money, and start declaring that they think they can compete for the Central next year.

If they sign Machado, it's for the reason RH said at the start of this thread - he can't control when a guy hits free agency, so when a guy hits who fills a major role, even if he has to burn a season, he'd consider it.

3 hours ago, Special K said:

If we do nothing of note, and then go all in on Arenado and re-sign Sale, I could live with that.  

I think Sale, unfortunately,  will re-sign in Boston. As I have posted a couple of times, he seems to be a very different person. so far. There is never a peep about him other than strictly baseball stuff.  David Price is constantly in the crosshairs of the Boston media  and everything Chris Sale is very positive, both ways. Hopefully, money becomes an issue w Betts coming up first but Boston usually finds boatloads when they need it. 

18 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think Sale, unfortunately,  will re-sign in Boston. As I have posted a couple of times, he seems to be a very different person. so far. There is never a peep about him other than strictly baseball stuff.  David Price is constantly in the crosshairs of the Boston media  and everything Chris Sale is very positive, both ways. Hopefully, money becomes an issue w Betts coming up first but Boston usually finds boatloads when they need it. 

They have a solid amount of money coming off the books at the end of 2019 in Sandoval and Porcello and others. I think there's probably room to extend Sale and Betts that year and still be able to get back under the tax level if that's the way they want to go. If they win a world series before then, that's even more money for them to work with.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

By this logic, there are like 5-6 teams in baseball that any FA would want to sign with.  I just don't buy it.  

That would not explain why the average per game attendance is about 30K. We hear Hawk raving when 25K show up for Family Sunday. We are among the bottom-feeders in that category. No reason to gloss it over. The visiting teams know what things are like here. I would rather not be force-fed a bunch of PR about going after the big fish. 

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think there's a decent chance we do sign Machado, but I will just be stupefied if the White Sox sign Machado and then go and sign Keuchel or Corbin, block their upcoming pitchers, burn through all their available free agent money, and start declaring that they think they can compete for the Central next year.

If they sign Machado, it's for the reason RH said at the start of this thread - he can't control when a guy hits free agency, so when a guy hits who fills a major role, even if he has to burn a season, he'd consider it.

Who are these upcoming pitchers you can really count on?  To me, the Kopech injury was a crushing blow to the rebuild from an internal standpoint.

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who are these upcoming pitchers you can really count on?  To me, the Kopech injury was a crushing blow to the rebuild from an internal standpoint.

Why do you think I immediately stopped talking about 2020 and started saying that it had to be 2021? Because without Kopech at the top we have a lot of talented pitchers but many of them still need time and work to turn into anything.

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you just spent the NK defense budget for Machado to butcher your SS position through Trump's third term. Where does the rebuild go from there. Do you keep Abreu and Avi or invest in Fulmer and Covey while sewing a C on Castillo's jersey. Thanks for playing and I will hang up and listen on my Clutch Cargo fitbit. 

3 hours ago, pcq said:

So you just spent the NK defense budget for Machado to butcher your SS position through Trump's third term. Where does the rebuild go from there. Do you keep Abreu and Avi or invest in Fulmer and Covey while sewing a C on Castillo's jersey. Thanks for playing and I will hang up and listen on my Clutch Cargo fitbit. 

:lolhitting

14 hours ago, fathom said:

This x100000. One day I was writing about the death of the tank and now I feel like its the death of the rebuild.

At the time I was writing about the death of the tank Kopech came up. Rodon , Giolito and Lopez were coming around and the Sox were playing .500 ball for a long stretch.all with a lineup that wasn't very good offensively and defensively.

Now Kopech is out for a year Rodon and Giolito have sucked lately and the whole team looks tired and as uninspired we we all do here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony said:

Still not ready to lay out your rebuild plan?

He might not have a rebuild plan but if JR was smart enough to hire me as the GM I would have a rebuild plan that would make every White Sox fan happy. The problem that I see is Hahn is signed thru the 2019 season. JR is not going to release him and pay him off. I wish he would but I don't see it happening. Hahn has to be worried about his job. If the 2019 White Season is another bad one, I would doubt he would be rehired. And believe me he will never get another MLB GM job again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

He might not have a rebuild plan but if JR was smart enough to hire me as the GM I would have a rebuild plan that would make every White Sox fan happy. The problem that I see is Hahn is signed thru the 2019 season. JR is not going to release him and pay him off. I wish he would but I don't see it happening. Hahn has to be worried about his job. If the 2019 White Season is another bad one, I would doubt he would be rehired. And believe me he will never get another MLB GM job again.

Sure he will.  He interviews well.

40 minutes ago, Tony said:

That Chatwood and Arrieta signing would have gone over big this year on the South Side...

Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin AND Dave Robertson will go over big in 2019 on the South Side. Just adding these 3 pitchers would change the outlook of this team for the next few years. That would be my start. I WOULD MAKE THE WHITE SOX GREAT AGAIN!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin AND Dave Robertson will go over big in 2019 on the South Side. Just adding these 3 pitchers would change the outlook of this team for the next few years. That would be my start. I WOULD MAKE THE WHITE SOX GREAT AGAIN!!!!

:lolhitting

I love how even Robertson gets included. It worked d*** well last time!