Sox have "flexibility" to add "long term pieces"

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

He might not have a rebuild plan but if JR was smart enough to hire me as the GM I would have a rebuild plan that would make every White Sox fan happy. The problem that I see is Hahn is signed thru the 2019 season. JR is not going to release him and pay him off. I wish he would but I don't see it happening. Hahn has to be worried about his job. If the 2019 White Season is another bad one, I would doubt he would be rehired. And believe me he will never get another MLB GM job again.

Your ceiling is assistant fries clerk at Checker. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin AND Dave Robertson will go over big in 2019 on the South Side. Just adding these 3 pitchers would change the outlook of this team for the next few years. That would be my start. I WOULD MAKE THE WHITE SOX GREAT AGAIN!!!!

This ain’t it.

To elaborate, I think one area to focus on would be high ceiling, volatile players like that which may be in the next tier that teams like mariners etc would go after.

Pollock is in that tier, Brantley too, I would not be surprised if these are the guys out there in February. If they are just league average after half a season try to move them, if you strike big hold on.

This team has too many holes and with TJ for Kopech this seems like an incredibly stupid idea. If anything we should be tearing things down further.

We need to move Abreu in the offseason as well as Garcia. Bring in some high ceiling vets on shortterm deals then try to go for it the following year with Kopech coming back and having seen some of the young guys in AA/AAA we should have a good idea then.

Edited by wrathofhahn

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

This team has too many holes and with TJ for Kopech this seems like an incredibly stupid idea. If anything we should be tearing things down further.

We need to move Abreu in the offseason as well as Garcia. Bring in some high ceiling vets on shortterm deals then try to go for it the following year with Kopech coming back and having seen some of the young guys in AA/AAA we should have a good idea then. 

Good luck getting anything of value for either, as both are coming off bad seasons. Abreu's market wasn't that great before his 2018 season. Now it would probably be non-existent. Most teams view him as a DH. Nobody really needs one in the AL anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Good luck getting anything of value for either coming off bad seasons. 

Do I think we'll get value tremendous value? Probably not.

Still there is no point in wasting another year of valuable time. Get what we can from these guys and move on. Abreu doesn't have much control left it's pointless to pretend we will be contenders next year.

Edited by wrathofhahn

4 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Do I think we'll get value tremendous value? Probably not.

Still there is no point in wasting another year of valuable time. Get what we can from these guys and move on. Abreu doesn't have much control left it's pointless to pretend we will be contenders next year.

If you're ok trading them for a bag of used baseballs, be my guest. I'd rather just watch them play in 2019 and let them walk at the end of next season. I think Avi is a non-tender candidate. The only reason he might get tendered is because the Sox payroll is so low. Abreu isn't blocking anyone and neither is Avi.

Davidson needs to go. That is a guy that is a waste of a roster spot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you're ok trading them for a bag of used baseballs, be my guest. I'd rather just watch them play in 2019 and let them walk at the end of next season. I think Avi is a non-tender candidate. The only reason he might get tendered is because the Sox payroll is so low. Abreu isn't blocking anyone and neither is Avi. 

I will be shocked if he is non-tendered. It is more likely that he comes back healthy, after knee surgery, and starts the season in RF. No one is ready to replace him there, and he does not have enough trade value, for that scenario.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I will be shocked if he is non-tendered. It is more likely that he comes back healthy, after knee surgery, and starts the season in RF. No one is ready to replace him there, and he does not have enough trade value, for that scenario.

I agree and I meant if he wasn't on the team, it would be more likely that they non-tendered him as he has basically zero trade value. I think the Sox are likely to bring him back, but there is a non-zero chance they non-tender him, depending on what they're hearing about Arb numbers. 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I won't.  It is my prediction that it happens. 

If Avi goes to arbitration, what is he likely to get next year?  He was paid $6.7 Million this year, but he had a lousy year.  If Sox are looking at paying him anything above $5 MM, he is probably gone.  Chances are, arbitration might get him more than this year's salary. IOW, non-tendered.

11 minutes ago, oldsox said:

If Avi goes to arbitration, what is he likely to get next year?  He was paid $6.7 Million this year, but he had a lousy year.  If Sox are looking at paying him anything above $5 MM, he is probably gone.  Chances are, arbitration might get him more than this year's salary. IOW, non-tendered.

Probably more like $10m. Theoretically the biggest paycut he could get would be 20% or $5.36m thru the arb system. 

8 hours ago, bmags said:

To elaborate, I think one area to focus on would be high ceiling, volatile players like that which may be in the next tier that teams like mariners etc would go after.

Pollock is in that tier, Brantley too, I would not be surprised if these are the guys out there in February. If they are just league average after half a season try to move them, if you strike big hold on.

If they are going to fill the team with 2nd team free agents, there is no reason to have tried to rebuild in the first place. That's exactly what they did in 2015 with FA signings and ouigi board trades.   And it would be worse this time because at least then there were 3 studs to build around.   And with those 3 studs, the results were ugly.

Machado or Harper, fine.  But forget the 2nd tier guys - they aren't cornerstone players and the Sox have 0 cornerstone players.

Edited by GreenSox

22 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

I don't think the White Sox will lose 100 next year, but the demands of some posters here are downright stupid.  Hahn said this was the bottom.  You all promised you would be smarter.

He even said ahead of this year that it would be the worst year of the rebuild.  He was right.  Go figure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baker said:

Whoever the Sox sign I hope it doesn’t include a no-trade condition. Look at the way the Marlins got boxed in with Stanton. Then again, they did get Starlin Castro out of it. 

If the Sox aren't giving these kinds of incentives, they aren't getting any of the top guys.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He even said ahead of this year that it would be the worst year of the rebuild.  He was right.  Go figure.

Exactly.  Here everyone is like "Hahn won't be around in 2020 if...." but they fail to realize Hahn is doing exactly what he said he would do.  There's no way in hell he gets fired.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Seibu officially announced they’re posting Yusei Kikuchi. I want him really badly because I love NPB, but I honestly don’t know if its a smart buy. He’s had minor but recurring shoulder issues, and I think he’s realistically a mid-rotation guy over here. 

That's someone I think the Sox should definitely check in on. Possibly a nice middle of the rotation lefty. Fangraphs comped him to Corbin. I have no idea what he will cost though.

21 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Davidson needs to go. That is a guy that is a waste of a roster spot. 

This is just not true about Davidson. I will say that I wasn't a believer coming into the season either. He mashed LHP though and should be in a DH platoon with Palka next year. Vs LHP: .289/.382/.500 with a .381 wOBA and 144 wRC+

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is just not true about Davidson. I will say that I wasn't a believer coming into the season either. He mashed LHP though and should be in a DH platoon with Palka next year. Vs LHP: .289/.382/.500 with a .381 wOBA and 144 wRC+

A DH platoon seems like a waste of resources with as limited as bench sizes are in 2018.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A DH platoon seems like a waste of resources with as limited as bench sizes are in 2018.

Maybe so but there's no reason to keep 13 pitchers. 12 is fine. Davidson has a 144 wRC+ vs LHP and Palka has a 120 wRC+ vs RHP. The A's do this every season. Figure it out.